Making Italy's true giant, great once again

nava

Hello and welcome to my FM 2014 career. After holding of buying it for a couple of weeks I've now been messing around with the new game for the last week or so, and now feel I've got to grips with all the new features, I also played very little of 13 as I just couldn't get into it and even ended up going back to 12. Anyway back to the main point of this thread.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

I've finally finished reading John Foot's 'Calcio' and once again I found myself enthralled by the tragedy of the great Torino team of the late 1940's. A team who not only won everything put in front of them but did it in style as well. They still hold many records in Italian football and it must make you wonder how much more they could of won and achieved if the team hadn't been ripped apart on the superga hill. Players such as Valentino Mazzola, Ezio Loik and Guglielmo Gabetto were amongst the stars of the great team that also dominated the lineup of the national team as well.

Torino have never been able to recover and although they did win the title in 1976 they have never returned to the top for a period of dominance and have spent their time since jumping between serie A and B.

Aims

Win Serie A.

To claim the 1st star (3 more titles needed to add to the 7 already won).

Win the Champions league.

Manage the National Team and pick a starting 11 from my Torino side.

To produce a young Attacking midfielder who will become the clubs all-time leading appearance holder and record goalscorer.

The 1st 3 aims are pretty simple and need no explanation the last 2 are linked to the great side. They had 10 of the 11 starters for an Italy match against Hungary, It would of been 11 if the coach at the time hadn't dropped the keeper Valerio Bacigalupo in favour of the Juventus goalkeeper.

The last aim is to try and produce a star for my team that would be compared to the great Valentino Mazzola. He was an attacking midfielder who was the driving force behind the team and his record of 118 goals in just 204 games shows how good he was.

FabioMangelli_zpse17e1acf.jpg

Rather than be myself which I usually am. I've decided to start the game as a local Turin lad who played at a semi-professional club.

If I manage to complete all my aims in this save then I'll have to decide whether or not I will remain with Torino but being a local lad and a fan of the club its hard to ever see that happening!

Looking forward to this. Torino are a great club but Pro Vercelli are Italys real struggling giants.

Cheers there a few fallen giants in Italy you could even add Casale to that list.

I hope that you manage your goals. My Santarcangelo FM12 thread was also inspired by 'Calcio' and it has been my favourite ever career.

That career Diesler was awseome still remember the heartbreak of Doria leaving and the crash dumps! Calcio is probably the best football book I've read to date. Looking at 'a season with Verona' as my next one.

Italy really is FM heaven' date=' so I'm looking forward to this too. Hope there are no tax bugs this year, as that was horrendous in FM13.[/quote']

Thanks I absolutely love Italy on FM had so many good saves with Parma over the years but this time actually wanted an aim in my career rather than just trying to win the league and cups.

Juniorcoaching_zps02e721fa.jpg

youthfacilities_zpse5b7f53b.jpg

13ad8521-9fc1-4dda-9381-10635781079b_zps0fb4374a.jpg

I made 3 requests to the board as soon as I got the job. The 1st two requests were important if I am to have any chance of producing my own players in the long term so I'm delighed to get them. The increased wage budget was just a bit of a bonus really and I didn't have to push the board to grant any of them. Looks like me and the president are gonna get along just fine!

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

August 2013 Review

Aug2013_zpsb18d8b1f.jpg

We started our season of with an easy win in the cup against Carpi, in truth it was really just an extension of pre-season it was that easy. We were unlucky against Fiorentina, we were 2-0 down early on before we got our acts together to make it 2-2, but unfortunately Mario Gomez popped up with a late winner for them.

After the 1st couple of games I'm fairly happy with the balance of my squad and can't see us having problems scoring goals but we need to make sure that were solid at the back.

Transfer wise I only brought in a couple of players, left back Luca Antonelli came in for £1.6 million from Genoa and center midfielder Johnathon Dos Santos came in on a season long loan from Barcelona with a view to buy for £1.8 million if he's any good and more importantly I can afford it! Out goings were mainly young players who need playing time and Kamil Glik on a season long loan to Parma after I stripped him of the captaincy. I also terminated 8 loans that were already in place when I got the job as they weren't upto much.

I'm also left in the unusual position of having a number of players banned long term for their parts in the match fixing scandal which is a pain as theres not much I can do and I'm paying them big money.

Unlucky against Fiorentina, gave em a good game!

