de Sterrendragers

HorusFM

Just a bit of fun to get back into the swing of things!

9th July 2013

MVV chairman Paul Rinkens offered me a one year deal to make something of his flailing Jupiler league side. MVV Maastricht have been floundering for some time in the second tier of Dutch football, not having seen the Eredivisie since the turn of the millennium. They gave me a budget of

The board quickly stipulated that they have no specific club philosophies which they wanted me to adhere to, just that they feel the fans deserve some success.

Having experienced my first press conference in charge, I subsequently went home and recharged my batteries for meeting the squad tomorrow.

10th July 2013

The first meeting with the players went fantastic. So fantastic that eight of them reacted like they'd been shot when I suggested the possibility of us finishing in the top half of the league this season. It wasn't the reaction I had hoped for.

GOALKEEPERS

1. Bram Castro [30, BEL, GK]

The former Roda keeper is number one with the club, and will continue in that role for this season. He looks a solid and dependable goalkeeper and as such makes me happy to continue with his selection.

Thijs De Boevere [21, BEL, GK]

Thijs is a talented keeper but he desperately needs to work on his reflexes as they will definitely be deemed lacklustre against any tougher opposition. He has endured a rough start to his career, bounding around multiple clubs in Belgium and Holland, but with the right training could push for a spot in the line-up. He'll need to outdo Derix first, though.

24. Yannick Derix [22, NED, GK]

Has all the makings of a first team goalkeeper, and provided he can wait for Castro to move on or under perform will be a move that can see him step up. His handling is a little weak, but he has great communication within the area. He is judged by the coaching staff to be possibly better than Castro, but I don't see it yet.

DEFENDERS

12. Hawbir Moustafa [20, NED, DR/L]

Talented full back at the club who endured an injury packed campaign last year. He will be looking to cement a first team place, but there are slight concerns over his mental capability at overcoming his injury.

3. Sjors Verdellen [31, NED, DR/C]

Sjors is one of the strongest centre backs the club has and will be picked to lead the defence in the coming season. He was however one of the players to become disgruntled with the idea of a mid-table finish so how he adapts will be interesting.

18. Antonio Stankov [22, MKD, DR/C]

A decent young defender with a solid tackle and great aerial prowess. Tipped to feature for the Macedonian national side sooner rather than later, Stankov could become a solid Eredivisie defender in the future.

4. Cor Gillis [24, BEL, DC/WB/R]

Cor was a product of the famed Anderlecht academy but failed to sustain the early promise he showed. Having finally settled in at MVV he will be looking to seal the right back spot for himself and has the physical attributes to make that happen.

Rick Geenen [24, NED, DR/C]

The future of Geenen is unknown yet as he is yet to be offered a formal contract having only arrived on trial thanks to the former manager. He will have pre-season to prove himself, but he might be worth keeping around should he want to play for a different manager.

5. Sjoerd Winkens [30, NED, DL/C]

Sjoerd is a product of MVV's own academy and has played twelve out of his fourteen campaigns in professional football with the club. An injury curtailed last season but he is back and fighting fit and a sure fire first choice left back.

15. Kjell Knops [25, NED, DL/C]

Kjell is a solid defender who has been integral to the defence in the last two seasons. I fully expect this to continue and have earmarked him as a potential for captain due to his leadership skills.

2. Nick Kuipers [20, NED, DL/C]

There is a major belief that Kuipers will become a leading left back. I am yet to be convinced, but his technical skill points to such a thing happening. Not so sure of himself mentally though.

MIDFIELDERS

6. Nathan Rutjes [29, NED, DC/DM/MC]

This guy can play pretty much anywhere across the field except up front and in the net. He is most comfortable in the centre of midfield and in charge, where it is likely he will find himself this season. The other choice for captain.

16. Koen Daerden [31, BEL, WBL/ML/MC]

Koen is a former Belgian national team player and still has all of the skills which saw him make that happen. He is capable of playing all up the left hand side and looks best utilised in that area. A valuable player to have and the potential of a midfield between him and Rutjes is delicious.

Alper Kartal [19, BEL, DM/MC] listed for loan transfer out

Young and inexperienced, Alper needs to find some time on loan somewhere to make his ability known to either me or potential future suitors.

