Making Italy's true giant, great once again

nava

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

September 2014 review

september2014_zps98744696.jpg

Not the best month for us as we found goals hard to come by. We were unlucky against Milan who are the defending champions but we really should of beat both Chievo and Osasuna. The Lazio game was much more like it and it was nice to see Alexander Farnerud finally look like the player who finished last season in excellent form.

Ciro Immobile is really struggling this season and I'm still working out the best partnerships for us up front which is probably not helping us.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

October 2014 review

October2014_zps4c1902e6.jpg

Not a bad month for us as we finally seem to be clicking. A couple of good results in Europe that put us in to 2nd place in the group. We had a poor result against Pescara after we fought back from 2-0 down only to give a goal away in the last minute. Ciro Immobile is finally getting back into the goal scoring habit after starting the season of poorly. We finished the month of in 11th place

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

November 2014 review

Novemeber2014_zps92bcc08e.jpg

November brought around our busiest month of the season so far and it turned out to be a very good one for us. we started of with 3 draws all against good teams and the one against Shakhtar put us in with a real chance of qualifying for the latter rounds. we then destroyed Verona and Osasuna before an excellent win against Roma. One bit of bad news was I agreed the sale of Alessio Cerci in Jan for £2.7 million after repeated failed contract talks and his poor attitude as he was intent on moving to a bigger club, shame he's joinong bottom of the table Chievo then :lol: with the good month we moved up a couple of spots to 9th in the league.

11th isn't great. Comedown after last season?

It is a bit but I've got a fair few more games this season with the Europa League and I am putting a lot of focus on that and the Italian cup as I want to win a trophy as soon as possible so the main 13/14 players are lacking a little in fitness, hopefully a couple of signings in Jan can help that. Also everytime I seem to win so does everyone else above so i seem to be stuck in mid-table.

Excellent first season, and 9th is good going given the added demands of European football.

For some reason or other, I never had any idea about the tragedy that hit the team, so you've taught me something too. Who said video games couldn't be educational? :)

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

December 2014 review

december2014_zps2e93cf14.jpg

A very embarrassing defeat to our main rivals and easily the worst result of my time at Torino was a dreadful way to start the month. We were totally outplayed by the league leaders and whilst we had our chances to score to make it look at bit more respectable it could of looked even worse if Juve hadn't of missed a couple of sitters. At least we bounced back with a couple of wins in the cups. I rested the majority of our team against the whipping boys of the group but we still won comfortably with a Nicola Bellomo double. We then needed extra time against Atalanta in an excellent game and Alessio Cerci gave us a present before he departs to Chievo with the winner in extra time. We finished the year out with a poor point against struggling Fiorentina after going 1-0 up.

We finished the year in 10th place Probably a more true reflection on where we really are after the heights of last season, but we are doing very well in both the cup competitions so I'd say were on course for another good season overall.

GroupD2014_zps427a4e29.jpg

We managed to finish 2nd in group D in the Europa league behind Shaktar and we were rewarded with a 2nd round fixture Vs Leverkusen

9th is good' date=' still in contention for a repeat in Europe, first season is always hard due to squad depth all those extra fixtures really take it out of smallish squads.[/quote']

Thanks I think 9th is where we probably are with the quality and size of the squad so I.m not too dissapointed in that respect.

Excellent first season, and 9th is good going given the added demands of European football.

For some reason or other, I never had any idea about the tragedy that hit the team, so you've taught me something too. Who said video games couldn't be educational? :)

Cheers pal and I only Learnt about it a couple of years ago myself and wasn't untill I read 'Calcio' that I really looked into it.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

January 2015 review

January2015_zps9b85a030.jpg

Well one very action packed month to say the least. We started the year of with a cup game against Serie B team Padova and put 5 past them. Then a very poor result against Modena before we bounced back with a win at Parma. A 3-3 draw at Cagliari showed that goals weren't a problem. We then had a chance to redeem ourselves after the beating Juve gave us last month in the semi final and we fought our way to a brilliant 1-1 draw away from home the only problem was Etienne Capoue getting a red card and now misses the next 3 Italian cup games. then a shocking 1st half saw us 3-0 down against rivals Bologna but a spirited fightback saw us claim a late point and we could of even won it if it wasn't for there goalkeeper in injury time! And in the last game of the month we booked our place in the final against Sampdoria winning 2-1 in the Olimpico! but I will be missing 2 center defenders aswell as Capoue in the final. We finished January of in 10th place

