more control over attack/defensive shape to improve ME

This may have been more suited to the tactics section so if it is I apologise in advance. I felt it affects the ME still though however

Anyway, I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible by being less detailed in my point.

we have some really useful and realistic tools in the TC (such as player instructions depending on position) to help us be more specific in our tactics. would it be possible though to add the ability to tell your team how you want them to play during attacking and defending phrases of the game via a new patch? I'll explain...

For example, being almost obsessive over possession/ticki-tacka as I am, I always try to recreate Barca's tactic under pep in pretty much every fm (with my own little touch of course). However here's the problem when creating such a tactic as detailed and "robotic" (so to speak) as Barca's under pep

In attack, once Barca had won the ball back off their opponent, their centre backs would drop deep to allow the midfield more space to come and receive the ball and keep the ball, Barca also played wider whilst in possession to make the pitch big. Effectively creating space vertically and horizontally. In defence, they would play narrow and push up the pitch, allowing the opposition Minimal space to work with which was key to their successful high press.

To my knowledge, it's not possible on fm to have your team replicate this kind of shape. As using the 'drop deeper' instruction will cause your team to drop off in attack AND defence, not allowing you to play a high line+high pressure game. Conversely, using 'push higher up' and/or 'play narrower' would affect your teams shape when you are In possession of the ball as well as trying to win possession back.

So my question is. Is this something that I would have to wait for the next instalment of football manager? Or is there a possibility the ability to instruct your team in defence and attack phases separately could be added to the current instalment?

I think it would solve a lot of complaints about the inability to replicate real life tactics. Would be nice if we could maybe give a set of team instructions for when our team is in defence phase (eg. Play narrower, push higher up) and also have a set of instructions for when our team are attacking (eg. Drop deeper, play wider)

This makes a lot more sense in my head than when I try to type it, so any questions please ask.

Again sorry if this wasn't posted in the correct section

Hi Liam, it is probably best to send this to the Tactics forum first to see if some of the tactical geniuses over there can help you! :)

If the conclusion is that what you want to create is indeed limited by the game then please come back to the bugs forum and make a post linking to this thread. Then we can review it and see if any changes could be made to the TC. Hope that helps.

In attack, once Barca had won the ball back off their opponent, their centre backs would drop deep to allow the midfield more space to come and receive the ball and keep the ball, Barca also played wider whilst in possession to make the pitch big. Effectively creating space vertically and horizontally. In defence, they would play narrow and push up the pitch, allowing the opposition Minimal space to work with which was key to their successful high press.

To my knowledge, it's not possible on fm to have your team replicate this kind of shape. As using the 'drop deeper' instruction will cause your team to drop off in attack AND defence, not allowing you to play a high line+high pressure game. Conversely, using 'push higher up' and/or 'play narrower' would affect your teams shape when you are In possession of the ball as well as trying to win possession back.

So my question is. Is this something that I would have to wait for the next instalment of football manager? Or is there a possibility the ability to instruct your team in defence and attack phases separately could be added to the current instalment?

You can kind of achieve this already.

Use a counter mentality, with the "push higher up" shout. A half-back in the DM slot is also useful for creating space for the midfield when in possession. On the flanks, have your widemen set as inside forwards, but with the "hugs touchline" PPM if possible, also tell them to "play wider" as an individual instruction.

I am sure to be corrected if I am wrong, but one of the main functions of the team's mentality is how quickly your defence drops off one the opposition are in possession.. So an 'Attacking' or 'Overload' mentality would ensure a very high line when defending. The issue here is that there are side effects.

In terms of getting your defence to drop off when you have possession to stretch the pitch... I'm not sure. You could experiment with the 'Drop Much Deeper' option with an 'Attack' mentality, though I'll admit that I don't know how well this would work. You might end up simply playing on the counter.

The Counter strategy will cause your defenders to drop deep when in possession. That coupled with "push higher up" or "push much higher up" will give you the pressing you want.

For width, you would use "play narrower" or leave it alone since the counter strategy is fairly narrow anyway. Couple that with setting your wide players to "stay wider" and/or "run wide with ball", and you have the width you want.

Archived