Maic Sema [24, SWE, AMR/C] on-loan from Haugesund

Maic is currently on loan from Haugesund in his native Sweden, though the full nature of his loan hasn't been disclosed to me yet. He is a talented and fiery little winger who I will be happy to give a try this year.

25. Sven Braken [20, NED, ML/C/AML/C]

Having made twenty five appearances last year, Sven has emerged as a fan favourite and his talent matches. His size is evident in his physical attributes however his technical ability can prove to be a match winner. He can dribble like a king and can put in a decent cross.

7. Tom Van Hyfte [27, BEL, AML/C]

A strong willed midfielder who was voted fans favourite two out of his four years with his club. He continues to excel and his eleven goals last term were crucial to the clubs league finish. He will need to continue to be pivotal, though he is also attracting attention.

Adnan Secerovic [21, BIH, MC/AMC] on-loan from Roda JC

Currently on loan from Roda JC, Adnan has a lot to prove to me as I am not entirely of the belief that he would even have a future with us if he played for us, let alone with Roda. Will be used sparingly I think.

19. Michael La Rosa [22, BEL, AMR/L]

Michael enjoyed two great first seasons in his younger years with the club, but now appears to have gone off the boil. Only nine appearances were mustered, and he could be looking for a new lease of life pretty soon. A lack of right wingers could earn him action, however.

STRIKERS

9. Mark Veldmate [28, NED, AML/C/ST]

A free transfer from Sparta last year, he did very well in his first season, scoring nine goals from three different positions. It is hard to tell where he may be utilised this season, but it is looking more likely to be up front.

14. Bryan Smeets [20, NED, MC/AMC/ST]

Smeets is very good. Not much more can be said other than that, and considering he came through the academy, MVV and myself would be stupid for letting him go, ever. Eight first team goals last season from an attacking midfield position has led me to believe he has the boots for goalscoring. At 20 years of age, a year up front can do him no harm.

10. Danny Schreurs [25, NED, AML/ST]

Danny bagged himself a healthy ten goals in just twenty matches last season and while I'd love him to recreate that, he might see himself out on the left on a few occasions. That isn't set in stone yet, however.

Jason Bola [18, COD, ST]

The only recognised out and out striker in the squad. The young Congo international will look to sneak a few appearances in this season after his free transfer from Standard Liege, and he could see himself make a few as the only player to be listed as just a striker.

OVERALL

The squad seems fully equipped in most areas, though a few loanees could bolster the ranks and provide cover without ever going over the budget or causing financial concern. No-one seems to have made it on to my transfer out list, with Alper Kartal only to be sent out on-loan as a training year. I may also raid the footballing equivalent of a flea market for any bargain possible to increase the chances of us doing well this season.

Thank you kind sir. I hope to impress you all.

11thJuly 2013

The first training session went well. Thijs De Boevere broke his finger after awkwardly catching a ball, leaving him on the table for between seven weeks and two months. Everyone else emerged unscathed and are now being prepped for the upcoming friendly against Troyes.

15th July 2013

MVV FAIL TO OVERCOME SHORTHANDED ESTAC TROYES

Friendly, Attendance: 2419

MVV Maastricht 1 – 2 ESTAC Troyes

[Cem Unal 81; Marcos 26, Sebastien Grax 63]

Troyes battled their way to a pre-season victory despite being reduced to ten men just ten minutes into the match. Benjamin Psaume saw red for a vicious tackle, but Troyes fought well and took the lead when Marcos put them ahead with a wonderfully placed shot.

Sebastien Grax doubled Troyes' advantage in the second half with a nice effort from just outside the area.

It had been left to Belgium U19 captain Cem Unal to bring us back into the game, but by this point there had been no real ambition to provide me with a reason to view them favourably for the start of the season. Unal's goal was well taken, but with a man advantage we should have done more for the visiting fans.

I learnt on the way home that our midfield maestro Koen Daerden would be out for up to six weeks with a pulled hamstring, and that our physio Peter Brune had been signed by Feyenoord to be physio for their U19's.

Not a good day in all truth.

Cheers Mark, looking for others to return to the fold too!

