Derby 4321 - B-

Hello all,

I am currently approaching the half way point in the 2nd season with Derby County and find myself bang in mid table, as I have been for nearly every week I have been in the job.

A first season of uber tactical tinkering seen me eventually settle with the below 4321 formation. My only change has been at CF where I have tried variety of roles as I can't get sufficient consistency. It started as a False 9 which on occassions worked a treated but at times had very little influence. I have some personal settings on full backs (tighter marking, close down more) and my DLP (close down more). I started games on standard before switching based on flow of the game. This usually transpired to being on control at home, counter away before ending on counter/defensive if winning.

beyy.png[/url]

Which saw the team finish the season very strongly (see from Ipswich game below). I was very impressed with the balance and the quality of football on show

vyp1.png

I made a number of signings in the preseason to fit into this system but so far has been ridiculously inconsistent. Six wins, six draws and six defeats with no real pattern into what is happening (winning 3-0 away to league leaders followed by 4-1 at home to struggling Peterborough). I am perservering with the start on standard and switch and a lot of the trends of last year remain. We typically dominate possession, create decent amount of chances but are struggling defensively.

lf0z.png

If any kind forumites have any constructive feedback that would be greatly appreciated. Particularly with my striker and the roles in central midfield.

Ineed, your defense doesn't get any defensive support from midfield. A solid defense depends on three or four players with one of them attacking the ball while the others provide cover and mark attackers. Right now, any formation using a DLF or AM will cause you a lot of trouble. A balanced midfield is the base I build any tactic around and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Archived