FM14: Celtic FC - For it's a Grand old Team

Sean1967

It feels a bit strange to spend almost £8m on a player and then he agrees to £650 pr week for the next 4½ years + I get an option for another 3 years

But had to get him now before any of the big clubs became interested in him - AND the replacement for Scott Brown is ready, when Broonie goes downhill

when checking his weak areas in his report, it shows nothing :D not that often that a newgen doesn't have any weak areas in the report and at the same time looks as promising as this Serbian kid

I tend to find that when I start spending that much on players I lose interest in my save. In my longer save (start of season 5), the most I spent on a player was about £5m for Andrew Robertson (3rd season). He went strength into the first team and I still felt like I was cheating, I have about £40m available for transfers and don't know what to do with it haha!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My prediction on Ronny Deila's tactics - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394814-Ronny-Deila-The-quest-for-beautiful-football

Lifted the treble in my first season and reached the last 32 of the Europa League. This season in October I remain undefeated in the SPL, we drew Man Utd, Olympiakos and Freiburg in the Champions League so I'm confident of a last 16 spot. Just drew 0-0 with Man Utd at Old Trafford.

These are my transfers over the first two seasons. No major changes, just been brining in the players to fit my tactic (can be found in the above thread). On this game I'm heavily focusing on player development, I'm that happy with my squad I don't see myself signing any players until a) a player gets to old and starts to decline b) a freak injury happens and I need a loan or something c) a player hands in a transfer request or d) that once a game 'special' bargain pops up.

bi5i4n.png

14kzntu.png

Nice price you paid for Rhodes, did Blackburn get relegated?

Have some of the original Celtic youngsters progressed to be first team regulars for you?

Nice price you paid for Rhodes, did Blackburn get relegated?

Have some of the original Celtic youngsters progressed to be first team regulars for you?

They actually got promoted, I scouted him in may I think and it came back between £2.6m and £3.2m. I couldn't refuse that one, even though it meant I'd have 6 strikers for a single forward tactic in pre-season.

Liam Henderson and Darnell Fisher are, the likes of Lewis Kidd, Joe Thompson, Aiden McIlduff, Eoghan O'Connell and Paul McMullan will be after a few season I think. Well at least squad players.

They actually got promoted, I scouted him in may I think and it came back between £2.6m and £3.2m. I couldn't refuse that one, even though it meant I'd have 6 strikers for a single forward tactic in pre-season.

How is he doing for you?

32 goals in 28 games so far in the second season for me

How is he doing for you?

32 goals in 28 games so far in the second season for me

9 goals and 6 assists in 11 so far, in my longer save he got the Golden Boot his 2nd season with 34 in 34.

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to find that when I start spending that much on players I lose interest in my save. In my longer save (start of season 5), the most I spent on a player was about £5m for Andrew Robertson (3rd season). He went strength into the first team and I still felt like I was cheating, I have about £40m available for transfers and don't know what to do with it haha!

I'm like that too. I'm in 2019 where I have about that in transfer fees and just won the Champions League and started to get bored.

Started a Celtic game off the back of some thoughts about boosting coefficients.

Turns out it's bloody hard to get the 2 or 3 key players I really need.

Generally, I like to play a 4-2-3-1 and I've really struggled to find the right players to give me the effect I'm hoping for with the attacking four.

Currently using Boerritger as AML, Commons AMC and have loaned Nathan Dyer for AMR. Stokes is playing as the lone SC.

Lots of bids in for several potential targets across the squad and very little success. Have snaffled Stefan De Vrij, Harmeet Singh and Javi Espinosa on permanent deals alongside Nathan Dyer, Apostolos Vellios, Michael Keane and John Flanagan on season long loans.

Still desperate to find a reserve goalkeeper so I can bin Zaluska who fills me with no confidence. I've got £1.4m and £6.77k wages to play with to find someone. Been looking at Marek Stech but his projected wage demands are too high.

Could really have done with the £7.5m I nearly had for Scott Brown!

Won my opening CL tie 8-1 on aggregate and I'm 3-3 with Slovan Bratislava after the first leg of the next round.

