How to make my team defend organised under control?

So I've taken to the adventure of the holy grail of football tactics. I'm trying to emulate Rinus Michels but I seem to be having a slight problem on the defensive side. We're doing well in overlapping play and controlling the game in a good fairly slow but well placed tempo. On the defensive side I have my midfield who doesn't like to come back to aid the defence. Now I have all my midfield set to either support or attack but I also went them all to return to a defensive position behind the ball. How can I do this under the control philosophy or should I move to defensive but emphasize heavily on possession?

No I've been tweaking a little more and I have the CB's almost how I want them now. My problem is my wing backs. I think theres too much of a gap between them and the CB's. I've just told them now to sit narrow but run wide. My hope is that they retain an organised formation on the defensive but be more expressive when we have possession. Although this is the case for the whole team in all honesty.

The team itself so far has played better without changing the defensive line. I had them drop deeper in first game of the season and it didn't go so well. I am playing as Port Vale in league one first season so I am limited to how much I can emulate of Rinus Michels tactics. My last game on the other hand went really well as we won 4-1 and dominated the game completely.

Archived