Ambitious Player wants to leave a top club?

Okay, so playing as Arsenal (Arsene quit, eventually landing up at Napoli), I signed up Benteke from Villa and after a few years, turned Arsenal into a 5 star (reputation) club. I get an offer for PSG from him and I see the offer, reject it since it was just more than I paid for him two years ago, and thought that was that. I paid about 23 million pounds, and they're offering 25? No deal.

Next minute, I get a news item saying that he is unhappy that he didn't get to talk to PSG, and during this conversation, I get the option that he can fulfil his ambitions here. I choose that and his response is that he doubts that I can fulfil his ambitions here, and would rather go to PSG. Okay. This is after I've won the champions league twice and premiership twice with him in the squad. I've already qualified for the knockout stages for the current season's CL, and top of the ladder in PL, as favourites to win the league.

I just don't get it. The only club better than mine right now is Barcelona. Worldwide reputation. 5 stars. And he wants to leave to a club with continental reputation and 4.5 stars? I only have 2 senior forwards (one hot prospect on loan, rest in U21), so I can't have an unset player. My captain and vice-captain talk to him with no avail. I'm just confused by all of this.

It could be argued that ambition can mean different things for different players. Perhaps he wants to go to PSG to become their centerpiece and bring them Champions League glory. Some players may just feel they are ready to move for a new challenge.

Unfortunately the game does not yet go deep enough into why players make the decisions they do meaning we can sometimes be left scratching our heads.

Benteke is a tricky character. I think in addition to his high level of ambition he has high controversy and low loyalty. I managed to keep him at Villa using a few loopholes. (ie when he became unhappy I continued to play him and when he had a poor game I fined him. This then substituted his original unhappiness which allowed me again to talk to him and clear up the new unhappiness).

Your example is perhaps a bit strange. When I eventually made Villa a Worldwide club he stopped his moaning for good. However one could argue that he might be on the lookout for higher wages or just want to play in a different league.

Archived