Colwyn Bay Chwarel (or Cantera in Spanish).

drtrick

In FM13 i had took Kendal from the Blue Square North to the Premier League title, winning the Europa League and League Cup on the way. Afterwards, in the same career, i took up management of Welsh club Colywn Bay in the Blue Square North and attempted to do the same thing using only Welsh players. I was only able to get two season into that quest before FM14, so i will be taking on that task from the beginning this time around.

Colwyn Bay Chwarel(or Cantera in Spanish)

I'm looking to go far as as i can with Colwyn Bay, a Welsh team playing in the English leagues.

I plan to use only Welsh players, in a similar way that Athletic Bilbao, for all intents and purposes, use only Basque players.

club_profile.png~original

Part of the appeal of Colwyn Bay is their lack of any trophies, so anything they win will be under my management.

Progress:

2020-21 Skrill Premier:

2019-20 Skrill Premier: 18th.

2018-19 Skrill North: 2nd, Promoted as play-off champions.

2017-18 Skrill North: 13th.

2016-17 Skrill North: 6th.

2015-16 Skrill Premier: 23rd, Relegated to Skrill North.

2014-15 Skrill North: 3rd, Promoted as play-off champions.

2013-14 Skrill North: 19th.

• 2 weeks later...

The squad:

club_squad_resize.png~original

(Click for larger image, not sure why it's coming out so small, i'll try and fix that.)

As you can see, the first task will be rid myself of those 'foreign' players and bring in some Welsh replacements.

The team i ended up with was significantly weaker, but not too shabby:

club_squad_welsh.png~original

A lot of younger players, but a few in their mid twenties that are likely to be important players for the coming season. Looking forward to the youth intake in March to see how many can challenge the weaker signings for places.

Skrill North, 2013 - 14.

Final League Table

Predicted: 18th; Finished: 19th.

After being distracted by my Leeds United save, i finally finished my first season. It was terrible, to be frank, but that wasn't unexpected. After a decent start to the season of fours wins, two draws and one loss, i went on a 21 league game run of no wins (twelve losses, nine draws) which saw me head from fourth to nineteenth where i stayed for much of the season, drifting in and out of the relegation zone and in the end avoiding relegation by two points.

Our FA Cup run was very short, and our FA Trophy run was even shorter. It came at a bad time, right in the middle of that 21 league game run of no wins.

First Team Squad.

Top Scorer: Jonathan Jones, with 19 goals. Free signing at the start of the season.

Player of the Year: Jonathan Jones.

Best Eleven.

Transfers.

Cleared out all the non-Welsh players on frees because no one wanted them and i needed to free up the wage budget.

Youth Intake

Not a bad intake. Certainly able to challenge for a place in the future, and given the shortage of Welsh players who are willing to sign for me i'll likely have to use them sooner rather than later.

The Positives

We didn't get relegated, always a plus.

I signed Robbie Williams because of his age, hopeful of another Welsh staff member, but i didn't expect him to turn out this good.

The Negatives

We were only two points from relegation.

Some of my better players refused to sign new contracts and will leave in the summer, including my goalkeeper and two promising prospects.

Finances.

Made a small loss. Should make a profit next season with the reduced wage bill, slightly improved sponsorship deals, and getting a little further in the cup competitions. Not to mention the cost of shipping out the non-Welsh players since no one wanted them.

Elsewhere in the football world:

Premier League Top Four: 1. Chelsea, 2. Man. City, 3. Man. Utd, 4. Spurs.

Premier League Relegations: 18. Sunderland, 19. West Ham, 20. Hull City.

Championship Promotions: 1. Forest, 2. Watford, P(4th) QPR.

League Cup Final, Man. Utd beat Liverpool.

FA Cup Final, Man. Utd beat Aston Villa.

The World Cup was eventually won by Argentina.

Club World Cup.

Super Cup, Chelsea beat Bayern Munich 1 - 0.

Champions League, looks like Man. City couldn't stop scoring.

Europa League, Man. Utd complete a treble after getting knocked out at the Champions League group stage.