19th July 2013

There is a growing issue with Tom Van Hyfte. Just last week he iterated the desire to potentially seek a move to Roda JC after their manager spoke openly about admiring his talent. I didn't mind that, I'm not that kind of manager. Until Van Hyfte expressed the desire to speak with them. I said no, and today, he sought a meeting with his meddling agent to discuss his future. He wanted a new contract, and I declined, but I told him that he would need to prove to me on the pitch that he deserves one. This of course means Van Hyfte will be performing above standards to make a point, however, we still won't be able to afford the renewal in winter time. It was pleasing to win the battle for now though. His agent soon scampered.

21st July 2013

POOR FINISHING COSTS MVV AS HANNOVER RUN RIOT

Friendly, Attendance 8362

MVV Maastricht 2 - 5 Hannover 96

[Mark Veldmate 44, 52; Jan Schlaudraff 22, Leonardo Bittencourt 23, Szabolcs Huszti 24, Salif Sane 41, Kevin Krottke 85]

I actually couldn't believe the scoreline. Apparently a review of the match afterwards signalled that we had partaken in an even match. That wasn't even remotely true.

Jan Schlaudraff's header 22 minutes in was well placed, well timed and well easy. Our defenders couldn't control the former Bayern man, and when his pass opened our defence one minute later, Bittencourt duly stepped up to smash home the second. It was like a nightmare of defending. Especially when after kickoff Huszti hoofed in from forty yards to make us look like Sunday leaguers. We got a slight break but Salif Sane popped up four minutes before half time to make me sink my head into my chest. I know Hannover are a better side than we are, but that doesn't mean can't remember how to tackle or kick a ball.

Veldmate snatched one back to at least give me something to chew on, but even then it was scrappy and unclean. I took the whole first team off at half time (except Veldmate) and it seemed to work. He made me sit up and dream of a comeback of all comebacks when he struck from twenty five yards to make the fans cheer, but there was no comeback and no other cheer for us. Even their youngster Krottke could find his way past our defence to snatch a fifth with a well taken shot in the six yard box. He even managed to strike the post in the final minute.

There was nothing to take from this.

We did however make money when I learned that Michael La Rosa had agreed a deal to join FC Ufa in the Russian First Division. Quite how he popped up on their radar and why he agreed to move is beyond me. We took £26,000 up front and another £60,000 to be paid over the next 18 months. It's even more daunting to find out that this transfer broke the record for fee received.

24th July 2013

We actually brought a player in. It wasn't exactly the transfer everyone was hoping for, but his arrival is only to provide cover for the now departed La Rosa.

Michael Coulson [25, ENG, AMR/L/C/ST] on-loan from York City (end June 2014)

The fans actually got quite excited to see an Englishman turn up and were quite excited by the prospect of Coulson. He isn't a world beater, I know that. But neither is this team. He could do well for us, although his best position is yet to be determined, he can find the back of the net when needed.

I am ready to see him perform and will perhaps involve him in the next friendly we play should he look fit.

28th July 2013

DE STERRENDRAGERS THANK UNAL AS THEY BEAT ARC

Friendly, Attendance 438

sv ARC 1 - 2 MVV Maastricht

[Jeroen Merk 59; Adnan Secerovic 3, Cem Unal 37]

It absolutely lampooned it down but somehow we kept our composure on a park field. That's how it looked anyway.

The trip seemed pointless, and sv ARC's manager told me that nine of his players couldn't turn up thanks to work commitments. They still managed to bring fifteen players, and for a while they really did outplay us.

It was pleasing to see Adnan Secerovic open the scoring just a couple of minutes in with a decent solo effort that he finished from outside the area. His whole performance in the first half really got me thinking. And he wasn't the only one. Cem Unal put a blinding shift in to once again show why he is Belgium U19 captain. He suffered from a vicious tackle half hour in, but recovered to beat the same defender with a point blank header and to double our lead. They all came off in the second half, and while the second set of players succumbed to a weak freekick that drifted over all of them and onto the head of Merk to pull one back, we never looked like dropping another goal. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't efficient. But it was solid.

It was just nice to get a win on the board, and some of the players are finally starting to up their game. We suffered no injuries and even got a sneak peak of Coulson ten minutes from the end, though he must have had maybe three touches until the final whistle. I'm liking Cem Unal very much.

That's because there isn't one, Spav! Salk, they're more a set of guidelines than rules. ;)

31st July 2013

Danny Schreurs made the first steps to recovery from his torn knee ligaments injury sustained six months ago. He has returned to light training and is expected to make a full return in four weeks. It might be a month and a half before he makes a first team comeback. We then travelled to Belgium to play Racing Wavre.

