Shoots with power vs. places shots ppm

The "shoots with power" and the "places shots" ppms are mutually exclusive (i.e. no player can have both). Thus, we can instruct players to go for power when they shoot or for accuracy/placement. Coaches and assistant managers frequently give advice on whether we should train particular players to "shoot with power" or to "place shots". Do people know what should go into this decision?

The most detailed discussion I could find was in the "Guide to Football Manager", here: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/preferred-moves#shoots-with-power ; and here: http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/preferred-moves#places-shots . According to this guide, finishing and technique play a role in the success of either "placed" shots or powerful shots. The difference seems to be that "places shots" is only advisable when the player has high composure. Do people agree with this? I wonder whether choosing one or the other should come down only to high composure vs. low composure, but also to high/low technique and finishing itself (i.e. if finishing skill is low, the player may as well just shoot with power?). A striker will have to shoot in someway, so even if his finishing is low, I would say that it may be useful to suggest him to place shots or shoot with power. So, I have been opting to give the shoot with power ppm when finishing is low. Finally, besides finishing, technique and composure, I wonder if "strength" also influences the ability to shoot with power. Does anyone know if it does?

Similarly, I wonder about when to give the shoot with power from free kicks instruction... should we give it when long shots is high? But does high "long shots" just mean high accuracy of long shots or also ability to shoot them with power? Seems to me like some free kicks should be shot with power (when a bit more removed from the area) and some with less power, and more placement (when just outside the box). Unfortunately, we can only decide on the side the free kick taker (left or right), but not on the distance, so I don't know if it is wise to give "shoots with power from free kicks". If it is, under what conditions?

Would be happy to hear your thoughts!

I like to make up my mind for this (and other PPM's) after watching the player play for me for a longer period. It often becomes obvious which type of shots the player is more and less successful with.

If I see a striker wasting a lot of chances by blasting the ball I will consider placing shots for him, but only if he has more success with placing shots in the first place. Ideally that striker would be able to decide what to do, but he may need a nudge.

If I'm happy with the way a player is putting away chances well in a variety of ways, I'd steer away from teaching him any PPM's in fear of restricting him to a specific way. He's obviously capable of making up his own mind.

If a player is shooting relatively well but rather too weakly with the goalie saving many of the shots, and I feel like "If only there was more power behind that, it would have been in!" I'd think of shoots with power.

If there's a player that can't finish for his life, I'd just tell him to look for pass rather than wasting the opportunity himself.

If a striker is missing (horribly) all his chances with the weaker foot, I'd say to him, try not to shoot with your weaker foot.

For the long shots often PPM, I'd stay far away from it for the more attacking players, because they tend to shoot from distance anyway and I'd like them to do it only when they feel like it's on. The situation where I get a feeling that shooting would be nice is when the ball is played back to a more defensive midfielder, I go "shoot it!", and he plays it to the full back instead. Of course the shooting is desirable only if he has the ability.

For each player, imagine what would make him a better goalscorer (based on what you have seen if you can) and teach him the skills to do that.

I think that I have taught more powerful, bigger people to shoot with power more often than anyone else. Perhaps the strength has something to do with it, but I haven't really thought about it.

Archived