2½ years into the game

These are the Celtic youngster that still are at the club (and gets to play now and again)

Henderson is a back up player for James McCarthy - no more stars in potential, but report says that he can improve significantly in the future, and that he will be a star player for most Scottish Premiership sides

9knl9t.png

McMullan is back up for Jordan Rhodes - still have a star left in potential and as Henderson he can improve significatly and will be a star for most Scottish Premiership sides - 10 goals first season, 13 last year and 17 so far this season

2j365vb.png

Fisher is back up for Callum Chambers - close to his full potential and again a star for other SPL sides

28thz53.png

McGregor is back up for Iancu - no stars left in potential, but again can improve and star for other SPL sides

dzies7.png

Forrest is back up for McGeady - half a star left in potential but is not likely to improve it according to reports another star for other SPL sides

2ldeohk.png

Watt is back up for for a newgen, whom are back up for a newgen, whom are back up for McMullan whom are back up for Rhodes (or 3rd choice back up for LW) a star left in potential, a star for other SPL sides and likely to improve if given the chance (which is very slim) - were out on loan at Dun Utd last season with decent success 16 goals in 28 games, this year no club has offered to take him on loan even though he is listed

15ciwed.png

It's a weird mix of a bit easy and quite frustrating. The players you have are pretty much enough to deliver the league title straight off the bat but improving the squad is proving to be tricky in season 1 because of budget sizes.

Been playing the demo the last week or so and ended up buying the full game last night, first time since FM '11. Up to mid Feb atm and still in all comps. Strolling it domestically with only 1 defeat so far. Got St Mirren coming up in the League Cup final coming up and The Rangers (2012) in the Scottish Cup QF.

Champions League started off with an embarrassing 1-1 against Gyor :D before beating them 4-1 at Celtic Park. Beat Slovan Bratislava 3-0 on agg then Dinamo 4-1. Got Man Utd, Shakhter and Basel in groups. Beat Shakhter 1-0 away then drew 2-2 against United at home with United grabbing a late equaliser. Beat Basel 5-2 and 4-1 before securing first place with a 3-0 win over Shakhter. Lost 4-1 to Utd away. Was 'rewarded' with Man City in the last 16 whilst United got Benfica :( Somehow drew 0-0 away with City having 26 shots to my 2 :D Still got the 2nd leg to play but with Brown suspended, Pepe injured and Stanciu ineligible I don't fancy my chances.

Summer and Jan signings so far....

GK - Missed out on Khune for 400k who was my number one target. Managed to sell Zaluska for 150k mid August after offering him out every other day for over a month. :D Fabianski was transfer listed so managed to bring him in to rotate with Forster, Arsenal were interested in McMullan so got him for £0 plus 15% sell on, Stokes, Fridjohnsson and McMullan. Wanted Fridj and Stokes off the wage bill as I didn't plan to use either of them and couldn't attract a single offer for either. Signed up Martinez from Arsenal on a pre contract in Jan so will probably sell one of Forster/Fabianski at the end of the season if I can get a decent bid.

RB - Sold Lustig to PSV for £5M to give me money to spend elsewhere. Brought in Manolev on a free as back up to Matthews, been using Fisher a bit as well and all done pretty well. Anyone got any recommendations for a first choice next season? Plan to sell Manolev and keep Matthews.

CB - Brought in Boyata for 600k then sold Mulgrew on the English deadline day for £2.9M. Gave Mouyokolo a new contract then sold him in Jan for 600k. In Jan I sold Efe for £4.3M and brought in Demidov for 700k (already valued at £2.1M) and an American regen for £2.3M who looks awesome. Tempted to sell Van Dijk, Demidov and Boyata in the summer and go all out for Balanta then bring in Galvez and Pejcinovic on frees.

LB - Sold Izzy for £3.5M again so I had cash to spend elsewhere. Brought in Taylor-Sinclair for 200k and Reira on a free, both done really well with Taylor-Sinclair having a ton of assists and Reira averaging 7.33. Bought Jonathan Silva for £4.8M in Jan as it was easily my weakest position despite the high average ratings. Will try and get rid of Reira in the summer as he's on 18k a week.

AMR - Sold Thomson for 400k, brought in Pepe for £2.5M who's easily been my best signing so far although he's had a fair few injuries. Averaging 7.91 in the league. Signed Olinga on a pre contract so don't plan on making any changes here.

DM/CM - Sold Kayal for 875k, brought in Diarra on a free. Henderson went on the English deadline day for 900k. Signed Thorne on a pre contract in Jan and a Norwegian regen is coming at the end of the season for 200k. Might sell Biton and try and bring in Hughes as Biton hasn't been performing, Johansen has been brilliant so far.

LM - Samaras out for £3.3M and missed lost out on Savitskiy to Valencia which left me short until Jan although Pepe and Commons did the job when needed. Tried to sell Boerrigter in Jan but no offers (even when I offered him out at £1.5M, valued at £3.5M) so will try again in the summer. Sadio Mane came in for £3.4M in Jan and looks the part. Looking at Kusk or Savitskiy in summer if I can sell Derk.

