FM 14 - How did your first season go?

Just wondering how people have been getting on really, and if they've found it easy or hard? I've certainly overachieved with my Ipswich side winning the Championship and FA Cup. Never had such a successful first campaign in any FM series to date. How about you guys?

I was 18th in the Championship with Leeds after 26games. They sacked me, even though I turned our form around and even won manager of the month. They hired McLeash and got relegated finishing last :) should have stuck with me!

I started a new game with Real Madrid, currently 3 points behind Barca after half a season having lost 1-0 to them :(

I was 18th in the Championship with Leeds after 26games. They sacked me, even though I turned our form around and even won manager of the month. They hired McLeash and got relegated finishing last :) should have stuck with me!

I started a new game with Real Madrid, currently 3 points behind Barca after half a season having lost 1-0 to them :(

Leeds got relegated in my save too :/

Tried to play with Spurs, went through to EL groups, and in EPL won 2 and draw 1 and i turned it off because of the low ratings, waiting for an update to fix the ME before i'll resume, hopefully it will come out today.

Started as Arsenal, played 4 league games drew one and shipped 4 goals against both Southampton and Newcastle before giving up. It must be my tactics!

It quite clearly is.

Anyway, started a few new games when the full release came out. I'm 11 games into my main Stirling Albion save on the full fat game, and I'm currently top of League 2 and on a terrific run of form. My big striker, Jordan White has hit 17 goals in 15 games in all competitions. Lethal.

Also got a Sunderland save on the go on Classic, which is going not too badly, sitting mid table after about 10 games, and have just recently started a Rimini game on Classic as well. Only played a couple of pre-season friendlies right now, but I'm getting right into it already.

Love this version of the game, best yet by some distance.

Started unemployed and in late October I got offered the Bristol City job, they were 16th in the league and had 10 first team players out injured or suspended. The expectation was promotion but being 9 points off the play-offs I always knew it was going to be hard. I lost 5 of my first 6 games and we sunk into the bottom 4, from there until Feb we were inconsistent, win 1, lose 1, draw 1 and my position was "precarious" as we never got higher than 16th.

I really thought I was going to get sacked but we then clicked and won 6 games in a row and 10 out of the last 13 altogether to finish a decent 8th. The board still aren't happy with me and I had to survive a late season board meeting but i'm still here now planning for next season. Got my team playing some really nice possession based football come the end of the season so hoping for promotion next year.

Took over Workington (from beta), currently won the Skrill North by a mile and half. We just steamroll the opposition here. However, we do face trouble from higher clubs, Barnet I think trounced us without much effort. :(

Waiting for patch to play the Skrill Premier, a quick rush to League 2 so I can get out of the part time rubbish would be lovely jubbly.

started in BETA as Puerta Bonita in Spain, played 9 games before full release and just finished season 1 in 10th. Had some absolute batterings from the better sides in the division ( 5-1, 5-0 ) but did well against the weaker teams. I also mid-way through the season added some alternative formation setups and had a better time than sticking with the 1 tactic.

season 2 will be interesting as half of my team won't sign a new contract, that is of course if my own contract is renewed as the board haven't mentioned it to me yet and I can't seem to find out how to ask them!

Using my Beta save and playing with Nottingham Forest and am in early Nov of first season. Currently 2nd in the Championship after a good unbeaten run of about 10 games. However, played three games after the full release and haven't won any yet. Drew a game that I was supposed to win (played an unmatch fit B team because I was to play Man Utd two days later in Capital One Cup Quarter finals.) I lost terribly 3-0 to Man Utd anyway, dashing my dreams of a cup in the first season. Then lost 1-0 to Blackpool. Am just hoping that its just coincidence that I haven't won anything since the update and nothing to do with tactics or gameplay updated. Tonight, I try again, with better results hopefully.

Using my Beta save and playing with Nottingham Forest and am in early Nov of first season. Currently 2nd in the Championship after a good unbeaten run of about 10 games. However, played three games after the full release and haven't won any yet. Drew a game that I was supposed to win (played an unmatch fit B team because I was to play Man Utd two days later in Capital One Cup Quarter finals.) I lost terribly 3-0 to Man Utd anyway, dashing my dreams of a cup in the first season. Then lost 1-0 to Blackpool. Am just hoping that its just coincidence that I haven't won anything since the update and nothing to do with tactics or gameplay updated. Tonight, I try again, with better results hopefully.

Somehow I managed to win the FA Cup with Ipswich. Beat 4 premiership teams in doing so....Southampton, Man City, Cardiff and then Newcastle. Although, I was luck enough to be drawn at home in every round barring the Semi and Final obviously!

