Could someone educate my on B2B midfielers and AP's in AMR/L position

If my thread title isn't clear I basically want try figure out what sort of setup best accommodates a box to box midfielder? As in; what formation is it most effective with and what type of player should I pair him with in central midfield?

Secondly whenever I play with AMR's and AML's I always have as either Inside Forwards or Wingers because i've never really been how best to implement someone playing as an Advanced Playmaker. I was wondering if someone had any experience with this and whether or not you had to alter your tactics/formation and/or the roles and duties given to your striker(s) and AMC?

Thanks

I play with Arsenal and currently I'm experimenting playing two B2Bs alongside each other (Wilshere & Ramsey). Ahead of them I have Cazorla as AP(s) on the left, Özil as a Treq and Walcott as Winger(A) on the right. It's working well so far in a tactic with really aggressive pressing and a quick counter attacking football. (Credit has to go to the gegenpressing thread for inspiring me to trial two B2Bs).

Playing an AP on one wing means they tend to come inside a little and almost act as an extra AMC. This leaves space for the overlap from the fullback behind and often draws away the oppositions full back to create a big gap. I'm a huge fan of playing a wide AP if you have the right sort of player for it.

(I'm still on the demo)

In regards to the BxB midfielder, basically any formation that you have APM attacking, DM defending or a CM defending (or 2 other CM to support/defend). BxB is a very roaming position that you can't depend to be in a certain position at key times. I really consider BxB to be more a long range attacker that can defend/close down on opponents a more offensive version of BWM Support. If you have a strong CM defender and a DLP/TM Support, you can easily use BxB even in a 4-4-2.

I never really was interested in forcing an AP on the flank. The way I see it is, you give them only half the field to work with while in the middle, they have both the left and right side. It's far too situational in my opinion but if you would like to make it work, I think it is highly dependent on being able to cut inside and making the opposing defense lose it's shape.

I think APM on the sides is great if you have a creative winger with great crossing and passing especially against a formation where the middle be getting too stacked. The problem with APM is that they will roam from position which will force you to be more narrow. But as mentioned above, if you have an awesome FB that can overlap your APM- it should help out.

Archived