PC's Graphics Capabilities

I'd be grateful if there is anyone who can advise. I have a laptop which has both an onboard and (supposedly) high end gaming graphics card. In preferences, it suggests that the Laptops graphics capability only gets a one star rating, yet when I look at that "Can I run it" website, it suggests that the graphics card is very much able to run the match engine at it's highest spec.

Why is the preference screen in the game not recognising the graphics card, and obviously only seeing the onboard game and how do I know that the game itself won't get the gaming graphics card to kick in. Forgive me but I don't know how two graphics cards work.

Thanks for any advice.

Have you tried running a match to see if it indeed only recognizes the APU? If the match engine runs fine there's no need for concern. I've experienced a lot of games and applications only listing my APU as the graphics source while still using the dedicated GPU.

If you can't run the match engine optimally or at all, try investigating the installed graphics manager. I personally own an AMD system, and can enable and disable "Dual Graphics" in the Vision Engine Control Center or setting performance mode for various applications in the Switchable Graphics menu (accessible by right-clicking on the desktop). I haven't had Intel for a while so I'm not sure what their application is called, but it should work the same.

Thanks for everyone's advice but still having trouble. I've set the game to default to High performing in the Switchable Graphics menu, but it only seems to start if I have it set to power saving (I guess this is the onboard graphic setting!). It is running according to task manager, but it isn't if that makes sense. Any advice anyone?

Archived