How to get quicker counter attacks

I was wondering if anyone has had any success playing quick counter attacking football?

I'm playing as Villa, using a 41221 formation. I'm playing counter, narrow, direct and higher tempo but just can't seem to get the team to counter attack quickly enough. Defensively I'm doing fine, team is dropping deep then winning the ball after the opposition runs out of ideas, I just can't then take advantage of it as team seems reluctant to launch into counter attack mode.

My midfield 3 is a triple pivot of DM (s), DLp (d) and b2b (s).

Is it something to do with team settings or do I maybe need to look at using the old Control / drop deeper trick to get the players to think more creatively?

Anyone had any success getting this to work?

I don't think you need those shouts tbh. Countertactic is already a narrower tactic and players will play faster when they see a counter opportunity anyway, especially playmakers.

One thing you could use is 'play into space', btw. Myself I use shouts based on how the match goes and what my assman says.

A countering tactic is slow when just playing a buildup, possession game (the times where keeping possession is better than instantly counter) and faster, directer when on the actual counter. Changing the tempo/the directness of passes mostly effects the non-countering times of possession iirc.

Archived