Predictable goals

This isn't a feedback issue, nor a tactic issue, nor am i complaining... Just an observation.

Has anyone noticed how predictable some goals can be?

for example:

- You score 2 goals, suddenly a highlight appears. The opposition scores.

- Your player gets a red card, next highlight they score.

- You're ahead by a large margin, a highlight appears, they have a corner... they score.

These are all just vague examples of things i've noticed, it seems whenever a certain highlight appears you just know the opposition is about to score, sometimes i'd prefer if they didn't pass it around my defense for 5 minuets delaying the inevitable goal and just score from 30 yards and put me out my misery.

Has anyone noticed this? perhaps you have a story? Post below, interested in reading your thoughts.

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes you can just feel a goal. Your players suddenly back off and refuse to tackle, they have a guy unmarked meandering about.

The worst ones are "30 seconds of stoppage time to go and you've got a goal kick", because you know that ball is coming straight back at you.

See if this rings a bell.

Highlight starts. Opposition play ball forwards, defender nods it back to other team. Defenders then stand and look at the attacker for a bit without doing anything. Attacker plays ball wide, full back should easily intercept but doesn't. Winger goes down line and walks past the full back who does nothing. Cross comes in and keeper catches it, but plays the ball straight out to the attacker. He walks past your entire defense who do nothing and shoots, the ball rebounds off the keeper to your defender who hits the ball upfront. Your attacker should easily get to the ball first but doesn't and the opposition defender plays it forward. Your center back should get the ball first but doesn't and the attacker plays it out wide. The winger drifts down the line as the full back simply watches in awe. The cross is headed down by the defender straight to the attacker who hits a shot that comes back off the post. All your defenders should get to the ball first but don't. Another shot comes in that the keeper parries. Your defenders should easily get to the ball but don't and the attacker scores.

Watching THAT highlight is even more boring and convoluted than this post, because you KNOW they are going to score.

Or.

Losing by more than two goals at half time. Give the team the hairdryer treatment and everyone is fired up. Concede within two minutes of the restart.

Eesh. Never get aggressive at half-time. Never. Assertively unhappy, yes. Passionately encouraging to star players, definitely. Aggressive at half-time when you're losing is just asking for a nervy start to the second half.

It can be OK with certain personalities, though, I suppose... but only if you go encouraging after. Hairdryer and stripper, I guess (the football equivalent of carrot and stick, obviously). I'd usually rather not risk it.

Eesh. Never get aggressive at half-time. Never. Assertively unhappy, yes. Passionately encouraging to star players, definitely. Aggressive at half-time when you're losing is just asking for a nervy start to the second half.

It can be OK with certain personalities, though, I suppose... but only if you go encouraging after. Hairdryer and stripper, I guess (the football equivalent of carrot and stick, obviously). I'd usually rather not risk it.

I've actually had good results with the aggressive half-time talk. A lot of times it gets me a quick goal to start the second half.

It needs to be used wisely of course, but if I'm losing at half to an inferior opponent, it's the obvious choice.

Every time a highlight starts that you think you can predict, pause the game and write down on a bit of paper what you think is going to happen.

Note: for this to work properly you actually have to pause immediately and write it down, not wait for the highlight to play out before deciding.

Every time a highlight starts that you think you can predict, pause the game and write down on a bit of paper what you think is going to happen.

Note: for this to work properly you actually have to pause immediately and write it down, not wait for the highlight to play out before deciding.

And the results will be clear: load of tosh. The only way of predicting a goal is to look out for the miniscule pause in the graphics just before a player shoots - see that and a goal is definitely coming.

Does nobody feel the same about their own team? Knowing they will score when a highlight starts? I can never predict what will happen from a given highlight (I watch in comprehensive,so mostly it is not a goal), but I get a good feel for the flow of the game. I can be fairly confident that my team will score soon given the way they are playing, or the way they are putting pressure on the opposition. Similarly I can feel when the game has swung against me and I the opposition are likely to score. Although this is when as a manager you make changes to reverse the flow of the game, right?

The only thing I do hate is goddam free kicks crossed to a player at the nearpost. This is how I concede a good portion of my goals.

The score then concede is something that i have found does happen quite often and i do get extremely frustrated by that but i wouldn't consider any of the game to be predictable though i do fear conceding goals when i have a corner against me and have been dominant. but again, it's not predictable and if it is even an issue it's only a minor one (apart from the well known near post issue)

The score then concede is something that i have found does happen quite often

Unless I'm already using that strategy, I find that immediately changing to 'counter' or 'defensive' for about 15 mins after I score helps with conceding quick goals. The opposition will attack more after going a goal down (again, depending on opposition, but in general terms), so this can help soak up the pressure for a while before going back on the attack again.

Archived