If you want to be an all Welsh club, maybe you should be playing in the Welsh league. ;)

There's not really much novelty in winning the Welsh league with a Welsh club. Like i said in the initial post, it's just a continuation from what i was doing in my fm13 game.

Skrill North, 2014 - 15.

Final League Table

Predicted: 22nd; Finished: 3rd - promoted via play offs.

I wasn't surprised by the good start, as we had a similar start last season, but i was surprised we managed to stay up there. We were in and out of the play off places all year, but always there abouts.

Walked over Tamworth in the play off semi-final (leg one, leg two) and scraped a penalty win in the final over Worcester.

I won Manager of the Year. :D

Cup Runs

FA Cup: We got a whole extra game into the qualifying rounds this season!

FA Trophy: Qualified this year, but got knocked out by Skrill Premier side Wrexham in the second round.

First Team Squad.

Moved eight players straight into the first team from last years youth intake. The best two were Kevin Price, who was pushing for a first eleven place all season, and Steven Wyn Coyne who had a good run of form after Danny Murphy got injured midway through the season. Owain Warlow had a great season on the left wing, contributing 16 goals and 14 assists.

Youth Team Squad.

A few too many strikers, i think. Will look to trim that down by the next intake. There are a few decent prospects in there, but i took the best ones and shoved them straight into the first team at the start of the season and this season's youth intake wasn't as good as last years. Will be looking to upgrade the youth facilities and junior coaching soon.

Best Eleven. Nice to see Kevin Price make it.

Top Scorer: Jonathan Jones, topped his tally 19 from last year with 21.

Player of the Year: Jonathan Jones again. I thought Owain Warlow would have taken it.

Transfers.

I had a lot of trouble getting Welsh players to agree to sign for me, the only one better than my youth players was Louis Gray. He's pretty good at getting yellow cards. :)

Youth Intake

Not as good as last season, but decent enough. Hopefully the board will agree to upgrade our facilities.

The Positives

Unexpected Promotion!

Most of the youth players slotted right into the first team with no problems.

Large profits.

The Negatives

We're losing Owain Warlow because he won't sign a new contract.

Most of my first eleven's contracts are expiring at the end of next season.

Finances.

Made a huge profit this season. The reduced wage bill, slightly improved sponsorship deals, the (slightly) longer cup runs all had a hand in that, along with increased gate receipts and the 10k i picked up from getting Leyton Orient as a parent club.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Chelsea, 2. Man. City, 3. Man. Utd, 4. Swansea. Relegations: 18. Watford, 19. Crystal Palace, 20. QPR.

Championship Promotions: 1. West Ham, 2. Wigan, P(3rd). Sheff. Wed.

, Man. City make hard work of 10-man Championship Huddersfield.

, Chelsea with a dominant victory over West Brom.

, Man. City beat Man. Utd.

, Man. City defeated in the .

, Atlético lose their second consecutive . Only one English club in the Quarter finals, perhaps the Premier League being put down to the was justified.

, Lille beat Liverpool in the .

Skrill Premier, 2015 - 16.

Final League Table

Predicted: 24th; Finished: 23rd - relegated to Skrill North.

Pretty bad season with far too many draws overall. We were totally outclassed at the beginning and struggled to get points. We had a decent run in the middle of the season that got us out of the relegation zone for a while (went ten games unbeaten at one point), but the poor form returned after a couple of losses in games we dominated and we were unable to turn it around by the end of the season. I managed to persuade the board to upgrade our Junior Coaching budget and our Youth Recruitment Network, so i was hoping for a decent youth intake this year, especially since i'd be losing a lot of players due to expiring contracts at the end of the season.

Cup Runs

FA Cup: Hoped to get to the third round to get a big club, but it wasn't to be.

FA Trophy: Short.

First Team Squad.

Will look a lot different next season. Look at all those 2016 expiry dates. ><

Best Eleven; probably losing eight of the eleven. :(

Top Scorer: Danny Murphy, top scorer with 15 from the right wing. Unwilling to sign a new contract, though. Top scorer for the last two seasons, Jonathan Jones, decided to spit his dummy before christmas after i gave him a rest so i dropped him to the U21 squad.