MVV STROLL TO SUCCESS ADNAN STYLE

Friendly, Attendance 535

Racing Jet Wavre 0 - 4 MVV Maastricht

[Nathan Rutjes pen3, Kristof Conings 39, Mark Veldmate 47, Rick Geenen 51]

It was a rout we needed, a rout we wanted and a rout we deserved.

There generally wasn't much that Wavre could offer up against us, but we said that against ARC and they made it seem difficult. So much so that we mustered a total of 29 shots on goal, fifteen of those being on target. Wavre's keeper, Marcello Denis, had what could be considered a storming game. Three minutes in though they gifted us a penalty after a foul on Veldmate, and captain Nathan Rutjes stepped up to squeeze it past Denis. we knocked for another thirty minutes after before eventually young debutant Kristof Conings found the back of the net with a thirty yard deflected effort. It was great to see him do well. Adnan Secerovic was dominating in midfield and making me take notice of his performances so far. He set up the third with a looping cross that found Veldmate on the head just after half time. And he followed that up with a superb corner that found still unsigned defender Rick Geenen square on the head for number four.

We looked a much better unit in this match and fully deserved to take the victory home with us. It gave us much needed confidence in ourselves.

My youngsters are beginning to look every part our future and I think they will all need to find some playing time this season. Even Alper Kartal put in a decent shift despite knowing almost 100% that he doesn't particularly have a future here.

• 2 weeks later...

3rd August 2013

I sent my assistant to take care of things as I sent a very young team to play Eupen, and he led them to a 3-0 victory. Goals came from Jason Bola [54], Cem Unal [60] and Michael Coulson [83]. The result was welcome news as we seek to prepare ourselves for the first league game of the season, the trip to Volendam now firmly in our sights.

4th August 2013

And there go the preparations. Bryan Smeets came to me wanting to discuss his future. He firmly believes it doesn't lie here, and when I outlined plans for the next two years, he said he wasn't prepared to wait. He then drew other players into the argument. Now half the team is disillusioned. I did however pick the right person as captain, Koen Daerden being my choice. They WERE happy with that choice.

6th August 2013

Today MVV broke their transfer budget as I finally secured the signing of Peter Pollhuber from Admira Wacker and this will please the fans who were worried over the lack of any incomings. Tim de Cler followed him in just five hours later.

Peter Pollhuber [28, DC, AUS] £21,000 from Admira Wacker

The six foot seven inch defender will be pivotal for us as I seek to set us up as a real aerial threat from set pieces. The Austrian is in great physical condition and while he may not start for a few games while we get him back to fitness, he will step up and eventually, and hopefully, become a mainstay for us.

Tim de Cler [34, D/WBL, NED] free from AEK Larnakas

A real experience coup for us is Tim. He is looking to take his coaching licences while here, and I would love to add him to the staff later in his career. For now, he will feature at left back as we seek to perform in the league this season. He joins for free after his AEK Larnakas contract expired last season.

9th August 2013

MVV SAVED BY CEM AND MARIA

Jupiler League, Attendance 3656

FC Volendam 2 - 2 MVV Maastricht

[Damien Menzo 24, 84; Sjors Verdellen 79, Cem Unal 90+5]

My heart was in my mouth as a late goal from Cem Unal saved our blushes on a rough opening afternoon in Jupiler League.

The home side were on much better form than we were, and having not conceded a goal all pre-season, they looked every bit ready for the coming season. Damien Menzo took advantage of slack defending early on to slide home from a weak cross, and from there we struggled to make any inroads ourselves. The second half, however, was all us.

Despite losing two players to injury, we pressed and mounted the pressure with a boat load of possession. We couldn't find the target though, and when Menzo hit the post with a free-kick, we thought our luck would be out. I made changes, including bringing on Cem Unal for his debut, to play alongside fellow youth player Gianluca Maria up front. The trick worked when Secerovic found Maria in the box, his header landing at Verdellen's feet, before he lashed it home. Menzo found acres of space minutes later to restore the lead, but we weren't quite done.

Maria and Unal combined to let the young Belgian race away on goal before firing an absolute screamer past Pistoor in the Volendam goal.

And relax.