Started as Inter (this was on the beta), managed to win the league comfortably, but got knocked out in the Coppa Italia after Samuele Longo scored 2 for Verona in their 2-1 win. I wouldn't mind but he's only on loan at Verona from Inter, I ought to fine him for playing so well against me!

Started as Inter (this was on the beta), managed to win the league comfortably, but got knocked out in the Coppa Italia after Samuele Longo scored 2 for Verona in their 2-1 win. I wouldn't mind but he's only on loan at Verona from Inter, I ought to fine him for playing so well against me!

This is very unrealistic, as many other players in the game. For example, Kovacic, Llorente and Zapata(Napoli) are critically overrated in the game. Longo has never played in Verona but in the game is a very good striker.

Started as FK Vidar in Norway, but made the mistake of beginning at the English Start of Game date (half way through the season) so got them to a creditable 5th place in my first half season, only to win their league in my first full season with them. Unfortunately now, most of the squad have left due to wage demands/being non-contract and not signing due to my tiny budget, so I'm just starting my first season in the Norwegian First Division with about 14 new unproven players who may very well be out of their depth (having lost pre-season friendlies 2-0 to both Silkborg and Viking). Managed to hang onto Geir André Herrem for one last season (15 goals from 18 games last time, and 23 from 26 (plus 15 assists) this season) though he refuses to sign a new contract :( - It's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Carrying on my beta game with Inverness, won the Scottish cup and the league cup finishing 2nd to Celtic by 1 point, and done the Cant win anything with kids challenge with Stirling Albion, ran away with the league and won the challenge cup.

Finding up until now its rather easy so far.

ito8.png

1st season, took posh up as champions 1st time of asking, not as easy as it seemed though, all of Tomlin, Zakuani, Rowe, Alcock and Bostwick wanted to leave almost as soon as I started (experience was set at ex international) Zakuani had to be sold but managed to keep the others, Rowe got injured for 11 months sometime around nov/dec, bostwick ended being happy to stay, Tomlin asked to stay sometime around february and Alcock was sold at the end of the season for £1.3million.

Started off slow but then went on a great run opening up a 12 point gap although having played 2 games more, went through a bad patch and lost the lead at worst time in march before recovering the morale with a well timed team meeting and some calming team talks and finished strongly to win the division.

Got some really good loan signings which helped, Sam Johnston, M.Leigertwood, A.Crofts and D.Fox.

Since I've been playing since the beta, I've managed to get past quite a few seasons now. Still at Wolves and doing very well.

1st: Won the league by 2 points, straight back to the Championship. Signed a loan striker from Hull who ended up banging them in.

2nd: Easily won the Championship by 12 points, though I expended the considerable bank balance in doing so by keeping most of the overpriced players around.

3rd: Tipped for relegation, I managed to finish 7th thanks to some massive results.

4th: Using the much-improved financial situation, I was able to cement my place in the Prem by strengthening the squad. Final place: 6th.

5th: Continued strengthening the squad and ended up having a great season, but not enough to crack the top 4 which were comfortably ahead. 5th place.

6th: Pipped Man U for 3rd spot by a single point. Time for the Champions League (and all that revenue)!

7th: Managed to get past the group stage in the CL in 2nd place but was quickly knocked out by PSG. Won the title by 3 points, edging out a very strong Chelsea side.

8th: Brought in a lot of top talent for the future, but the influx of new players meant a slow start to the season while they gelled, not helped by facing all the giants at the very start. Having struggled to escape the group stage of the CL this year, I got through to the final after some utterly fluke wins against Barca and R. Madrid, winning the first leg 1-0 and drawing the second 1-1 for both. Sold a decent regen striker who was complaining for 60M, a cool 35M profit. Chelsea dominated the Prem this year and probably deserved to win it, but some lucky results at the last hurdle allowed me to win by a single point.

9th: Having sold a bunch of players for ridiculous levels of profit (raking in something like 250M in fees, much of that profit), I splashed the cash on a top quality regen striker, bringing him in for 50M to replace my departed complaining guy. Much more talented as well.

A lot of potentially world class players with good futures ahead of them, but I need to get a few more experienced players in before the season starts. Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

I started out managing Limerick FC (Irish league) and stayed there until 2018, winning the league numerous times, and multiple other trophies. Once the club refused to go professional I left.

I then came into Bolton in League 2 after 17 games and they were rock bottom, I managed to fix the previous managers mistakes and got the team up to 9th. Right as the season finished I got a job offer from Crystal Palace who had just been relegated from the Premier League. I'm currently managing Palace in 2020. :D

playing as Man United.

