Help please, I am a tactical nobody

Hi.

I'm new to the forums but not new to FM as much as FM14 is making me look it.

I am going to post some screen shots to see if there is any way you can help me. I'm really stuck and don't know how to sort it. I know there are issues with the ME but surely the game can be played better than I am.

Here is my tactic:

toah.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Followed by my league table:

6uaj.jpg

Followed by my results:

9pwm.jpg

And my squad:

sxw7.jpg

I can't understand whether I am doing numerous things wrong, whether it is just one major problem. Any tactical guru's out there willing to let me tap in to their knowledge :o

The problems I am having, apart from just the above is that my opponents always have more possession than me. I need to change that because the club wants me to play possession football.

I always have less shots that opponents no matter how weak.

I can't even watch extended highlights cause I am sick of watching my team get schooled lol.

How I really want to play is:

Possession football, attacking with the main outlet being the lone striker. I want the pass completion to be reasonably high so short passing is probably the way to go.

I understand that part, the settings in my screenshot are just how I last tried it because nothing else seems to work for me lol.

I have tried playing counter with little success. Last year that was how I played all my tactics. I can't bring myself to play defensive.

So if I play counter, low tempo and push higher up would that work ok? (in theory)

I wouldn't play fluid with this formation, there is no real groups of players in positions that you would scream at you working as one. Very few players play in the same strata. I would lean towards a more rigid philosophy, starting at balanced. The wide forwards and central striker are key. The central striker MUST drop deep which means he has to supply on running players attacking the box. Winger don't attack the box, they are suppliers. Better off with Inside forwards. The DM provides protection for the fullbacks so let them get forward to add another supply to the inside forwards. Your central midfield is fine I would say.

Instructions are the new sliders. People use them way too much without knowing the consequences.

Change to control-normal, ditch all your instructions.

I'd switch the mc-a and the dlp, to give your attacking winger more support. Change the lb to attack the rb to support, same reason.

Instructions are the new sliders. People use them way too much without knowing the consequences.

Change to control-normal, ditch all your instructions.

I'd switch the mc-a and the dlp, to give your attacking winger more support. Change the lb to attack the rb to support, same reason.

You would stick with wingers and apply similar roles down the sides? Can I get your reasoning for this? Why do you think dual attack roles would offer "support" to each other?

The distance between a dlp-s and w-a is bigger than that between an mc-a and w-a, same about the fb-s and w-a.

If I wanted to play 41221 with Liverpool I'd play with IF's and a TQ. 4321 or 352 suits them better though, I'd probably go for 4321 and make Gerrard sign a contract saying he will never make any runs forward.

Assuming he didn't buy anyone i'd play a 41221 like this i think:

..............…tq.………………

Ap-s...................If-a...

........mc-a...dlf-s.........

..............dmc..............

Wb-s..dc.....dc.......wb-a

You want possession football but your instructions for your team includes More Direct Passing and Higher Tempo, thats kind of conflicting with what you want to achieve as your players are looking for the most direct route to goal instead of maintaining possession. Control mentality will help as well.

As for your players roles, you need to simulate it inside your head. You want the centre forward to drop deep, hold the ball up and play through balls to your wingers I assume. But heres the catch, your wingers are not going cut inside all the time, thats what the Inside Forward role is for, a player who receives the ball then drives directly at opponents. If your wingers are not cutting inside and providing passing options for your forward, him dropping deep and holding the ball up would be redundant as opponents will surround him and win the ball back.

Cheers for the responses. Kazm do you get many goals out of a TQ?

This is my favourite formation by a mile so I am determined to make it work lol

Yes I do. Last season when I was a mid table team in terms of team quality my striker scored 23 in 42 giving 15 assists. In general my strikers don't score 30 in 30 but they perform very well usually.

Archived