Player of the Year: Chris Dann, a solid performer, but gets injured quite often (and is probably leaving).

Transfers.

Once again, i had trouble bringing quality players in, but i managed to replaced Owain Warlow with Richard Harvey-Davies.

Youth Intake

Not too bad, but i expected better. The way things are at the moment, half of them will probably end up in the first team squad next season. ;)

Youth Team Squad.

Not especially good.

Finances.

Made large profits again this season. There will be more wage budget available when most of my current first team leave at the end of June, but i think resigning those that are willing will take up most of that.

The Positives

Large profits.

Increased Junior Coaching budget.

Improved Youth Recruitment Network.

We had our first international call up. Colwyn Bay youth product goalkeeper Matty Nash called up the the Welsh Under-19s (unused substitute).

The Negatives

Relegated. :(

Losing most of my First Team squad due to expiring contracts before next season.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Chelsea, 2. Arsenal, 3. Man. Utd, 4. Man. City. Relegations: 18. Forest, 19. Stoke, 20. Sheff. Wednesday.

Championship Promotions: 1. Bournemouth, 2. Watford, P(5). Derby.

League Cup Final, Man. City thump Man. Utd. to retain the cup.

FA Cup Final, Man. Utd stroll past Championship Brighton. Brighton qualify for the Europ League.

Euro2016 was eventually won by Germany.

Super Cup, Bayern beat Lille.

Club World Cup, Bayern defeated on penalties by Flamengo.

Champions League, Barcelona beat Chelsea in the final.

Europa League, Vitesse beat Shakhtar in the final.

Skrill North, 2016 - 17.

Final League Table

Predicted: 12th; Finished: 6th - missed out on play offs on the final day of the season.

We had a really good start to the season winning eight out of eight, but form dipped after that. In and out of the play offs all season, but thought we had secured it when we beat Harrogate 4 - 0 with one match to go, with them playing league leaders Southport, while we played mid-table FC United on the final day. Unfortunately, both results went against us, and we had to settle for sixth. This was a nice nod to my reliance on youth, haha. There was another earlier in the season criticising my usage of only Welsh players, but i forgot to screenshot it. ><

A good season overall, we should be able to build on it next year.

Cup Runs

FA Cup: failed to qualify once again.

FA Trophy: and, again, short.

I tend to play a lot of my second eleven in these games, next season i'm going give the FA Trophy a good try, it is perhaps a realistic first ever trophy for the club.

First Team Squad.

Managed to keep a couple of players from last with non-contracts, and brought through some more youth players. The squad lacks experience with only three players over 20 (and only one of them over 24), but, judging by previous years, i doubt i'll be able to keep hold of a lot of players for longer than a couple of seasons until i get into League 2 . :(

Best Eleven; only losing two of them this season, haha.

Top Scorer: Jay Hignett, top scorer with 23 (22 in the league), breaking Jonathan Jones' record of 21. The guy is a youth product whose contract ran out last season and refused to sign, but then did a U-turn when i approached him pre-season.

Player of the Year: Jay Hignett.

Transfers.

Brought in four players, two of which were former youth products, and one of the others i let go midway through the season in favour of a guy from the youth squad.

Youth Intake.

A lot better than last year. I persuaded the board to upgrade our Youth Level, which i think had an effect (though i'm not 100% on what that actually does. ;)).

Youth Team Squad.

Looking quite strong, will be moving a few into the first team next season. I'm tempted to take control of the youth squad to give more play time to the better players and enable me to retrain positions before they end up in the first team.

Finances.

Making decent profits again. The quick turnover of players seems to keep the wage bill low at least. ;)

If we continue to make these profits, we should be well set when we eventually get into the football league.

The Positives

Upgraded Youth Level.

Strong league performance.

Doing well financially.

The Negatives

Missed out on the playoffs on the last game of the season.

