Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

My last say on the matter, after the other results i had Chelsea up next at UP, i have NO "hard tackling" or "get stuck in" shouts and i always remove hard tackling from the OI's. 20 mins in and i get a straight red, at the end of the game(which i of course lose" we had 15 fouls to their 28.

I also got a player injured and one that will get a 3 match ban, so its quitting time.

Really what's the point?

You really, really are not helping yourself, nor the wider perception of your feedback.

What is the context of the tackles? You could have had a player who launched into a knee high two footed tackle, whereas Chelsea might just have committed a series of niggly fouls.

Numbers in isolation mean absolutely nothing without context, and is precisely why you are misreading the screenshots that you have a penchant for posting.

Not applying Team or Player Instructions does not mean that hard tackles won't happen - they aren't on or off buttons!

The guy who was sent off, what is his Role, what are his attributes, what are his PPMs?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meant to reply earlier then a whole lot of junk intervened :)

Well in spite of the Demo currently not having the latest ME it's plenty close enough otherwise to base a decision on as far as I'm concerned, in fact as nobody yet has access to the eventual ME you certainly are no worse off in that respect than anybody else. lol.

Iirc correctly your last version is FM10? if that's the case it's worth 25 quid just to see what's changed.

Yeah, money isn't the problem, barring disasters, I always planned to get FM14 after the final pa...update. As for the demo, I absolutely cannot play the game with a light skin (solvable), but certain types of bug really, really frustrate me.

I am checking the bug forums and getting feedback from a couple of friends in an effort to convince myself to get it earlier. From what I've learnt the game is a gnats away from greatness and if the next update works as intended I won't even need the demo, so fingers crossed and thanks for your time.

xxx

Below is Aston Villa's current injury list, in real life,

In their match against Tottenham on the 20th October, they had 15(2) shots at goal to spurs 13(6), but lost 2-0,

This team and match were picked at random. But there are thousands of similar stories everywhere.

So either real life is broken and unplayable, or the game is a simulation of football, and most of the time in football, life is fairly crappy for most teams.

Every year there are 19 teams that don't win the league, next year no matter what, there will be 31 teams that don't win the world cup. Most teams hardly ever win anything, ever.

There are bugs in the game, sure, but they get fixed, if you want unplayable, try going back a few years and play CM4 straight out of the box.

Some of us actually have been playing since the early days, and all things considered, the game is in excellent shape.

I've been reading these forums for over a decade now, and there is a good reason I've only clocked up a little over 500 posts, I get sick of year after year sparring with people

who either don't have the patience to craft a decent tactic, or the patience to reload the same match 60 times to get the result they want.

The game is getting more real to life, and just in case you haven't realised yet, life sucks for most people, most of the time.

Aston Villa's current injury list from physioroom. (Honestly, this is ridiculous, did you even test this planet before you released it, god?)

C Benteke Knee Injury 25th Nov 13

B Guzan Knock 25th Nov 13

F Delph Knee Injury 25th Nov 13

C Clark Ankle/Foot Injury no return date

A Weimann Hamstring Injury 25th Nov 13

A Luna Hamstring Injury 25th Nov 13

J Bennett Back Injury 4th Dec 13

G Agbonlahor Ankle/Foot Injury 25th Nov 13

G Gardner Back Injury no return date

J Okore ACL Knee Injury Jun 14

C N'Zogbia Calf/Shin Injury no return date

My last say on the matter, after the other results i had Chelsea up next at UP, i have NO "hard tackling" or "get stuck in" shouts and i always remove hard tackling from the OI's. 20 mins in and i get a straight red, at the end of the game(which i of course lose" we had 15 fouls to their 28.

I also got a player injured and one that will get a 3 match ban, so its quitting time.

Really what's the point?

No offence intended but it does seem to me reading your posts that FM isn't really your sort of game. You seem to dislike the amount of control you give up by being a manager and only being able to indirectly affect a match. Also I suspect you would prefer a game where you get a clear and direct reward for what you see as good play whereas FM & football in general has a certain amount of luck involved.

Where is best place to check if the update has been released? I don't want to be reading through the same things over and over here twice a day any longer

They could post you a letter if you prefer :)

I think there should be a sticky post in GD somewhere when its available else you can see when you fire up FM and check the version. Steam will need to download the ME so this will be a clue also

Seriously people really have to try the tactics forum!

I only went in there as RTHerringbone kept asking for people to go there if they were having problems and no-one took him up on the offer, I am really glad I did!

After 2 straight promotions I figured my tactic was sound and I really did not need any help, boy was I wrong, I never really thought how my team would look when they both had and did not have the ball.

I also never put enough attention in how my players would be able to find a pass, I just figured there would be a player there to pass to, not true at all, I have a much better understanding of my team since I made the thread in the tactics forum.

