Defending help

Is there a certain way to defend well? So far I've tried many different tactics etc & my defenders just back off & off until they either cross/cut inside & score..

I know a few others I speak with have this problem & with goal kicks, the amount of goals I concede from a simple kick forward seems unreal. Gets headed back then my defence is all over the shop

I'm messing around with the shouts, hassle opponents,tight marking,push higher up & even gone with player instructions for tighter marking, less risky passes & all seems to end the same way.

If anyone has any tips how to defend & not have them run around in circles when trying to tackle it would help a lot & much appreciate

Defending can be hard to give tips on unless you post more details about the system you want to use, the level you play at and give a rough idea of players abilities. Most of it is down to how you play so without us knowing that we can't actually give you any tips. Some examples of what's going wrong too wouldn't go a miss. Have a read of this then re-post :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

I agree. I'm playing in Serie C1/A and I've gone with what I think is a fairly conventional 4-4-2. With my defence set up as FB-A CD-D CD-D FB-S, two WM-S and two CMs, one on attack, one of defend. I'm finding that I'm seeing a LOT of high scoring games. In fact, I haven't had a game with fewer than four goals so far, and there have been zero clean sheets (for me or my opponents). Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or we're waiting for some defensive tweaks to the match engine.

Shouts wise, I'm using 'Get Stuck In', and I tried experimenting with 'Play Narrower' as many of the goals I was conceding were coming from teams passing their way through my defence too easily, so I tried to close the gaps. Any similar experiences/tips would be welcome.

Doesn't really help when defenders just refuse to put a tackle in and let the opposition walk around with the ball. That shouldn't even come down to tactics, that's common sense and the AI doesn't seem to have it.

Doesn't really help when defenders just refuse to put a tackle in and let the opposition walk around with the ball. That shouldn't even come down to tactics, that's common sense and the AI doesn't seem to have it.

Alternatively, it's a Beta, and these Match Engine specific defects are known and being addressed by SI at this very moment.

Alternatively, it's a Beta, and these Match Engine specific defects are known and being addressed by SI at this very moment.

So these are acknowledged issues? That's something of a relief.

I'm really struggling with my defence at the moment. Maybe my problem is that I'm chopping and changing too much, but I've tried many combinations, changed the fluidity, mentality, team instructions, everything, and my defence is pulled all over the place all the time by weaker teams. They can't defend crosses, challenge for the ball, hold their position.... I've had two attempts at managing Forest, and both times I'm in the relegation zone by October!

I'll freely admit I'm not a massive tactical wizard, and I also think the current tactics creator is better suited to me, but I'm usually much better than this. :(

My Man United side has only conceded 4 goals in 11 EPL matches, so not sure if there's really a problem with the ME in terms of defending - I'm using the same defensive system that I always have. You just need to be consistent in your instructions, and ensure that defenders are actually playing not just the right roles for their abilities, but roles that fit your overall strategy as well.

The only issue I'm having defensively is that full backs tend to be a little rubbish in the tackle (which I think is a bug already being worked on) and giving away too many fouls, and being told we're tackling too hard... even when I set every opposing player to the gentlest tackling possible in opposition instructions. Bit frustrated on that score, but not giving away penalties or freekicks in dangerous areas, so it's liveable-withable.

Although, stamina does seem to be an issue for centre-backs at the moment. Mine always seem strangely tired in the last 20 minutes, and not just Rio and Nemanja, either. So if your goals are being conceded late exclusively, might want to think about rotating your central defenders more, or perhaps playing a deeper DM who presses hard and can be subbed late on without disturbing your defensive system too much.

Defensive players are simply ******** in this game. One Young Boys striker went ALONE into my REAL MADRID defense (varane and sergio ramos) and they did nothing against him... i've tried all kinds of combination of instructions to my defenders but nothing seems to work :(

Defensive players are simply ******** in this game. One Young Boys striker went ALONE into my REAL MADRID defense (varane and sergio ramos) and they did nothing against him... i've tried all kinds of combination of instructions to my defenders but nothing seems to work :(

It's a Beta, some defensive issues are known and in the process of being fixed.

Oh, and don't swear please.

Having come on here and bemoaned my inability to buy a win, I had a reckless moment and implemented something close to the system Barcelona play on my Forest team, who were rock bottom at the time. I'm now 9th, having taken 16 points from a possible 18. Maybe consistency was the key...

The only minor problem I have now is that just as before I didn't know what I was doing wrong, now I'm not sure what I've done right :/

Really, a consistent system - any system - goes a long way towards establishing form. I've always used two go-to standard systems when I first take charge at a club in FM, because they're easy to implement, and don't require amazingly good attributes to play.

One is the short passing game, with a high-pressure easy-tackling combo, pushed up, but playing counter mentality (and in 14, with a slew of possession-retaining shouts, as well as drilled crosses and focused play through the middle [but since defenders are passing awfully for me this time round, no play out of defence]). This is probably something close to what you ended up with, and it's good because it's easy to be consistent (although I suspect most people don't go for the easy tackling part of what I said).

RE the easy tackling - I find setting high pressure with easy tackling (incidentally, it's a bloody chore having to set easy tackling on every single opposition player [well, except playmakers/players who excel in tight space, who go on normal] every single match) makes players go and press without committing, which denies space and often results in a quick turnover of possession without any challenge being made. Less fouls, less bookings, a more coherent defensive shape, and your players get beaten less often, which I'm sure helps defensive morale... But it doesn't work nearly as well unless you have around 12 or better average positioning in defence and midfield. :)

I've experimented with a few things since my last post.

First of all, I've changed my formation, from a standard 4-4-2 to a 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 FB-S and 2 CD-D, with a DMC-D.

I've also pushed my defence higher up, and told them to stay on their feet when tackling. I've adopted a shorter passing game too, but I would expect that's secondary.

I've really gone to town on training too, setting my standard training to defending, and my match preparation to either defensive positioning or defend set pieces.

Finally, I'm a bit further into the season, and my team are more familiar with the formations being trained, which could well be a previously understated issue.

The results are better, without reaching the levels I'd expect. I've conceded 10 goals in 8 league games and I'm sitting second in the league. There are still an awful lot of goals flying around - in 18 games (including friendlies and cup games) there has been one clean sheet for either side - but I'm perhaps seeing more 2-1 and 3-1 scorelines than the 3-3 and 5-2 games that I saw earlier.

Archived