AM - Commons was brilliant with Pukki as back up but got a £2.3M offer in Jan and couldn't reject it considering his age. Sold Pukki as well for £3M and brought in Stanciu and Aimar for £4.5M and 40k. Will probably go for Dorrans when he's released for HG reasons but can't afford his wages atm.

ST - Big signing was Mame Diouf for £5M with May also coming for 250k plus Lewis Kidd. Both been excellent although Diouf's scoring record was hindered by playing him at AMR because of my lack of wingers/injuries up to Jan. Balde was sold in Jan for £1.5M (wish I'd offered him out for more as had over 10 clubs offer £1.5M up front) and Griffiths rejected a 750k move to Dundee United. Signed Fierro for £5.25M in Jan and Vydra on a pre contract also. Ideally hoping to get around £10M for Diouf in the summer then £1M for Griffiths and use it to bring in Batshuayi for his £6.75M release fee which would leave me with Batshuayi, Fierro, Vydra and May fighting for one place. Should probably sell May as well but he's been excellent off the bench.

Total of £30.39M spent with £28.82M sold. Had the board invest around £4M in November then a further £3M in mid Jan without me asking.

So squad will looks like this once the pre contracts are in

GK Forster Fabianski Martinez

RB Matthews Manolev Fisher

CB Van Dijk Demidov

CB Grossman (regen) Boyata

LB J.Silva Taylor-Sinclair Reira

DM Brown Diarra Thorne

CM Johansen Biton Rasmussen (regen)

LM Mane Boerrigter

AMR Pepe Forrest Olinga

AMC Stanciu Aimar

ST Diouf Fierro Vydra May Griffiths

Will probably stick with this save for 2-3 seasons before starting another with Celtic in the Championship, there's a good UK League database so will probably go with that.

Edit: **** me that's an essay. :D

Been playing the demo the last week or so and ended up buying the full game last night, first time since FM '11. Up to mid Feb atm and still in all comps. Strolling it domestically with only 1 defeat so far. Got St Mirren coming up in the League Cup final coming up and The Rangers (2012) in the Scottish Cup QF.

Champions League started off with an embarrassing 1-1 against Gyor :D before beating them 4-1 at Celtic Park. Beat Slovan Bratislava 3-0 on agg then Dinamo 4-1. Got Man Utd, Shakhter and Basel in groups. Beat Shakhter 1-0 away then drew 2-2 against United at home with United grabbing a late equaliser. Beat Basel 5-2 and 4-1 before securing first place with a 3-0 win over Shakhter. Lost 4-1 to Utd away. Was 'rewarded' with Man City in the last 16 whilst United got Benfica :( Somehow drew 0-0 away with City having 26 shots to my 2 :D Still got the 2nd leg to play but with Brown suspended, Pepe injured and Stanciu ineligible I don't fancy my chances.

Summer and Jan signings so far....

GK - Missed out on Khune for 400k who was my number one target. Managed to sell Zaluska for 150k mid August after offering him out every other day for over a month. :D Fabianski was transfer listed so managed to bring him in to rotate with Forster, Arsenal were interested in McMullan so got him for £0 plus 15% sell on, Stokes, Fridjohnsson and McMullan. Wanted Fridj and Stokes off the wage bill as I didn't plan to use either of them and couldn't attract a single offer for either. Signed up Martinez from Arsenal on a pre contract in Jan so will probably sell one of Forster/Fabianski at the end of the season if I can get a decent bid.

RB - Sold Lustig to PSV for £5M to give me money to spend elsewhere. Brought in Manolev on a free as back up to Matthews, been using Fisher a bit as well and all done pretty well. Anyone got any recommendations for a first choice next season? Plan to sell Manolev and keep Matthews.

CB - Brought in Boyata for 600k then sold Mulgrew on the English deadline day for £2.9M. Gave Mouyokolo a new contract then sold him in Jan for 600k. In Jan I sold Efe for £4.3M and brought in Demidov for 700k (already valued at £2.1M) and an American regen for £2.3M who looks awesome. Tempted to sell Van Dijk, Demidov and Boyata in the summer and go all out for Balanta then bring in Galvez and Pejcinovic on frees.

LB - Sold Izzy for £3.5M again so I had cash to spend elsewhere. Brought in Taylor-Sinclair for 200k and Reira on a free, both done really well with Taylor-Sinclair having a ton of assists and Reira averaging 7.33. Bought Jonathan Silva for £4.8M in Jan as it was easily my weakest position despite the high average ratings. Will try and get rid of Reira in the summer as he's on 18k a week.

AMR - Sold Thomson for 400k, brought in Pepe for £2.5M who's easily been my best signing so far although he's had a fair few injuries. Averaging 7.91 in the league. Signed Olinga on a pre contract so don't plan on making any changes here.