Again, losing a few influential players because they won't sign new contracts.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Arsenal, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man. Utd, 4. Spurs . Relegations: 18. Watford, 19. Derby, 20. Bournemouth.

Championship Promotions: 1. Stoke, 2. Crystal Palace, P(4). Reading.

League Cup Final, Chelsea beat Arsenal 1- 0.

FA Cup Final, Man. Utd beat Aston Villa.

Super Cup, Barcelona beat Vitesse.

Club World Cup, Barcelona defeat Internacional 2 - 1 to become world champions.

Champions League, Lukaku wins the Champions League for Chelsea against Man Utd. in the final.

Europa League, Monaco beat Lille in an all French final. Weird not to see a single English club past the first knock out round. Championship Brighton failed to make it past the qualifying round.

Skrill North, 2017 - 18.

Final League Table

Predicted: 19th; Finished: 13th - one step forward two steps back.

I thought we could push on after a decent season last year, but we had a very poor start and failed to recover. Had a lot of high scoring games but we were usually on the wrong end of the result. Despite the disappointing finish though, i had a lot of fun taking control of the under-18s.

Cup Runs

FA Cup: got pretty close - within twenty minutes - but failed to qualify once again.

FA Trophy: had a goal disallowed late in the first Stockport match, but got stuffed on the replay. :(

First Team Squad.

A slightly smaller squad than in previous years as i took control of the under-18s this season and promoted extra players as and when needed.

A change from previous years, i managed to sign some of the players whose contracts were expiring on non-contracts. Hopefully it'll help create a bit more stability so i can build around my best players instead of them leaving year after year.

Best Eleven, dunno how Moorcroft weaselled his way in there, he barely played and wasn't that good when he did.

Top Scorer: Jay Hignett again, top scorer with 24, one more than last season and a new club record.

Player of the Year: Jason Stenson, a decent centre back, thought we had others who played better, though.

Transfers.

I resigned Richards on a non-contract only for him to get a long term injury in preseason, so i signed Partyn to replace him and ruthlessly released Richards on a free. Looks like he retired soon afterwards.

Youth Intake.

Wayne Holden was the player singled out as "one of the better players".

Youth Final Table

We can score when we want, but we concede like we play without a keeper. ><

Youth Team Squad.

It's pretty huge, haha. I'll be trimming it down when i get my squad sorted in preseason. There are some decent players in there who can challenge for a first team place.

Finances.

A very healthy bank balance for a Skrill North side. The board gave me a £230k transfer budget last season.. if only there were good enough players i could spend it on (and they've given me a budget of £350k for next season).

The Positives

Doing well financially.

(Fun under-18s campaign? >.>)

The Negatives

Poor league performance.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Arsenal, 2. Man. Utd, 3. Man. City, 4. Spurs . Relegations: 18. Wigan, 19. Crystal Palace, 20. Stoke. The Premier League also regained top spot in the European Competition rankings.

Championship Promotions: 1. Brighton, 2. Sheff. Wed, P(6). Bolton.

League Cup Final, Norwich beat Arsenal.

FA Cup Final, Arsenal secure the double.

The World Cup was retained by Argentina.

Super Cup, Monaco beat Chelsea.

Club World Cup, Chelsea met Gremio in the final .

Champions League, Man. Utd. are beaten in the final by Barcelona on penalties.

Europa League, it takes them until extra time for Marseille to beat Benfica in the final.

Skrill North, 2018 - 19.

Final League Table.

Predicted: 20th; Finished: 2nd - promoted via play offs. :D

We had a really good start and went 16 games unbeaten. We were battling Macclesfield for top spot for the first half of the season, but they pulled away after christmas. They lost three games on the bounce at the end of the season so i had high hopes of beating them to top, but they won their final game so we had to settle for second. We had a decent win over Hyde in the play-off final. Hopefully we'll stay up more than one season this time.

Cup Runs

Didn't win a match in the qualifiers of the FA Cup nor FA Trophy, so i won't embarrass myself by posting them. ><

First Team Squad.

Best Eleven, it keeps missing out my DMs for some reason.