1st. won the league

2nd. won the league cup, semi final of CL, 3rd in the league.

I'm gonna restart due to patches/tactical ineptness causing all my strikers to be so demoralised they couldn't find the net if their lives depended on it.

I have 7 games left in my main save. Ourselves and Berwick are miles clear of the pack. Annoyingly in League 2, only one team goes up, so 2nd place will enter the lottery of the playoffs. I had heartache in the first season on FM13 when us and Rangers finished miles clear only for me to be thrashed by Elgin in the playoffs. I can see history repeating itself...

7togo_zps8d57f150.jpg

Gonna be tight!

Playing as Villa in FMC.

Finished 8th in my first season. 65pts lost out on 7th on goal diff. Only 13pts of City who won. 5pts of CL. Delighted as we beat Utd 3-0 final game to cost them the title! Came 2nd for manager of the yr.

No money at all. Brought in Fletcher from Utd on loan, really helped in midfield. Also Gomez from Wigan on loan. Played well for me. 24 games 4 goals 6 assists av rating 7.

I hoping for some cash in the close season. I'd buy both Fletcher and Gomez is a free from July.

Benteke broke his arm with 3 games to go, looks like I'll lose him as 6 big clubs are in for him. I have his fee set to 30m so hopefully I'll get great money for him.

My first season was an automatic promotion with Brighton, winning the Championship after being one game away from the sack which then turned the season around beating Watford 4-0 at home and then went on a great run 'til the end of the season.

Now in my second Premiership season, achieved a respectable finish just below mid table in my first season and got to the FA Cup final losing to Chelsea, and in my second season in the Premiership managed to finish 7th, win the EURO cup on penalties against Bayern Munich and win the FA Cup against Arsenal in extra time 2-1, having got revenge against Chelsea from the season before beating them 2-0 in the Semi's with Torres scoring the winner after they released him! :)

First Season - Finished in 3rd Place with West Ham

Not too sure how it happened, made the most of corners with Rat putting it at near post to signing Cana who tapped them in.

Lets see how Champions League goes!

I find it amusing how many people think the ME was best when they could win easily! Obviously they can't make the game too much like real life or hardly any player would be able to win any trophies in the game, but at the same time it's not exactly fun if the game is too easy and you are breaking records left, right and centre all the time.....

I played the beta from day one and am still playing the same saved game. I'm Spurs.

13/14 - 4th in the Premiership, won the Europa League. Nervy deju vu moment when I realised that 5th place Man Utd were in the Champion's League final and 4th may not be good enough to qualify. Lost to Arsenal in the FA Cup final.

1st - Man City : 82pts

2nd - Arsenal : 82pts

3rd - Chelsea : 75pts

4th - Spurs : 72pts

5th - Man Utd : 71pts

6th - Liverpool : 63pts

14/15 - Really difficult start to the season. Won the European Super Cup but my Premiership form was a disaster to the point where my job became insecure. Turned it around to guide Spurs to finishing 3rd. Lost to Chelsea in the League Cup final. Final game of the season was interesting with Spurs, City and Arsenal all fighting for 3rd. City and Arsenal were playing each other, but also had to face each other in the Champion's League final so Arsenal won the battle for 4th, but lost the Champion's League final to City so failed to qualify for the 15/16 Champ League campaign.

1st - Man Utd : 82pts

2nd - Chelsea : 73pts

3rd - Spurs : 71pts

4th - Arsenal : 67pts

5th - Swansea : 67pts

6th - Man City : 66pts

15/16 - Season is approaching the end, with Spurs having playing 32 games and lying 3rd. We have been knocked out of all cup competitions already. Where the previous seasons points totals were fairly low, this year the usual suspects have ran away with it so far and the points totals are going to potentially be very large. Man City can only throw it away.....

Current table

1st - Man City : P33, 79pts

2nd - Arsenal : P32, 70pts

3rd - Spurs : P32, 68pts

4th - Man Utd : P32, 64pts

5th - Chelsea : P32, 60pts

6th - Liverpool : P32, 55pts

Playing as Wisla Krakow, had a shocking first half of the season I was in 14th place when the Winter Break kicked in. Everything I tried tactics wise just didn't work, so I had one final go at switching tactics during the Winter Break and bringing in two players on loan due to a very small transfer budget. I think it's safe to say that Antony Vanden Borre saved my season as he did a great job sitting in front of the defence.

The lads managed to get a few results to go our way and I managed to lift the team into an 8th placed finish which saved me my job as I was offered a new contract. I seem to have some talented youngsters in the side so hopefully I can develop them and bring in a couple of new faces I should be doing much better next season *fingers crossed*

Archived