My biggest ever FM mistake ....

... I'm managing France on FM12, have won the world cup and now the only senior tournament I haven't won in my 20+ season career is the European Championship. We've been shorn of our best attacking midfielder and our world class left winger due to injury, but I'm still pretty confident, coming into the tournament on a 28 game unbeaten run and frankly the other European powers are no great shakes at the moment. I don't really enjoy international management though and intend to quit after it regardless of how well we get on.

First game we lose 1-0 to the Ukraine having dominated the game and conceding to their only shot of the match when my central defender & goalie have a mix up and the CB heads it out of the goalie's grasp into the oncoming forward who puts it away. Oh well not to worry I will surely beat the Czech republic. No, we lose to them 0-1 again having dominated the game but my attacking players turning into Ronny Rosenthal in the penalty box (yes, it's my tactics, I know - I do struggle to play well against teams who park the bus and foul a lot). Final group game we restore some pride with a 3-0 win over Bulgaria.

At this point it's resolved that we have finished 3rd in the group and I RESIGN thinking the Euro championship works like the World Cup and we are out of the tournament! Only to see in my newsfeed that France have beaten Italy 3-1 in the 2nd round, and I think what's going on, and realise the best third placed teams also go through! DOH. You can imagine my combination of embarrassment, frustration and annoyance. Picture the press conference IRL, "So, why did choose to make this shock resignation Mr Manager?", "Well, I was disappointed in how we'd played, and having gone out of the tournament felt it was time for a new man to take the team forward", "But Mr Manager, you are through to the second round playing Italy ...". Forehead on table moment.

Anyone else made such a stupid mistake?

TL;DR summary - I resigned as France manager thinking I'd been knocked out of the European Championship, when in fact we'd gone through as the best third placed group teams go through not just the top 2.

Ouch :D. Yeah the new 24-team format means 4 of the best 6 3rd place teams get through. Having seen numerous tournaments, it usually means that 3 pts + a decent GD will get you through, Ive also seen a team go through with 2 pts once.

Not to sound an arse, but why did you not just take a glance at the format/rules page? Did you not raise an eyebrow when you saw that there were 6 groups instead of 4 in the tournament? I'm actually very over zealous about it; If I go into a competition that I'm not familiar with, I make a point of checking the rules multiple times, looking at past editions, as well as doing research on the format via the internet etc.

Anyway, if I was ever in that situation, I would proabaly release my inner cheat and reload the save to before the resignation :o

Ouch :D. Yeah the new 24-team format means 4 of the best 6 3rd place teams get through. Having seen numerous tournaments, it usually means that 3 pts + a decent GD will get you through, Ive also seen a team go through with 2 pts once.

Not to sound an arse, but why did you not just take a glance at the format/rules page? Did you not raise an eyebrow when you saw that there were 6 groups instead of 4 in the tournament? I'm actually very over zealous about it; If I go into a competition that I'm not familiar with, I make a point of checking the rules multiple times, looking at past editions, as well as doing research on the format via the internet etc.

Anyway, if I was ever in that situation, I would proabaly release my inner cheat and reload the save to before the resignation :o

I hadn't noticed there were 6 groups instead of 4 - wasn't really paying much attention to the rest of the tournament just focusing on my games, because I complacently thought I knew the rules. I've learnt my lesson anyway.

They made it into the semi finals without me, before being knocked out by a very poor England team that somehow won the tournament with Wayne Rooney as manager.

Archived