Treq shooting from range too often

I'm playing as Chelsea and currently have Juan Mata/Oscar set as a Treq behind Eto as a Poacher. I figured that would be a decent creator/scorer partnership. I have Hazard wide left as IF (s) and Willian wide right as W (a). Cole has attack duty to support Hazard while Azpi has support duty to complement Willian. I have Oscar instructed to shoot less often but he'll still frequently blaze it from range even though there's someone open to pass to. How do I fix this? I'm playing a Counter/Rigid Strategy with Retain Possession, Pass into Space, Run at Defence, Roam from Positions instructions.

You can't fix this without changing the role. The trequartista has pretty much total creative freedom. If you don't want him to make the decisions (IE whether to shoot or not), don't set him as a trequartista. And if you don't want him shooting, you want to operate him in a deeper role if he still shoots too often regardless of instructions (under a role that does not necessarily involve long-range efforts).

Not sure of Oscar's attributes off-hand, but another possibility is to train his deficiencies so his shots aren't so wasteful. You might think about particularly improving his composure, since due to age that's probably lower than his technique or his long shots and will reap the widest benefits overall.

A further possibility is that no other attacking player is in a position to receive a pass, so he elects to shoot rather than turn and pass backwards. In this case, you need to look at your other players and their heatmaps, and figure out how to ensure that at least one player is always providing Oscar with an outball if nothing is on. If his decisions and teamwork attributes are high enough (IE, he can see that the best option for the team is to retain possession), he'll pass back rather than shoot if the shot is unlikely to succeed.

Ah, just checked Oscar's PPMs, he has shoots from distance. That explains it. I guess I should unlearn that and try to learn plays killer balls instead. I'm looking for my AMC to be the main playmaker and roam around looking for space, and then play in my wingers while finally being a presence in the box to finish things off. Is Treq actually what I'm looking for? Or would I be more successful with another role? I'd like the AMC to form a good partnership with the Poacher up front too ideally.

Ah, just checked Oscar's PPMs, he has shoots from distance. That explains it. I guess I should unlearn that and try to learn plays killer balls instead. I'm looking for my AMC to be the main playmaker and roam around looking for space, and then play in my wingers while finally being a presence in the box to finish things off. Is Treq actually what I'm looking for? Or would I be more successful with another role? I'd like the AMC to form a good partnership with the Poacher up front too ideally.

You can try to train him off it, but he might not like it, and it might not be successful. Annoying, I know. PPMs override any other instructions you might give him, so he's going to carry on shooting I'm afraid! You could try using an AP role rather than a Treq.

Your best bet might be to train 'tries killer balls more often' rather than removing the shooting.

Archived