DM/CM - Sold Kayal for 875k, brought in Diarra on a free. Henderson went on the English deadline day for 900k. Signed Thorne on a pre contract in Jan and a Norwegian regen is coming at the end of the season for 200k. Might sell Biton and try and bring in Hughes as Biton hasn't been performing, Johansen has been brilliant so far.

LM - Samaras out for £3.3M and missed lost out on Savitskiy to Valencia which left me short until Jan although Pepe and Commons did the job when needed. Tried to sell Boerrigter in Jan but no offers (even when I offered him out at £1.5M, valued at £3.5M) so will try again in the summer. Sadio Mane came in for £3.4M in Jan and looks the part. Looking at Kusk or Savitskiy in summer if I can sell Derk.

AM - Commons was brilliant with Pukki as back up but got a £2.3M offer in Jan and couldn't reject it considering his age. Sold Pukki as well for £3M and brought in Stanciu and Aimar for £4.5M and 40k. Will probably go for Dorrans when he's released for HG reasons but can't afford his wages atm.

ST - Big signing was Mame Diouf for £5M with May also coming for 250k plus Lewis Kidd. Both been excellent although Diouf's scoring record was hindered by playing him at AMR because of my lack of wingers/injuries up to Jan. Balde was sold in Jan for £1.5M (wish I'd offered him out for more as had over 10 clubs offer £1.5M up front) and Griffiths rejected a 750k move to Dundee United. Signed Fierro for £5.25M in Jan and Vydra on a pre contract also. Ideally hoping to get around £10M for Diouf in the summer then £1M for Griffiths and use it to bring in Batshuayi for his £6.75M release fee which would leave me with Batshuayi, Fierro, Vydra and May fighting for one place. Should probably sell May as well but he's been excellent off the bench.

Total of £30.39M spent with £28.82M sold. Had the board invest around £4M in November then a further £3M in mid Jan without me asking.

So squad will looks like this once the pre contracts are in

GK Forster Fabianski Martinez

RB Matthews Manolev Fisher

CB Van Dijk Demidov

CB Grossman (regen) Boyata

LB J.Silva Taylor-Sinclair Reira

DM Brown Diarra Thorne

CM Johansen Biton Rasmussen (regen)

LM Mane Boerrigter

AMR Pepe Forrest Olinga

AMC Stanciu Aimar

ST Diouf Fierro Vydra May Griffiths

Will probably stick with this save for 2-3 seasons before starting another with Celtic in the Championship, there's a good UK League database so will probably go with that.

Edit: **** me that's an essay. :D

Thats quite a team you have built in a short time! I see you're using an asymmetric system like myself. Although I'm surprised you let so many of the youngsters go they have developed pretty well for me so far.

End of the 3rd season

Was "forced" to have a clear out of some of my first team players before the season, as the finances looked grim

£29m of players left the club in season 3

Including first choice central defense pair Coates and Ilori, Captain Scott Brown, Taylor-Sinclair, Fisher and Charlie Mulgrew

Spend £5m on new players

With Alessio Romagnoli from Roma the most expensive at £1.8m

Other than him Nick Powell from Man U arrived on a Bosman, the rest was newgens for the future - In January Sam Byram joined on loan from Man C as Lille bought my newgen backup player for right back

Tactics was tweaked to make it more solid

---

Trailed Nevco until December due to me resting players ahead (and sometimes after) Champions League matches, but after that they fated away and finished 3rd after me and St Mirren

But in Europe things was going excellent

Easy patch to the CL; Djurgården, KR and Cork were send packing in the qualifyers

Group of RB Salzburg, FC Porto and Atl Madrid (who would go on to win La Liga that year)

(H) Salzburg 6-0

(A) Porto 4-0

(H) Atletico 3-1

(A) Atletico 0-0

(A) Salzburg 1-1

(H) Porto 2-1

Got a trip to Signal Iduna Park after Xmas

(A) Dortmund 0-1

(H) Dortmund 5-1 (after going 1-0 after 11 Minutes in that leg)

St Jakobspark was up next

(A) Basel 3-0

(H) Basel 1-0

After a easy ride in the Q, a trip to Santiago waited for me

(A) Real Madrid 0-1

(H) Real Madrid 2-0

Final time at San Siro where Man C waited (City had spend £265m so far in the game)

(N) Man City 3-0

fladfl.jpg

Guess I got lucky that Kompany pulled a hamstering early in the game as their defense didn't look safe, they were dangerous going forward, but a big thank to my rock Asmir Begovic :thumbsup: and goals from newgen Cander, Rhodes and Højbjerg won the game for me