In the January transfer window I lost Alessio Cerci to Chievo so I brought in experienced winger Ricardo Quaresma on a free to the end of the season he had an storming Debut by scoring and assisting 2. Also I finally managed to sign Renzo Piccini from Zurich for a total of £7 million. (he was valued at £52k!) he is a very big gamble on my behalf but he is a 19 year old central defender who can also play the sweeper position and was wanted by a fair few of Europe's big guns so I'm delighted my pursuit of him paid off.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

February 2015 review

Febuary2015_zps1f5becd1.jpg

Another busy month for us as we finally kept a clean sheet against Chievo although they were bottom of the table at the time. We then blew a 2 goal lead at Inter before destroying Lazio. We were easily beaten in our 2nd trip to the San Siro in the space of a couple of weeks and we followed that up with a decent point against Udinese. Our 1st Game in the knockout stages was a brilliant one going 3-0 up before they pulled 2 goals back and then we got a 4th to give us a great chance in the return leg.

I then decided to rest a couple of the tired players with the 2nd leg in the back of my mind but that made little difference as we beat Palermo before finishing the job of in Germany with a creditable draw. We finished February in 10th place once again

Vittorio Parigini has become a major player for us in the last couple of months and is making great strides aswell as forcing his way into a couple of the Italy u21's squads. And Renzo Piccini has forced his way into the centre of defence despite only coming in, late last month and is performing brilliantly for a 19 year old.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

March 2015 review

march2015_zps85de56c4.jpg

Unfortunately our European adventure came to an end after the heartbreak of penalties at PSV. We pretty much blew the tie as we conceeded both goals in the 2nd half after dominating the 1st game and the 1st half of the 2nd leg. We were destroyed by 2nd place Sampdoria after a narrow win against Pescara. we drew the rest of the games in the month as we remained in 10th place in the league standings.

With no European games and no chance of a top 5 finish to claim a place in Europe for next season our whole focus is now on the cup final in May.

Vittorio Parigini continued his good form and development. Looks like He could become a legend for this club if he carries on like he has been.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

April 2015 review

April2015_zpse6e23da9.jpg

Just the league for us this month and we started of in great fashion by destroying Verona 4-0 thanks to a Vittorio Paragini hat-trick. We then suffered a terrible defeat at 19th place Roma before we played 3rd and 2nd and picked up a couple of decent draws.Not much really happened this month although I have snapped up Gael Kakuta on a free at the end of the year after he was released from Chelsea. We moved up one place to 9th place in Serie A

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

May 2015 review

May2015_zpse78ce4b2.jpg

Well the season is finally over and we started may off with a couple of wins. We beat Parma at home in what was a pretty dull game and we won at Fiorentina to send them down to Serie B. In the meantime I lost Vittorio Paragini to injury which left me with a very depleted squad and with the cup final at the end of the month I decided to rest all my Key players for the last match and go with a mixture of youth/deadwood/reserves in the final league match against Modena which we lost despite being the better team.

cupwin_zpsf638c175.jpg

Basically after being knocked out of Europe and never threatening a top 5 finish my season rested on the final against recently crowned league champions Sampdoria. I was depleted, My starting 11 was just about ok but my Bench really worried me. Luckily Sampdoria had a couple of players suspended for the final aswell. We started of poorly and deservedly conceded the 1st goal. It seemed to spark us into life as we then dominated the match with Alberto Gillardino finding the net twice and Ciro Immobile getting the other. we let in a soft 2nd but it didn't matter and we lifted the 1st trophy the club has won since 1993!

The final Serie A table

SerieA2015_zpse80f30cf.jpg

A couple of suprises relegated to say the least!

Top scorers

League-cup-Europe (total)

Alberto Gilardino 8-5-11 (24)

Ciro Immobile 13-3-4 (20)

Vittorio Parigini 8-1-2 (11)

Congratulations on the Cup win!

Cheers pal

Sampdoria top is also a bit surprising.

