Attacking 4-3-3, strikers don't do much, leaking goals (especially late)

I started a season with Wolves, and 4-3-3 seemed like the best way to go with the players I had. I inherited a strong team, and strengthened it with some more signings, and thought I really should just be wiping the floor with League 1. I wanted to play a nice attacking style.

Using this tactic, I'm currently on an 11 match unbeaten run, but too many of those have been draws. Several times the streak has only been saved by going overload and go route one near the end of the game to grab the equalizer.

The two problems I've noticed with this tactic are that most of my goals come from the wingers or the midfield. Not that we're short on scoring, but I have several 4 star rated strikers that just don't seem to get many chances. The other problem is that we can easily go up 2-0 or 3-0, but then after about 50-55 minutes we all of a sudden start giving up goals and either barely scrape a one goal win or end with a draw.

Here's the setup I'm currently using.

cqti.jpg

So basically, I'd like to get the striker more involved and try to shore up the back some. I'm currently not using any position instructions as I've never been a tactical wizard on FM.

I'm not an expert, but I see some obvious issues.

You're playing complete attacking wingbacks with wingers in front of them. Wingbacks should generally be players who are expected to provide all of the width on that side. So they're better paired with Inside Forwards. I think the way you have it set up, the wingers will take up space, and the wingbacks will either not have space to move into or they'll cut inside, which is probably not what you wanted.

433 needs to have penetrative runs from midfield to get on the end of moves or to take a long shot. Your two midfielders are both sitting in the hole passing, so one of them needs to be in a role that can get forward. CM (A) probably.

It's also a back idea to play attack duty wingbacks on both sides I feel. It can leave you short at the back, and also when you're trying to pass it out from the back, if both wingbacks take up more advanced positions it can leave your centerbacks with no choice but to boot it sometimes.

I was toying with the idea of setting one of the CMs to an attack duty. Normally, my AML is an inside forward, but Sako is out for a while with an injury and I don't really have anyone that could play that. My FBL is a really good wingback, so I'm thinking switch the AM duties around so the side with the better wingback will play support with the wing back on attack, and on the other side it'll be switched.

As you have posted this link which is based on a false assumption elsewhere, I'll post the same response here:

It is based on an incorrect premise that to sort out defending, SI "made strikers worse". This not true.

There are some wild long shots, and some setups create a freakish number of shots, and that creates the impression strikers are inefficient, which they aren't overly so.

Your setup looks your striker has horrible body odour, I'd expect him to become isolated and either a) shoot from range or b) not get the ball at all.

An advanced lone forward, IMO, desperately needs a number 10 behind them. You have no way to link midfield and attack. Your wingers will stay wide and your midfielders will hang back.

Perhaps make your striker some sort of support role and give your AP an attack duty. I would also switch one of your wide attackers to an inside forward, this will give you much better interplay near the penalty area. I'm also not a fan of two CWBs, but one and a FB/WB with a support duty should work well, IMO.

Archived