Top Scorer: Carl Burrows 31 league goals. I had to play him instead of Jay Hignett at the start of the season, but he was scoring too many goals to drop him.

Player of the Year: Steven Wyn Coyne, a solid performer since he came up from youth, is my oldest player at 21 (haha).

Transfers.

A quiet year. Three players unwilling to resign and no decent signing options.

Youth Intake.

Ceri Pugh is possibly "one of the most gifted players" to come though our youth academy in recent years, though i take that with a pinch of salt.

Youth Final Table.

At one point i thought i might take both the Skrill North and the under18s titles, but it wasn't to be. It's good fun managing the under 18s.

Youth Team Squad.

Huge squad (including the youth intake), but that will have shrank significantly by the start of next season.

Finances.

I think we're rich by Non-League standards. Shame there's no one to spend it on!

The Positives

Promotion!

Shane Trow became our first outfield player to be called up to the Wales under19s.

Our Junior Coaching budget was increased.

The Negatives

None that come to mind.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Arsenal, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man. City, 4. Man. Utd. Relegations: 18. Everton, 19. Reading, 20. Sheff. Wed.

Championship Promotions: 1. Forest, 2. Stoke, P(5). Derby.

League Cup Final, Man. Utd fall to Cardiff.

FA Cup Final, Newcastle beat Norwich.

Super Cup, Barcelona ease past Marseille.

Club World Cup, Barcelona beat Estudiantes in the final .

Champions League, Barcelona beat Man. City, Messi still going strong scores in the final.

Europa League, Southampton beat Leverkusen in the final, Norwich make the semis.

Skrill Premier, 2019 - 20.

Final League Table.

Predicted: 24th; Finished: 18th.

It looks closer to relegation than it should, we lost three of our last four but we were already safe by then.

It's always nice to break a record, and that was with two months to go. ><

Adam Godfrey won

for his 90th minute equaliser against Hereford.

Cup Runs

FA Cup, qualified but got knocked out in the first round.

FA Trophy, did a little better, getting knocked out in a third round replay.

First Team Squad.

Best Eleven, not sure why Warren Partryn is put at AMC. o_O

Top Scorer: scored 31 goals in 39 games (26 in the league), he was also the division's top scorer. [url=]Steven Wyn Coyne did well from the wing with 22 goals in total.

Player of the Year: Carl Burrows won this, too.

Transfers.

I was able to resign a couple of players (i think the new patch helped with this), and i brought in a couple of decent centre backs.

Youth Intake.

Tony Partridge is "one of the better players" from this years youth intake.

Youth Team Squad.

Huge squad. Going to start entering the u21 league from next year to help give everyone more game time (or i might just release the worst of them, not yet decided).

Finances.

Still making large profits, though it's down from the annual £100k to ~£80k this year.

The Positives

Stayed up. :)

Alex McCarthy became our second outfield player (and third player in total) to be called up to the Wales under19s.

I convinced the board to increase our Junior Coaching Budget again.

The Negatives

Discipline level is pretty poor.

Euro 2020 was eventually won by France.

Premier League Top Four: 1. Man. City, 2. Chelsea, 3. Man. Utd, 4. Liverpool. Relegations: 18. Forest, 19. Cardiff, 20. Brighton.

Championship Promotions: 1. Crystal Palace, 2. Wigan, P(6). Everton.

League Cup Final, Man. City beat Villa.

FA Cup Final, ten man Arsenal leave it late then win it in extra time.

Super Cup, it takes penalties to separate Barcelona and Southampton.

Club World Cup, Barcelona beat San Lorenzo in the final .

Champions League, PSG beat Dortmund in the final.

Europa League, Man. City were beaten in the final by Sporting Lisbon.

Aaron Ramsey appears to be Man. City's star right back. I wonder how long they've played him there (he still plays centre midfield for Wales).

For anyone who was following this thread, sad to say my external HD packed in and took with it my save. The only save i have left of it is back in the 2016 - 17 season. I haven't decided if i'm going to continue with it or start another game yet. :/

Archived