It is also good that other people have also been helped by the thread, not by me directly, those other players maybe had the same ideas I had but not quite the understanding to get those ideas on to the pitch, thanks to the people posting in the thread they have helped me and the others get that better understanding.

Taken that with what I already knew my team is playing some fantastic stuff, we are sitting 3rd In the German 1st Division with 6 games to go, a real battle going on for the last 2 CL spots(the 2 leaders are long gone) with me and 4 other teams.

This is our first season in this division and we are certainly over achieving.

I have no doubt we would not be in this position if I had not made that thread in the tactics forum.

I highly recommend everyone to visit the tactic forum, even if you think your tactic is the greatest ever you should still at least visit the forum, for anyone that is having problems getting their team to play the way they want I suggest you make a thread on the tactics forum, include screenshots of your tactics and other information and I am sure you will get some good advice.

1 other thing to remember is that you have to be willing to learn and take any advice given, if you go in with the mindset of "pfft this is a waste of time, I know my tactic is great" then there is no point.

Again thanks to the people that have posted and continue to post in my thread, my Leipzig side salute you.

Really what's the point?

You get an injury and a red card, and that's a bad thing for the game? These things happen in football, and I'm fairly sure in real life that it is not only players told to tackle hard by their manager that get red cards! I guarantee you have less injuries than the real life average, because they are so much lower in FM than RL, but I guess that's not worth complaining about.

jimbob :lol:

The irony is that it's very likely that when the update hits, his teams are more than likely going to struggle badly, as exploitations in the current match engine will (should!) be all but be eradicated.

Wait for this Dave, you sitting comfortably?

I agree with you!

I think the same is/was true of my old formation, I think I was maybe exploiting something in the ME, I also think that when that update hits my tactic would have turned into a bombsite.

I have no such worries now.

Great thread title. Now I understand.:D

Btw, I played a bit yesterday, tried to use the analyze tab during the matches, and with small adjustments made my team do what I wanted. It is absolutely possible to play with this ME. Play logically to.

I once had a drink with the King of Denmark, so nothing is too much for our Scandinavian friends :D

I agree with you!

I think the same is/was true of my old formation, I think I was maybe exploiting something in the ME, I also think that when that update hits my tactic would have turned into a bombsite.

Its probably worth pointing out that no-one in daylight's thread in the tactics forum has told him what to do, they have just helped him understand how his old tactic worked and given him ideas on how to improve it.

Everything after that has been of daylight's own making and good luck to him.

Link to his tactics thread btw: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/374457-My-4-1-1-3-1-%28AKA-RTHerringbones-guinea-pig%29

Seriously people really have to try the tactics forum!

I only went in there as RTHerringbone kept asking for people to go there if they were having problems and no-one took him up on the offer, I am really glad I did!

After 2 straight promotions I figured my tactic was sound and I really did not need any help, boy was I wrong, I never really thought how my team would look when they both had and did not have the ball.

I also never put enough attention in how my players would be able to find a pass, I just figured there would be a player there to pass to, not true at all, I have a much better understanding of my team since I made the thread in the tactics forum.

It is also good that other people have also been helped by the thread, not by me directly, those other players maybe had the same ideas I had but not quite the understanding to get those ideas on to the pitch, thanks to the people posting in the thread they have helped me and the others get that better understanding.

Taken that with what I already knew my team is playing some fantastic stuff, we are sitting 3rd In the German 1st Division with 6 games to go, a real battle going on for the last 2 CL spots(the 2 leaders are long gone) with me and 4 other teams.

This is our first season in this division and we are certainly over achieving.

I have no doubt we would not be in this position if I had not made that thread in the tactics forum.

I highly recommend everyone to visit the tactic forum, even if you think your tactic is the greatest ever you should still at least visit the forum, for anyone that is having problems getting their team to play the way they want I suggest you make a thread on the tactics forum, include screenshots of your tactics and other information and I am sure you will get some good advice.

1 other thing to remember is that you have to be willing to learn and take any advice given, if you go in with the mindset of "pfft this is a waste of time, I know my tactic is great" then there is no point.

Again thanks to the people that have posted and continue to post in my thread, my Leipzig side salute you.

Fantastic to hear that now you play the football you want and its pleasing on the eye. I really wish more people like you would be willing to give it a try and be pleasantly surprised with the end results like you was. It's easy to moan about things yet majority won't ever come in tactics forum because they believe they aren't doing anything wrong and won't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe things aren't as rosey like they think.

All credit to you for coming over to the dark side, I gained a lot of respect for you because you tried to do something about the issues you had :)

Unfortunately we can't release any update until we have tied up a few loose ends so nothing this week. I'm as frustrated as you, but we have to be diligent.

