Formation vs Roles vs Shouts...

So I'm trying almost hopelessly to get into Football Manager in the final days of 13 before I either do or do not buy 14.

Now for me back in 12 I was a fantastic tactician taking an average side and winning the league and yeah it was easy. That all changed come 13. I couldn't get the signings I wanted which before was still an ok scenario, but my tactics did no longer work. Simple formations and roles seemed like they now lacked any realy use. I'm finding games against the lower league teams fairly difficult and games against teams in my own league just outclassed.

Now being Shrewsbury in League One I don't expect ultimate possession or dominance, but what I do want is a solid and organised formation. Nothing is stronger over the board than 442 providing you don't get bogged down in the center.

So I set my team with a AML/R based 442 attacking as I want to win and play for the win. Now am I to believe that the formation and roles should be MOSTLY be orientated to fit the squad? I don't like playing two of the same roles and always thought it was a bad omen. Yet I find I have to play two AF's as I only have poor TM players that can play alongside an AF. Now I also believe that I shouldn't be making alterations to my formation after almost every game and instead should be using the shouts too?

Can someone just clarify these for me please?

Now for me back in 12 I was a fantastic tactician taking an average side and winning the league and yeah it was easy. That all changed come 13.

If this was an example of your tactics, for a start I suggest reading and following the advice in this thread (in particular regarding duties): http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332584-A-Twelve-Step-Guide-towards-Playing-FM13-amp-Understanding-the-ME

Three centre strikers could be considered a cheat in FM 2012 and prior, as there often was no marking proper (also explained in the introduction of that thread). Likewise, do you think playing such a narrow formation and keeping your full backs at bay for 90 minutes to be a good idea, etc. There was a paradigm shift that forced people to think at least a tad more about logical formations and shape in particular, as defending was improved and defenses previously got broken down no matter what occasionally.

I suggest coming to the tactics forum Dakier & opening a thread with your issues and team & player instructions - by your issues I mean; poor possession, lack of clear cut chances, exposed down the flanks - those type of remarks which we can use to analyse your team.

We are a friendly & helpful bunch, and have a lot of advice to offer.

I highly recommend a 'flat' 4-4-2, with your wingers in MR/ML instead of AMR/AML. Just put the right kind of players in there (I like pace and crossing) and set them as wingers, they'll still be attacking, but your formation will be more solid defensively. Use balanced and standard settings to start with, watch extended or, better, comprehensive highlights, and tweak if you feel you want to change something. Then it's just a matter of building a strong squad with a quality core that's solid defensively and incisive in attack. Don't have too many backup players, just enough with versatility to come in and do a job and cover your key positions if first team players are injured. It usually takes me a season or even two to 'shape' the squad the way I like, but then I generally overachieve (as much as my resources allow me to).

Well last night I really went slow and was listening to my ass man on his tactical advice. Something which I never used to bother with either. Now my ass man has only got 10 tactical knowledge but I changed some of our tactics using shouts and got some good results.

The thing I seemed to be really struggling with the most is possession. Now like I say 442 is not a possession tactic and I don't necessarily want it to be, but we gift the ball away so much. Which brings me to the point where I think well do I go short passing to make easier passes or do I go direct passing to cut out as many passes as possible so we don't make those mistakes.

EDIT - I did tbf use some formations with heavy strikers but mostly my formations consisted of attacking 442 or 433 with wingers. Now I'm just trying the flat 442. Players is also an issue as my team is really relegation fodder. I don't expect to stay up so I guess after a few games I am slightly overachieving already and just being greedy trying to get promotion with a poor team.

Well last night I really went slow and was listening to my ass man on his tactical advice. Something which I never used to bother with either. Now my ass man has only got 10 tactical knowledge but I changed some of our tactics using shouts and got some good results.

The thing I seemed to be really struggling with the most is possession. Now like I say 442 is not a possession tactic and I don't necessarily want it to be, but we gift the ball away so much. Which brings me to the point where I think well do I go short passing to make easier passes or do I go direct passing to cut out as many passes as possible so we don't make those mistakes.

EDIT - I did tbf use some formations with heavy strikers but mostly my formations consisted of attacking 442 or 433 with wingers. Now I'm just trying the flat 442. Players is also an issue as my team is really relegation fodder. I don't expect to stay up so I guess after a few games I am slightly overachieving already and just being greedy trying to get promotion with a poor team.

listen to your assistant manager...if he says our short passes are connecting well...use shorter....if he says average passes connecting use default.......if he says long passes connecting well....use direct

Also u dont necessarily follow him everytime....juz know your team and listen to your heart :D

listen to your assistant manager...if he says our short passes are connecting well...use shorter....if he says average passes connecting use default.......if he says long passes connecting well....use direct

Also u dont necessarily follow him everytime....juz know your team and listen to your heart :D

The problem is when he says we've not made a good job of possession. Now I've switched my formation again now to a 3-1-4-2 and it's having fantastic effect. I'm in the playoffs and 8 points behind top which in this league really isn't much. So even though I've gone 3-1-4-2 with control/balanced I'm still not holding the ball too well and it does cost the old goal. Once I've cut this out i think this tactic could become pretty ferocious as it's organised and deals with the wide threats pretty well for a formation with only 3 CB's.

With my main keeper out for 9 months and my reserve keeper out for a month I had to pull in my youth keeper. With only 3 defenders in front of him we're actually playing really well! I'm currently 4th with a not so different squad than what they start with. A fantastic change was swapping the 3 defenders from limited defenders to CB's that use 2 stoppers and a cover. With an achorman in front everyones getting closed down. Only problem is if someone does find they're way through they always look dangerous until caught up with, but so far this formation is looking fantastic and we've only just hit january!

Archived