Højbjerg also scored the two goals that won me the Semi finals - what a player :clap:

Rhodes took the CL Golden Boot for the second year running :worthy:

---

Signed this 16 year old Bulgarian wonderkid ahead of next season (had been trailing him for almost 1½ year without him wanting to join, but after reaching the Semi final of the CL he became interested - £1.4m bargain

17g1ds.png

End of the 3rd season

Was "forced" to have a clear out of some of my first team players before the season, as the finances looked grim

£29m of players left the club in season 3

Including first choice central defense pair Coates and Ilori, Captain Scott Brown, Taylor-Sinclair, Fisher and Charlie Mulgrew

Spend £5m on new players

With Alessio Romagnoli from Roma the most expensive at £1.8m

Other than him Nick Powell from Man U arrived on a Bosman, the rest was newgens for the future - In January Sam Byram joined on loan from Man C as Lille bought my newgen backup player for right back

Tactics was tweaked to make it more solid

---

Trailed Nevco until December due to me resting players ahead (and sometimes after) Champions League matches, but after that they fated away and finished 3rd after me and St Mirren

But in Europe things was going excellent

Easy patch to the CL; Djurgården, KR and Cork were send packing in the qualifyers

Group of RB Salzburg, FC Porto and Atl Madrid (who would go on to win La Liga that year)

(H) Salzburg 6-0

(A) Porto 4-0

(H) Atletico 3-1

(A) Atletico 0-0

(A) Salzburg 1-1

(H) Porto 2-1

Got a trip to Signal Iduna Park after Xmas

(A) Dortmund 0-1

(H) Dortmund 5-1 (after going 1-0 after 11 Minutes in that leg)

St Jakobspark was up next

(A) Basel 3-0

(H) Basel 1-0

After a easy ride in the Q, a trip to Santiago waited for me

(A) Real Madrid 0-1

(H) Real Madrid 2-0

Final time at San Siro where Man C waited (City had spend £265m so far in the game)

(N) Man City 3-0

fladfl.jpg

Guess I got lucky that Kompany pulled a hamstering early in the game as their defense didn't look safe, they were dangerous going forward, but a big thank to my rock Asmir Begovic :thumbsup: and goals from newgen Cander, Rhodes and Højbjerg won the game for me

Højbjerg also scored the two goals that won me the Semi finals - what a player :clap:

Rhodes took the CL Golden Boot for the second year running :worthy:

---

Signed this 16 year old Bulgarian wonderkid ahead of next season (had been trailing him for almost 1½ year without him wanting to join, but after reaching the Semi final of the CL he became interested - £1.4m bargain

17g1ds.png

Out of the transfer window ahead of season 4

Joe Thomson were signed on a free, 3 seasons after joining Arsenal for £7.5m - not going to be a first team players, but nice to have a half decent homegrown in the reserves

Two Newgens were signed as well, a Polish midfielder ahead of Juve , went straight out on loan to Torino for more than I paid for him, a £500k profit on him so far - and an Argentine striker that will become my 2nd choice after the amazing Jordan Rhodes in time, will need time to adjust to Scotland, and McMullan will need to be able play AML (started retraining him) before the Argentine will move up to 2nd choice, McGeady will be 32 next summer when his contract runs out, so don't think that he will get a new contract as McMullan's pace dribling and finishing will make him a good inside forward

Jack Robinson left for Bolton for £4.2m not bad for a back up player signed two years ago on a free, with him spending 6 months on loan at Hull the first year for £625k

On the final day of the transfer window Monaco transferlisted Domenico Berardi for £2.6m - as a result he was bought in and Nick Powell were sold to Reading for £10.75m (with Berardi stepping in as back up at AMR to Cander and Gauld being moved down to back up for Højbjerg in central midfield)

Some other newgens were shipped out on loan for the season for a years total of £4.25m

---

Finances are under control with £45m in the bank and a projected end of the year balance of £50m

New training and youth facilites will be finished in December

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm not playing Nevco (whoever they are) nor Inter... And I'm certainly not 6 years into my game :p

sure...

18-11-2014 18:25 #89

Gungner

How do people manage to sign Boyata on loan? He rejects me every time with Rangers :p

11-08-2014 21:35 #510

Gungner

Starting my first season with Inter, and I need a left-back.

;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess that Man City didn't want to win it

i1fswn.png

Win makes it 3 CL titles in a row

Had hoped that I could field a all Scottish team in the final in the next couple of season, this year the French youth festival ruined it as I had several youth players called up

Next season my Scottish reserve keeper will leave as he had a C**T of a agent, so I'll have to see if I can buy him back at some point, even if he isn't that good

Archived