Stop opposition having so many shots and help my poor defending

Im managing Tottenham and have said i will get them Champions League football.

Only players ive bought are Alex Telles a young Brazilian LB and Leandro Damiao Striker.

Have now played 4 friendlies

Tottenham Under 21's won 4-1

Tigres won 4-1

Anderlecht won 2-1

PSV drew 2-2

In every match the shots from the opposing team has been very high. So many times my defenders seem to go to sleep and stand there like statues, and their attackers get loads of space. Through balls are killing me and the attackers run through and have a 1 on 1 with the keeper. A couple of times an attacker has had a shot, hit the post and my defenders have been hypnotised and an attacker has got the rebound and buried it.

Can anyone give me some tips on where im going wrong. Or should i give the formations abit longer??

I have 3 formations and everyone gives me the same problem

1st pic Sweeper Keeper Attack, 2xFB Auto, 2, CD Defend, BWM Defend, BBM Support, IF Support, W Attack, SS Attack, AF Attack

4231_zpsb8b444c0.png

2nd pic Sweeper Keeper Attack, 2xFB Auto, 2, CD Defend, BWM Defend, BBM Support, AP Attack, IF Support, W Attack, AF Attack

4321_zps5203b24d.png

3rd pic Sweeper Keeper Attack, 2xFB Auto, 2, CD Defend, BWM Defend, WM Support, W Attack, SS Attack, AP Support, AF Attack

41221_zps71b05d93.png

PSV_zps700926d8.png

Tigres_zps537c854c.png

Anderlecht_zps0adb0eee.png

I think the main problem is the lack of a static holder in midfield, you shouldn't use a ball-winning midfielder without someone next to him like a Anchorman, DM (role), DLP or CM/D... the BWM easily runs away from his position to chase tackles leaving too much space behind him.

It should be particularly bad in the 3rd tactic, I suppose the box-to-box may help a bit but without him, playing a single BWM covering for your midfield... is going to expose you pretty badly.

Hi,

My first reaction is that you don't really have a holding midfielder. Your 2 BWM in central midfield will be drawn out of position trying to close down the opposition. This leaves a lot of open space in front of your D-line that your opposition can exploit.

I would suggest changing one of your CM to a CM(Def) or DLP(Def). This should give your midfield some defensive stability.

Good luck!

You do not have the long shots stats shown on your stats screenshot, and you have not added a screenshot showing where they are taking their shots from. I imagine many of their shots are from long range and are not threatening. That may not be the case, but it important to note where the shots are coming from.

As an example a match (link here) I played recently shows how much they dominated but I still got a 1-1 draw. Their shots in general were harmless. The screenshot of their shot locations is near the bottom.

2 problems in your tactic but only because the match engine is broken:

CM with defensive duty and noone between him and defense = many goals in FM14. Move him to DM position in tactic 1 and 2, in tactic 3 move your sup AMC to sup MC.

FBs are broken when defending, best option so far is to have them attack always and with pressure always. makes no sense because you might think they will screw up and you will get counter attacked, but in this match engine it seems to work nicely: attackers won't run full speeed with the ball because of high pressure and will often loose the ball

But that means that if you change players in the positions you have to set up and individual instruction for each player in that position.

For instance i may play Holtby, Eriksen, Sigurdsson as my AMC. There long shots vary between 10-16.

I will then have to add each player to the instructions for that position and set whether to shoot more or less often.

Where before it was a case of ticking each name for long shots and leaving unticked for not.

Thats alot more messing about. Especially if i change my players around alot.

Archived