Creating a defensively solid 4-4-2 (FM2010)

I'm managing Queen Park Rangers in the CH and I've been trying to create a tactic that starts from a solid organisation to squeeze out narrow wins. I really want to use a 4-4-2 formation because I'm stubborn like that (and because it suits the players I have).

I had the idea that if I use rigid/counter and set my 2 MC's to defend duty I could minimize the gap between my defenders and my midfielders, thereby denying space to the opponent's forwards. I wouldn't get a lot of possession because I'd be surrendering the midfield but screw that. However, I'm not getting it to work defensively. When I set closing down to regular my defence is dragged too easily out of shape I'm getting too many passes in the hole and when I set closing down to standing off I'm still getting too many through passes. Using regular tackles seems to get opponents players to get past them anyway and using cautious tackling seems opponents free to stroll wherever they like to. Either way the opponents often plays merry tiki-taka through the heart of my defence and I'm easily getting 20 shots at my goal every game. I've also conceded 11 games in a row.

Any suggestion welcome, though I would really try to get to work with a 4-4-2/counter strategy.

I had roaming set to stick to position and as you can see the MC/D was also too far removed from the defensive line. In my experience the BW is the worst option with the counter strategy, as he leaves horrible gaps chasing the opposition FB inside his own half or something like that. In that particular match I had suffered 2 goals until I decided to push higher up, which only resulted in pin-point passes behind my defense. The opposing team ended up scoring 4 barca-style goals in the first half (after that I quit the game in rage).

I'm still having the same issues, the opposition plays pin-point passes straight through the center like its nothing and it's driving me nuts.

Rigid

Counter-strategy

Default passing

Disciplined

Press more

Default tackling

Zonal marking

Stick to position

Shout: play narrower

Both DCs set to CD/D, midfield set to MC/D and BTB/S (no roaming)

I'm having the same issue over and over: even though the center of the field is pretty packed, when one of my MCs closes down the opposition MC, he plays a pass straight to an opposition striker in the hole who in turn will play a pass behind my defence to another striker or a winger. When I set closing down to standing off the opposition, I'm just giving the opposition the time to pinpoint their passes straight to the striker that's running behind the defence and when I set closing down to default I'm getting both.

I'm still having the same issues, the opposition plays pin-point passes straight through the center like its nothing and it's driving me nuts.

That's the reason very few teams play with 2 real strikers anymore. The opponent's playmaker can sit in front of the two banks of 4 and pick his pass with all the time in the world. The 4-4-1-1 is a lot more solid defensively because then the opponent's won't have a free midfielder anymore. Or you can use one of your strikers to sit in front of your midfield.

It's hardly any better with a 4-4-1-1. The opposition effortlessly passes straight through the middle of the park. I'd understand it if it where to happen against triangle midfields, but most teams I'm up against use conventional 4-4-2. It's somewhat better when I use the play narrower shout, but the counter strategy has a fairly narrow width to begin with. It shouldn't be this easy for them.

A rigid philosophy will increase the space between your lines by creating a bigger mentality difference between players. If you play more fluid you will still have the inherent issue with the 4-4-2 that there is a square space in front of your defence where people can drop into but it will make the space between the lines a bit smaller so it's easier to pick them up. Playing with a higher line or more narrow will also help. Another reason why the space gets bigger is because you are sitting back but pressing at the same time. Basically you are lowering your defensive line and then telling the players in front of the deep line to put pressure onto the field. If you want to defend more compactly either play a deep line and sit back or play a high line and press.

Archived