Timo Werner refusing a contract. No idea why.

I signed him for Manchester United and started playing him regularly when he was 19. He was very good in the 1st season, so I offered him a new 3 yr deal on circa 40k.

At the end of that season Dortmund offered 25m for him. I refused and immediately his agent wanted a new contract for him because of Dortmunds interest. I said prove to me on the pitch and the following day he requests a transfer. I refuse and ever since then he has had a "slight concern" which says "refused a transfer request".

When I try to offer him a new contract he says "he is not currently interested in negotiating a new contract". And when I go to private chat he says "he is waiting to see if I fulfil my promise to him". I've never promised him anything, never had a single prompt, nothing.

So after another good season throughout which he has constantly said the above, I warned him I'd place him on the transfer list if he didn't sign a new contract. He has now promised he will sign a new contract. Great I thought, getting somewhere here. But he still isn't interested and now just has the slight concern about me refusing to put him on the transfer list.

This is the final year of his contract and I'm getting 40m+ offers for him. So as one last attempt I asked him to leave his agent, that at his age he should concentrate on his football. He agreed and is now without an agent and hasn't had one for over 2 months. It still says he has promised to sign a new contract, but it also says he has the slight concern about not being transfer listed etc. He still will not sign.

None of this makes sense. He is 1st choice striker, I've been trying to get him to sign a new contract for the last 2 years, he has promised to sign, has left his agent but still has this slight concern ( which is what I'm thinking is causing it ).

Do I really have to play for another 10hrs until I get to January and hope he signs? Is it a bug? Or do I just take the 40m and stick with the injury prone Lewendowski and the useless Rooney? Frustrated hrruumph

I think this has been in the game for a while. I never use the "prove it on the pitch" option because similar things have happened to me.

I noticed an exploit where you can replace his unhappiness with another one and then sort the new one out. Would certainly be justified in your case. If he has a bad game (hell, play him at fullback and exploit the full back bug) fine him harshly. When he wants to talk to you tell him whatever you need to sort it out. Either that he deserved it or that you won't do it again. I think it will remove the contract issue.

If a player ask for a new contract do yourself a favor and tell him 'you still have time..' It will work with most players that aren't highly ambitious, confrontational, outspoken or volatile.

Archived