15th August 2013

It was a day to remember for Antonio Stankov as he made his international debut for Macedonia against Bosnia, starting at right back and last the whole match. He put in a super shift holding off Edin Dzeko and, with Goran Pandev leading the line, worked his way to a 1-0 win.

16th August 2013

WINKENS LEADS LINE AS DORDRECHT FALL

Jupiler League, Attendance 5856

MVV Maastricht 3 – 0 FC Dordrecht

[Tom Van Hyfte 45+3, Ilias Haddad OG 65, Mark Veldmate 90+3]

A rapturous attacking performance saw us run out winners on a warm night in Maastricht, though Player of the Match Sjoerd Winkens put in a determined shift at the back.

Cem Unal was the only change for the side, with Coulson dropping to the bench, and he showed his talents with some early flashes of skill with a shot well saved by Warner Hahn. Choices were few and far between but with some persistent set piece play from corners, we took the lead. A well placed corner found Winkens and Veldmate before it landed at Van Hyfte who slashed it home before clashing with Marvin Peersman for an alleged foul.

Ilias Haddad ended his game with a red face when Unal put a bending cross in, his header ballooning over Hahn’s head and doubling the lead. A spell of yellow cards dampened a frantic second half, though a Dordrecht comeback never looked likely as their failure to create a chance hampered them. Veldmate struck late on from yet another corner to finish them off, and we left the field to a massive cheer and a massive victory. The amount of chances we created was breath-taking, and we looked extremely good up top but we can’t over indulge on this as Dordrecht is one of the few sides believed to be worse than us.

Bram Castro; Cor Gillis, Antonio Stankov, Sjors Verdellen, Sjoerd Winkens; Nathan Rutjes, Adnan Secerovic, Bryan Smeets, Tom Van Hyfte; Mark Veldmate, Cem Unal

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Sparta          |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 4     | +3    | 6     | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | FC Emmen        |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 6     | 
[color=#008000]| 3rd   |       | MVV             |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 4     | [/color]
| 4th   |       | Willem II       |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | De Graafschap   |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 4     | 

23rd August 2013

WINKENS SAVES MAASTRICHT AGAIN

Jupiler League, Attendance 3184

FC Emmen 1 – 1 MVV Maastricht

[sander Rozema pen85; Sjoerd Winkens 88]

A late flurry of activity in a game otherwise devoid of any real moments of skill saw both sides share the spoils, but it could have been a different story.

Antonio Stankov picked up an injury before the game and had to be replaced by Tim de Cler for his debut. Ten minutes later and the veteran left back was being stretchered off. It was a sorry sight, though the extent of his injury isn’t yet known. Kjell Knops replaced him.

The first half was a tiring episode of weak play from both sides, both of whom looked too scared to really make a go of it. Cem Unal had a great chance to put the side ahead when he raced away from the chasing defenders, but his finish was just short of quality and it clanged back off the post, the youngster unable to react to finish it a second time. Half time came and went without anyone really noticing that the match had gone off for fifteen minutes.

I made three changes as we went in search of victory, with the returning Koen Daerden and Michael Coulson coming on. They had no real effect on the game and then disaster struck. Cor Gillis pulled down Adnan Barakat in the area to gift the home side a penalty, and Rozema finished with aplomb. I half expected at that point for our heads to drop and the game to be over, but Van Hyfte had other ideas when he curled a peach of a corner onto Winkens, who headed it into the back of the net with some force.

Winkens then popped up in the last minute to block on the line and we thankfully took another point from our journey on the road. Unbeaten in three ain’t too bad.

Bram Castro; Cor Gillis, Tim de Cler [Kjell Knops 11], Sjors Verdellen, Sjoerd Winkens; Nathan Rutjes, Adnan Secerovic [Koen Daerden 60], Bryan Smeets, Tom Van Hyfte; Mark Veldmate, Cem Unal [Michael Coulson 60]

| Pos   | Inf   | Team            |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 9th   |       | VVV             |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 5     | +1    | 6     | 
| 10th  |       | Helmond Sport   |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 6     | 
[color=#008000][b]| 11th  |       | MVV             |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 6     | 3     | +3    | 5     | [/b][/color]
| 12th  |       | FC Eindhoven    |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 4     | 0     | 4     | 
| 13th  |       | Volendam        |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 5     | -1    | 4     | 

Archived