"I don't seem to feature in your plans."

Okay, so one of my strikers was on a bad run of 6 games without scoring so I decided to tell him that I'm putting him in the reserves because he hadn't been playing well enough. One day later, without playing for the first or reserve team, he comes to me and says that he thinks he doesn't feature in my plans. This is total rubbish as he has scored around 30 goals in 40 appearances, does he not understand that he's getting punished?

has this happened to anyone else?

If a first team player is put in the reserves that response is triggered. Apparently it doesn't matter why (to some players - might have something to do with Professionalism).

So no he doesn't understand that he is being punished. That response appears to be a on/off thing that is not context-sensitive. Can't you tell him that if he plays well in the reserves he will be featured in the first team again? If he is professional he might agree to that.

If a player suffers from a goal-drought or, as in your case, is on his way to, there are two things that works.

A) make him available for reserves (i.e don't relegate him) so that he scores again there, and

B) boost his morale and tell him no pressure (you can do this by telling him that he needs to pick up on his form, or telling him that he hasn't been training hard enough, or disciplining him for poor performance last game - a warning for 6.40 or lower).

Well, you can always just play him and hope that he scores in the end but unless your team is very superior so that you don't rely on him scoring the goals that might not be such a good idea.

Ashley, you may have been harsh, but the players response was still not suited to the situation.

He should of complained about being pushed down to the reserves (not really about featuring in your plans) and asked to be played in the first team or transferred.

Instead of dumping them, keep them in your first team, have a talk about poor performance and make them available for the reserves for a week or two :)

Yes as I said your logic is probably not coded into the game. The same way increasing disciplinary punishment for repeated poor discipline sounds logical to us but is not in the game either. Both player interaction options have only one function; a slight morale bump.

Archived