Incredibly disappointing news. :(

I was hoping it would be sorted this week.

Hello dear fellow FM-junkies. I've been reading this thread (and checking for the patch) for a while. I'd like to put my own two cents in if you let me.

First of all, the first game of the franchise that I played was CM Italia. It was about 20 years ago, I was on an Amiga and to start a game meant 3-4 hours or so. Since then I skipped maybe 2 games and played the rest of them, to the point of "this is my life and I'll do what I want with it"s.

And no, this is not a "you screwed it all up. never again, stupid ME" type of feedback.

First of all, nobody seems to mention it much around the forums, but the game runs very fast now. Thank you for that. And no I'm not comparing it to Amiga days you funny, funny cynical generation you :))

OK I skipped FM13. So maybe that's when this speedification happened, I don't know. But anyway I played the 13demo, the new tactical system seemed a little too different, plus I had a sick savegame in FM12, so I figured, like I did back when they took away the "with ball", "without ball" tactics, I'll wait a year. It's intuition perhaps, like not buying the new game-console in the first 6 months of its launch, or not updating to the X.01 IOS and waiting for the frustrated masses to beta-test it. Long story short, having bought FM14 on the dot, I guess I missed the new FM-smell. Then, finding the game super-hard, I came back to the good-old forums to get myself re-educated. Apparently FM13 was finally to the general-consumer's liking around March patch. Or something, doesn't matter.

With the sliders gone, the game to me seemed less engineer-y and more litterature-ish. Even though the sliders still exist, just not where we can see, or touch them. For that, I headed to the tactics forum. I mean, why would any manager want his team to be not fluid right? So reading from WWFAN book I found out that it is somehow a fatal mistake to have disproportionate number of specialty players vis-a-vis the fluidity choice. OK. But why? I guess there is more to read, and I could perhaps speculate but the point of the game for me, is to freaking play it.

And win, too. Obviously not every game, but a lot. That is, I'm not a LLM fan. Though, I prefer managing mid-table or subdivision teams with potential and taking them to the top. But even then, I like progressing my career onto the bigger teams. So after reading and tweaking on my own for some time, I had to download a tactic. It's not ideal, but I'm not ashamed either, and it's not the first time. I had to see why and how a tactic is successful. I used the Sacchi's 4-4-2 tactic, a sticky on the first page and comes with lots of good testimonials. It worked. All the common frustrations you read here seemed to become minor and rare comedies. Yeah, there are some absurd happenings and I'm sure they'll be dealt with via the patches. But I think playing the game 2D helps a lot too. Remember I come from the time when we used to vaguely read about what was happening. Before then, you don't even want to know. Anyway...

Much of the game is great, better than ever. It certainly deserves to be my main hobby and best friend to escape from reality. I mean it's so good that it almost makes up for the way my addiction to it has screwed up my life. Kidding. I'm actually very pleased with my overall performance as manager, The memories of great success in the last season are fresh on my mind and that is also being taken into account here.

Anyway the 3D is **** and that won't be fixed with a patch. ME seems like a friend now but really I'm just winning. I'm generally terrified of making any changes to team instructions. I go from attacking to counter or something when it's OBVIOUS, otherwise no. But I'm not angry about it. Remember "4-4-2 Gung-ho" days? Or the forward surging CM with 45 goals a season? Or the 4-1-3-2 Short passing wins all? I adopt, then I play the game. I know, for the purists, exploiting the ME weaknesses is cheating, and it obviously is, but it's so hard to resist knowing you could tear it up in there and not do it. I don't do everything either. I don't exploit corner bugs that we encounter often, for example. In FM12, didn't even come to the forum. Didn't have to. I played fluid-control-short-wide without wingers and tweaking according to squad. But because I like it like that. When I didn't have a team, first seasons of smaller teams for example, that could achieve this style of football, I even played many seasons with small ball, counter-attacking, DM-happy tactics. Getting the result could come from many ways and approaches.

Now I'm still getting used to controlling my team with word combinations rather than a giant equalizer control board. I enjoy winning, but in the meantime I wonder if I learn as much, or is there much to learn really? If this is one of those years dominated by a single way of winning, then too bad. But I'll probably keep playing.

But sometimes there are those years where you (guess I mean me) just seem to get it, everything seems realistic yet somehow achievable. I don't know which ones exactly but I seem to remember the games of 98, 01/02, FM09 and FM12 more tenderly then others. Will FM14 be such a success? Too soon to say, but I think it definitely has the potential.

Thought I'd something more to say...

Maybe said too much, see y'all

Unfortunately we can't release any update until we have tied up a few loose ends so nothing this week. I'm as frustrated as you, but we have to be diligent.