Yeh we were pretty unlucky in that game, but to be fair we are a mile away from Fiorentina in terms of quality so I suppose it showed we're capable of going toe to toe with the better teams In the league. Ciro Immobile is gonna be the key to our season I think.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

September 2013 review

Sept2013_zps8d2a78b7.jpg

A mixed month in terms of results and performances. We threw away the win against Napoli after being 3-1 up with 10 minutes to play but we responded well by coming from behind to beat Livorno. Up next was league leaders Parma at home, but we missed a bag full of chances and they scored two quickfire goals at the start of the 2nd half before we bagged a late consolation goal. We were then took apart by Sampdoria in a terrible 1st half before we restored some pride with an easy win against Chievo. We finished the month in 13th place in the table.

We seem incapable of keeping a clean sheet at the moment with the exception of a poor Chievo side and Serie B Carpi. I think I know where I will be concentrating my scouting on from now till January.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

October 2013 review

Oct2013_zps83566333.jpg

Another month of mixed results. The defeat against Roma was as one sided as a game could get so the less said about the game the better! Then 2 excellent results and more importantly clean sheets against Inter and Bologna. And when I think we may have found out how to defend we go and ship 4 against a very average Cagliari team.

Omar El Kaddouri is now starting to run the show for my team with 4 goals and 4 assists so far in just 11 games, shame he is only on loan as he looks like the kind of player I could build a team around.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

November 2013 review

Nov2013_zps3eb2733c.jpg

We only played 3 games this month because of internationals but it was probably my best month so far. Udinese were 4th at the time of the game and we put up a very good performance and didn't let them taking the lead affect us. Sassuolo may as well start planning for Serie B now as they have ammassed the grand total of 3 points from 12 games so we had to win, and we did with ease. Catania were 3rd going into this so it was a very good victory and even better as we went 1-0 down early on but we kept going and snatched the 3 points in the 91st minute through right back Danilo D'Ambrosio.

We finished the month in 9th place as things seem to be clicking into place now. Ciro Immobile has 8 goals so far and is proving to be not just a great goalscorer but a scorer of great goals with 3 absolute stunners so far.

Excellent' date=' especially your home form.[/quote']

Yep I think its vital that we make the Olimpico a fortress as its gonna be the key to our season

Calcio is a great and a real tragedy with what happened to Grande Torino, good luck getting them that star!

Thanks I think it will take a few years though.

Looks like things are coming together. Liking your aims for the save, could be a long haul to get 11 players in the national team, best of luck achieving them!

Thanks I think that will definitley be the hardest one to achieve!

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

December 2013 review

Dec2013_zps149974aa.jpg

An absolute great month for us, we easily beat Genoa in the league before we lost in the cup although I did make 4 changes from the previous game. We bounced back in the league with a spanking of relegation threatened Verona. Next up was a trip to Lazio who are having a poor season by all accounts and we played them off the park. The big game of the month was the clash between the two form teams in the league, us who had won 5 on the bounce up against league leaders and the only team on better form Milan who had won 6 in succession. We started where we had left off against Lazio and scored two early goals before Milan replied in the 20th minute but we held on in a game that produced very little in terms of chances after the blistering start.

We finish 2013 in 3rd place in the league after a great run of form through November and December. We've managed to shore up the defense and our front 4 are all scoring goals so things are looking good at the moment. My only concern is that I'm only using 14/15 players so if injuries happen or tiredness creeps in then I might be in trouble. Hopefully I can pick up another signing or 2 in January but their may have to be a bit off wheeling and dealing.

Cracking wins over Lazio and Milan

Yep especially the Milan one as they were in great form.

Looking really good at the moment, mate.

Excellent December and El Kaddouri seems to be a hell of a player, for you.

I had him in the ACM position as an advanced playmaker but we kept losing and he wasn't producing much so I moved him into the striker position as a DLF and he's been magnificent ever since

great stuff.

Cheers mate!

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

January 2014 review

Jan2014_zpsed86017f.jpg

Another month unbeaten with some very hard games played. The big one as far as our fans are concerned against Juve. They scored shortly after half time and then had Asamoah sent off in the 85th minute so a glimmer of hope I thought, only for Guillermo Rodriguez to get himself a 2nd yellow bang on 90. As we entered the 4th minute of injury time Stephan Lichtsteiner gave away a stupid free kick and got his marching orders for Juve and gave us one last chance. Alessio Cerci's free kick was well saved by Buffon but El Kaddouri was there to smash in the rebound in the 95th minute! A ciro Immobile brace gave us an easy win against Atalanta then an even easier win was gained against Fiorentina. Followed by probably the most impressive result as we took Napoli apart. We finished off the month with a 1-1 draw against Livorno which we fought back well after giving away an early goal but their keeper was in inspired form.

We finished the month in 2nd place in Serie A, 3 points behind one time runaway leaders Milan. I actually Can't quite believe how this season has gone. From being worried by my defense at the start of the season to where we are now is amazing. I just hope we have the luck to maintain this form.

