Development advice

Hi,

I need a little advice on how to develop young talent. I've just had a 15 year old striker come through my academy who is dubbed the next Michael Owen and according to my coaches could become a leading Premier League star if he fulfils his potential. But, I am worried about ruining his potential. What should I do and at what age? When do I get someone to tutor him etc?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

This is my usual approach:

Age 15-18 - Get him tutored by a senior player.

Age 18 - Look at his stats and put him on a specific training program, dependent upon his weaknesses.

Age 18-20 - Keep him around the first team squad and play him in cup games, bring him on at the end of games, start him in some of the easier league games with a strong team around him.

If at the age of 20 he hasn't developed into a decent enough squad player or there is too much competition in the team, loan him out to a club where he gets playing time.

This is my usual approach:

Age 15-18 - Get him tutored by a senior player.

Age 18 - Look at his stats and put him on a specific training program, dependent upon his weaknesses.

Age 18-20 - Keep him around the first team squad and play him in cup games, bring him on at the end of games, start him in some of the easier league games with a strong team around him.

If at the age of 20 he hasn't developed into a decent enough squad player or there is too much competition in the team, loan him out to a club where he gets playing time.

Thanks for the advice mate, will loosely follow this!

I've always wondered about what the best way is. I always try to fit them into cup matches and sometimes try tutoring, but I always feel their attributes should improve a lot more if they actually play more. This is the thing I'm most passionate about on FM, nothing makes me prouder than to see a team rise through the leagues that I've raised from the youth setup.

I personally go straight to focus training with these kinda kids, figure what they are weakest at and train that attribute, along with tutoring until about 18, then they are either good enough to rotate in the first team, or they are sent on loan to a club where they can be developed a bit further, but not just any club, if i cant find a good one they dont leave. By 21 i can usually say if the player will make it with me or if i need to let him go.

I personally go straight to focus training with these kinda kids, figure what they are weakest at and train that attribute, along with tutoring until about 18, then they are either good enough to rotate in the first team, or they are sent on loan to a club where they can be developed a bit further, but not just any club, if i cant find a good one they dont leave. By 21 i can usually say if the player will make it with me or if i need to let him go.

Pretty much my method aswell. Had a young kid from Argentina who was going to be an awesome Anchor Man. But his strength was very poor so first of all I worked on that for a good season maybe two seasons. When he was 18 I bought him in for cup games to see how he would progress and then looked to loan him out to the right team for him. This is why I make sure I have good feeder clubs who are in the right level for what I need young kids to be playing in.

Hi,

I need a little advice on how to develop young talent. I've just had a 15 year old striker come through my academy who is dubbed the next Michael Owen and according to my coaches could become a leading Premier League star if he fulfils his potential. But, I am worried about ruining his potential. What should I do and at what age? When do I get someone to tutor him etc?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

These are the two best threads on youth development I've ever read:

The legendary SFraser's guide

(from an older FM, but still right on as far as concepts and philosophy. Please note: He was later proven wrong about determination's role in development, but if you mentally replace "determination" with "professionalism", it's spot on).

Cleon's Ajax project

(from FM13 - if there's anything to point out, it's that Cleon was developing players to best fit the Ajax philosophy and mission, rather than a focus on absolute maximum gain, so some particulars you can edit to suit your taste, but the overall concepts are solid).

Personally I divide these young prospects into 3 categories. Excellent (can go into the team for Cup matches straightaway), Good (needs abit of work but Cup matches wouldn't hurt), and Decent (needs plenty of work, unlikely to play until they are developed) and all of them will be given tutors to get their Professionalism up. Players who fall into the first category will likely be thrown into Cup matches, I couldn't care less if they are 14/15, its a "if you're good enough you're old enough" approach. Players in the other 2 categories will likely be loaned out until they are 20 when they have been finished tutoring by senior squad members. If they develop well on loan I might end the loaning early and put them into the first team, steadily etching their way to first choice from a backup player.

Players who don't make the grade/are surplus will be sold by the time they are 20/21. I'm no youth development genius, but in FM13 I bought a 15 year old French AM for 10m and within 2 weeks of arriving he was tearing apart Aston Villa in the Community Shield throughout the whole 90 minutes. IIRC that Messi-esque player is already in line to replace Christian Eriksen as my first choice playmaker at 20 and according to my Assman he has little left for development, the result of regular football from the age of 15 onwards. Have faith in the youngsters, if they are good enough then you have to play them.

The process that I follow with young players is the following:

1) Looking to the opinion of my best JPA staff member opinion. If he has at least 3 stars is good enough. If has 2,5 stars I have to look to his attributes to make a decisions.

2) Identify the best role, start individual training on that role and PPM training based on selected role or his attributes.

3) Between 16 and 18 years the player will be on youth team and put someone tutoring. On FM14 I use the recommend tutor functionality, very useful.

4) At age of 18 if there isn't space to put this player plying of first team I will loan or if I'm playing with a club with B team will play there. Playing on B team will allow to call the player at any moment.

After these process if the player isn't good enough I hope to get a reasonable transfer fee.

Archived