Yes although they have a decent squad and Manolo Gabbiadini has become a great player for them.

Excellent job in the cup final :thup:

Thanks!

Time to steal from Roma?

I've mad a bid for a couple of players but the players turned me down for other clubs. Fiorentina players on the other hand though....

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

August 2015 review

August2015_zpsd946b3bb.jpg

An excellent start to the new season after finishing last year on a major high. we destroyed Cittadella 4-0 to get our defence of the Coppa Italia on the way and beat Sampdoria in the Super Coppa. We then hit the league and won a very difficult game away from home in convinging fashion by battering Cagliari 3-1. Then it was on to Milan who had spent big over the summer and we cruised to our 2nd 3-1 win in a row.

Transfer Update

It was a very busy summer for us as we signed no less than 13 players I was given a budget of £26 million to improve the squad. We outright purchased Ciro Immobile and Luca Marrone from Juventus for £3,5 million and £2.7 million respectively. Also we bought Simone Verdi and Nicolo Bellomo outright for a total of £111,000. We brought in Gael Kakuta, Ignacio Camacho and young keeper Luca lezzerini on free transfers. I raided relegated Fiorentina for Guiseppe Rossi (£2.3 million) and Andrea Ranocchia(£12.75 million) before our last big transfer of Real Madrid man Sami Khedira for £6 million We added free aganets Vito Mannone and Sergio Diaz as cover late on and signed young midfielder Pedro Rodrigues for £550k from Benfica. Pretty much all these deals are being paid over 48 months to help with the finances.

Leaving the Olimpico Marcelo Larrondo for £575k, Omar El Kaddouri to Verona for £1.7million, Alberto Gillardino went to Olympiakos for £575k and mattia Cassani went to Pescara for £155k. On top of that was a lot of reserves/youth who's contracts were not renewed and a lot of young players sent out on loan to gain vital match experience.

The transfer of Andrea Ranocchia also smashed out transfer record

Ranocchiatransfer_zpsc25436c6.jpg

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

September 2015 review

Sept2015_zpsf5589983.jpg

Another good month as we beat a decent Napoli team thanks to a Guiseppe Rossi Penalty. We started our European campaign with a narrow win against P. Ferreira as I decided to play a few of the youngsters and a couple reserves but we just about had enough. We then got a decent point at Parma before a good win against Udinese. we then got a good beating a champions Sampdoria as we were 4-0 down at half time before making it a bit more respectable by pulling a couple of goals back. The comeback was ended late on as they got a deserved 5th. Despite that hammering we finished the month in 2nd place only behind Sampdoria on goal difference.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

October 2015 review

Oct2015_zpsab8a6116.jpg

Another solid month as we took control of our Europa league group by beating FC Twente in an exciting game at the Olimpico. We then edged past Pescara before throwing a 2 goal lead away at Verona. We then got an excellent win away in Kiev which all but ensured we would reach the knockout stages in Europe for the 2nd season running. We returned to league action with a hammering of Cesena but we followed that up with a tough loss at Modena despite battering them all game. We slipped one place to 3rd place in the league level on points with Juve who were now 2nd

We're doing much better than expected so far, I'm just a little worried about our lack of depth up front and out wide. I've only got the 3 main strikers and currently have 16 year old Franco Fantini as my 4th choice. Its a similar situation on the wings as well.

torino_zps1d1252ab.jpg

November 2015 review

November2015_zpsbb4977e6.jpg

We had quite a busy month with some very tough games but we did OK in the end. We played out a hard fought point at home against Inter before losing at home to Kiev in Europe. We were then involed in a thriller of a Turin derby getting an excellent result against Juve away from home before we destroyed Palermo. I rested a lot of players for our game against P. Ferreira needing only a point to qualify we cruised to an easy win. The last game of the month was away at 6th place Atalanta and we managed to recover from being 2-0 down early on to gain a point. I remained in 3rd place this month but have been overtaken by Milan who I have 2 games in hand on, and 8 points behind leaders Sampdoria with a game in hand on them.

Nicola Bellomo had a pretty impressive month scoring a few goals after being mainly on the bench so far this season. Its one of the areas I'm looking at adding to my squad so maybe he's giving me a bit of a reminder that he's half decent!

Archived