In the transfer window I signed Guiseppe Bellusci from Sassuolo for a fee of £3.9 million spread over 48 months to help bolster my backline. Going out was Allesandro Gazzi to Parma for £500k. I also signed a couple of keepers on pre-contracts for next season. Carlos Kameni from Malaga and young Dutch keeper Jeroen Houwen from Vitesse.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

February 2014 review

Feb2014_zps3341bfa5.jpg

4 games this month that all finished in draws. It frustrating that we couldn't get a win or 2 but we played 3 teams who were in the top 9 and chievo was the disapointing game but a point away from home isn't bad really. I think this month I realised how short we are if the 11 on the pitch don't perform. Despite no wins we only dropped down one spot to 3rd place in the league.

A very good start!

What's your tactical set-up? Slow and patient, I imagine. Will we see a Libero at some point too?

tactics_zps96082c73.jpg

That's pretty much the setup I've used all the time this season. I also have the highest pass completion in the league so far. I'd love to get Libero in their someday but I'll have to wait to get my own players in as I don't think we have anyone who could play that role well enough at the minute.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

March 2014 review

March2014_zps7ee2951d.jpg

A bit of a mixed month for us as we finally lost our 16 game unbeaten record at Inter. It had been coming as 5 draws in a row would suggest but we bounced back brilliantly in a great game away at Bologna. A fairly routine win against Cagliari followed before we were thrashed by Udinese. At least we finished the month of with a win against 19th place Sassuolo. we finished the month in 4th place which is amazing seeing as were now only a month and a half away from the end of the season.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

April 2014 review

April2014_zps8afaa7c0.jpg

A tough month started with a late defeat in a match between 2nd and 3rd (on level points). Then a poor performance against bottom of the table Genoa after we went 1-0 up. We then blew a 2 goal lead at Verona before a hard fought win with Lazio. The final game of the month saw us at Milan who could of been crowned champions with a win but we held firm and took away a deserved point. With just 2 games to go we were in 4th place just 3 points of the champions league!

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

May 2014 review

May2014_zps70fdfa88.jpg

Well we closed out my 1st season in charge with a great win over our main rivals which definitely pleased our fans. We then stumbled to a 2-1 deafeat at Atalanta to end the season on a bit of a low but overall its been an amazing 1st season in charge. We missed out on the holy grail of the champions league but we have managed to qualify for the Europa league so the long suffering 'Granata' faithful will have european football back at the Olimpico.

Final Serie A Table

Leaguetable13-14_zpsab9b2bcb.jpg

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

July/August 2014 review

Aug2014_zpsd48e6e5c.jpg

Well after the success of my 1st season we started this season off in the Europa league with a couple of games against Partick Thistle that we made easy work off. we then drew Scottish competition again this time Aberdeen gave us much more of a game and we drew the 1st leg away. We finally kicked of our league campaign against Cagliari who gave us a wake up call as they handed out a good hiding and were 3-0 up in no time at the Olimpico.

We the finished the job of At home against the Dons and made easy work off Bologna to get our 1st points of the season on the board.

We were given a pretty hard group which isn't that much of a suprise as I was in pot 4.

Euroleaguegroup2014_zps870d1861.jpg

I Was Given a decent Budget of £17 million and definitely made the most of it by signing 13 players as I tried to form a side capable of the extra games i will play this season. My Big signing was Etienne Capoue for £3.4 million. Veteran striker Alberto Gilardino came in for £1.5 million and Omar El Kaddouri's Loan was made permanent also for £1.5 million. Jonathon Dos Santos was once again brought in on loan and I bought Sassuolo's 50% of Luca Marrone but couldn't agree a deal with Juve so will go to the blind auction next summer.

I also added Mattia Cassani, Stefano Beltrame Fausto Rossi and Christian Pasquato aswell as the two keepers i agreed to sign last January.

Outgoing was Kamil Glik to Parma for £700k and Alen Stevanovic to Atalanta for £1.6 million. A load of players left on loan and free transers including Matteo Brighi and Guisseppe Vives.

HAHAHA... I've only just seen this. So sorry, mate!

No worries i Have nearly done that on a few occasions already!

Well done finishing above Juventus and getting into Europe. If you can keep finishing above them it's only a matter of time before there's some silverware in the cabinet.

Thanks! I would of though finishing above Juve at the start of the season would of at least meant CL, if not being crowned Champions.

Catania?!

Incredible season for you, mate.

You're no Malaga, though... :brock:

Thanks, there were a few suprise's, at one point me Cagliari, Catainia, Parma and Sampdoria were 2nd to 5th!

Brilliant first season' date=' at first look at your new fixtures I thought you moved to Scotland than I saw its just the Europa.[/quote']

Thanks and yes not exactly the most glamorous start to life in Europe!

Archived