3-5-2 striker issues

I'm using either a 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 in my second season with Southampton in the PL. Usually I opt for a single striker formation, and although I have a decent selection of strikers (Lambert, Osvaldo, Mitrovic, Borini) I'm struggling to make it work up top with two strikers. What roles/instructions do you guys think work best for a two man strike partnership?

I play with "control" and "fluid" settings, with these instructions:

- retain possession

- play out from the back

- hassle opponents

- look for overlap

Here's the individual settings...

3-4-1-2:

------------------------ SK (S) ---------------------------

----------- CD (D) ----- BPD (D) ----- CD (D) ----------

-- CWB (A) ----------------------------------- WB (A)---

----------------BWM (D) ------ DLP (S) -----------------

------------------------ AP (S) ---------------------------

---------------- ???? ---------- ???? ---------------------

Or...

3-5-2:

------------------------ SK (S) ---------------------------

----------- CD (D) ----- BPD (D) ----- CD (D) ----------

-- CWB (A) ------------- Regista------------- WB (A)---

----------------BWM (D) ------ AP (A) ------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

---------------- ???? ---------- ???? ---------------------

The intention is to have the full backs getting down the wings and crossing the ball, as well as getting the ball coming through the middle via our AP. What tends to be happening when the WBs don't beat their man is they cut back inside and play it backward and the midfield three knock it about from side to side trying to find an opening for the through ball.

If you're going to have two men up front then you are best having one who can try and get beyond the defenders such as an advanced forward or a poacher and then you want your other striker to be someone who can drop off and link the midfield to the attack, so preferably someone in a support role. I would suggest either a deep lying forward, false nine or a complete forward. You could also try a trequartista as, even though he isn't in a support role, he drops deep and links play.

Additionally, it could be worth having a target man set up with a support role if you are wanting to make use of crosses from your wing backs.

If you want to see more through balls being played, as well as playing a possession game, use the pass into space instruction coupled with your retain possession instruction as this increases how many through balls you make.

My suggestion is having a strong target man (support), in my 3-5-2 he was both main goal scorer (1 goal per game) and also played a huge part in the build-up of the play.

Have your wing backs cross more often and float crosses, which seems to be a very potent weapon at the moment.

Exploit flanks (or a specific side if you have a very good player there) and hit early crosses instructions might be useful too.

The 3-5-2 flat is my favorite formation so far in FM14. I have my strikers roles as AF and either a TM(s) or TQ as the guy to link up play. I have the settings as fluid/control.

Team instructions are

-Pass into space

-Play out of Defense

-hassle opponent

-stay on feet

-push higher up

-play wider

I have the formation set up as

--------------------G-----------------------

----------CD©----LD(d)----CD©-------

DW----BBM-----DLP(d)----CM(a)-----DW

-----------TM(s)---------AF---------------

I have also added "get forward" instructions to the BBM and the CM. I have found that for me having the outside CD's set to cover keeps them middle tighter on D and lets my DW's track back and protect the flanks.

My strikers are my primary goal scorers and I am currently tweaking a Counter version for playing away games against teams that are better then mine.

Archived