We all understund this news. The new problems you ve found, is it possible to solve or it's something very difficult?

No worries mate. Take your time and make sure it is solid. I'm sure the majority would prefer a good update over a quick update. Those of us with lives and jobs of our own understand what you're doing, so don't stress about it, and don't pay attention to the entitled teenagers that have nothing better to do than whine on the forums. Go drown that frustration in coffee and fiddle with them loose ends.

No worries, I can't even guess how complicated it is, and I'm happy to wait if the end result is worth it.

Also, there's always Dota 2.

Here we go again with comparing a computer game to the real thing. I'm not gloating, but I would put at least 6 past Glentoran with Tottenham with minimal effort. At some point we simply have to take responsibility for our ability or lack thereof when it comes to this game. If you or I were playing Super Mario Bros and I kept dying every five minutes yet I watched you run through the whole game without losing a life, from my perspective is the game broken or am I just pants at the game? I'm not saying you are that in terms of Football Manager, but nobody has the right to be an FM master—it takes time and a studious approach. If you're not willing to put the time in, it's probably not the game for you. Sorry to be so blunt, but FM IS A GAME, IT'S NOT REAL LIFE.

Forgive me if I'm wrong....but isn't FM a simulation of real life situations in football? Therefore it would mirror what would happen in real life - obviously not exactly because that would be hard to do but FM is very good at getting things very close to reality.

Now you're giving it the old "maybe you're just not very good at the game" - maybe you're right but maybe there are known issues affecting the game? The faults will be ironed out, i'm sure, but you're missing the point of what i've said.

No reality check needed here, maybe it is necessary for yourself though with the pathetic way you've approached my post.

By the way... I'm not sure SI would be delighted by you telling us not to compare FM to real life, seeing as that's what they've been working on for the last X amount of years!

I agree with you!

You know, for some very strange reason, your last two posts have made me smile, its as if someone has actually listened to the advice and followed it through to success.

Hats off to you sir. :applause:

Great news! I'll finish the season over the weekend,I am crushing everybody at the moment :D I was worried that there would be an update and that maybe I'd lose some games until I tweak my set up but I'll have a pre season for that I guess. Very happy :)

Groundhog day.. I'm sure it was around this time last friday that SI rep came on to say "they'd had some problems that needed resolving so it wouldn't be this week".

I wonder how many Fridays will repeat themselves.. I do agree what others have said that I'd rather a good (perfect ideally after this wait!) update than a rushed one, but surely the game shouldn't have been released until these issues were ironed out. Sega/SI were happy to take our money by releasing the game essentially unfinished which is a shame.. although I guess thats the world for you these days. Thank god the premier league is back this weekend!!

Groundhog day.. I'm sure it was around this time last friday that SI rep came on to say "they'd had some problems that needed resolving so it wouldn't be this week".

I wonder how many Fridays will repeat themselves.. I do agree what others have said that I'd rather a good (perfect ideally after this wait!) update than a rushed one, but surely the game shouldn't have been released until these issues were ironed out. Sega/SI were happy to take our money by releasing the game essentially unfinished which is a shame.. although I guess thats the world for you these days. Thank god the premier league is back this weekend!!

At least they took the time to give an update on the situation.

So glad I bought COD now.

That's frustrating, but at least you're sorting it out properly. Lets hope there isn't any other major bugs on the forthcoming patch or people will really be upset :D

That's frustrating, but at least you're sorting it out properly. Lets hope there isn't any other major bugs on the forthcoming patch or people will really be upset :D

Make no bones about it, there will still be issues when the update is released, and they'll probably be addressed in the next update cycle.

These issues actually already exist, but hardly anyone has spotted them so far, so their impact hasn't snowballed yet!

but surely the game shouldn't have been released until these issues were ironed out.

These particular issues weren't there when the game was released, they arose because of SI's policy of continuing development up to and beyond release, which some call commendable and some (like me) call too damned risky :D

My policy would be to code lock the ME 2 months before release and then only fix absolute game breakers or things which could be guaranteed to have no knock on effects.

Then I'd say to us (Joe Public) "that is the ME for FM14 like it or loathe it, we're off to Hawaii for 2 weeks and when we come back we'll start on FM15" :)

You should:

a) Read the House Rules and

b) try being better at tactics.

I lost password for my username khudilo.Do a search and u will know how good or bad i have been tactically for years since fm 2008.Beautiful football.

Btw i can win easily with arsenal.But i cannot stand how keepers dive frequently and strikers miss goal posts from minimal range.

Thank you for the update.

Are those few loose ends hard nuts to crack or can you say almost with certainty the update will arrive next week? Sorry I'm fishing here. :p Gonna go back to my game as it's going pretty well now.

Archived