Creating a Lower League Tactic

Great topic. I'd welcome responses to my thoughts here. As a lower league manager myself, I cut my cloth according to what I have at my disposal, so formations, roles and duties change every campaign, and indeed every season. However, there are certain common features that are distinctive to lower league management that come up every save-game.

Firstly, I build my squads' limitations into my tactics. Be they part-timers, declining warhorses or kids, they tend to have low stamina; furthermore, due to finances, squads tend to be small with little adequate cover for first-choice players. Therefore, for me it is critical to keep injuries to a minimum, and this means conserving energy on the pitch. I have my groundsman lay out a pitch with minimum specifications, and home and away I play narrow, have DCs with good pace/accel so we can play a high D-line (sweeper-keeper is thus very handy if you can get one), keep possession, pass short and go easy on the pressing. My possession-based strategies range between contain, defend and counter.

I owe you a world of thanks for this post. This has single handedly transformed my success rate in the lower leagues. The slow, narrow, retain possession ideas on a tiny pitch are genius. They seem so obvious now you say it but I've been trying to build a high tempo, fluid tactic before this and failed miserably. Now I've implemented this (in a 31411 formation to win the midfield battle) and I've been on a 13 game unbeaten streak and my love for FM has been reignited. :D

I owe you a world of thanks for this post. This has single handedly transformed my success rate in the lower leagues. The slow, narrow, retain possession ideas on a tiny pitch are genius. They seem so obvious now you say it but I've been trying to build a high tempo, fluid tactic before this and failed miserably. Now I've implemented this (in a 31411 formation to win the midfield battle) and I've been on a 13 game unbeaten streak and my love for FM has been reignited. :D

Nice one. Makes my decade of posting on this forum worth it!!

Archived