FM14: Tottenham Hotspur - "“ Sold Elvis and bought The Beatles..."

enders357

Ooooh, unlucky on that PSG match. I understand what you were trying to do i.e. preserve your lead etc. I think that maybe you were defending far too deep which allowed them too much space and they took advantage of that, the contain strategy, especially in conjunction with your shouts. Contain strategy is not a bad idea, I try to use it right near the end of a game. Usually, I had success with a good team talk and then use a counter strategy or defence depending on situation. Of course, the formation has to be set up for it. I had success playing away from home using a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-5-1 / 4-3-3) formation, the one that Biesla uses. I like the triangular midfield trio in the middle of the park, very stable if set up the right way.

Anchor Man, BWM/S and AP/A. I might change BWM/S to CM/S and the AP/A to more conservative role/duty if trying to defend a lead perhaps. The AML/R will usually be both IF and the lone attacker either an AF/A or DLF/A depending on situation.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, i used it before around 70th minute if i was leading away at one of the big clubs, usually i took off my AMC and replaced him with an Anchor Man or even a DC, and doing so i preserved my lead most of the times :) Also AMR and AML turned to MR and ML with support rather than attack duty ...

Meanwhile :

bech.png

:))

What a terrible ending to my season, started brightly and at one point, after 19 matches i had 11 points ahead of 2nd place.

Then came a string of bad results and lost the 1st place to City, with 3 weeks before the end of the season i was on level points with City, in semifinals in FA Cup and UCL and won the League Cup. I said to myself that this is it, i can won all trophies in 1 year.

In the end i lost the title, knocked out in semis by Wigan in FA Cup and by Milan in UCL where in the 2nd leg, i missed alot of chances, it was just unbelievable, the ball didnt want to enter their net.

qy07.png

6why.png

Guess who won it again ? Incredible.

8nrb.png

y1ih.png

Too bad Milan knocked me out, i wanted a revenge against PSG after they defeated me in Semis in the previous season.

I wonder if some of the young players at the vlub will have improved stats in the Jan update - I've watched a fair bit of the development team and u21s over the last year or so and feel that Fredericks, Bentaleb, Fryers, and Veljkovic have all been a bit underrated in the game. Maybe with their game time under Sherwood their stats, or at least PA, will get a little knock up.

Have any of you had success making Eriksen really shine (without corner cheat)? Find it really hard to play genuine no. 10's in this years FM… Eriksen no exception :-S

Erikson is by far my stand out performer after 3 seasons. He contributes to so many goals it is unreal!

I play him as a Attacking Playmaker just behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Has 17 assists in 12 games for me in my 3rd season so far!

And what do you do with Townsend/Lennon (and/or Chadli)???

I've got Chadli and Lennon performing superb by the way. But absolutely no luck with Townsend. Averaging about 6.4 halfway through the season :-S

Townsed can be good employed as an Inside Forward in the AMR position. He scored some wonder goals for me in the past few seasons and if used right can be good. If you put him in the AMR role as an IF, he will cut inside and smash them in with his left foot.

Right, I've waited long enough, time to start my annual network game with my mate who is a Newcastle fan.

I've had a quick browse of the thread and I'm a little disappointed with the prognosis of the youngsters that I've seen so far in this thread. Our youth team walked to the top position in the top U-21 league last year with a lot of our players out on loan, and only didn't wrap the whole thing up because of the silly system that takes the top two ( ? ) teams from the league and has them play a knock out match for the title. We lost to Man Utd. Suffice to say, there is a genuine argument to be made that Spurs have the best crop of youth in the country, the best organized youth system, and the best training facilities to continue this on. Our results in the Next Gen were further indication of this. In my mind......

Carroll

Kane

Fryers

Fredericks

Bentelab

Veljkovic

Coulthirst

Pritchard

Onumah ( spelling ? )

Winks

and plenty others should all be highly rated and potential PL players. One or two of them should arguably be -9's or have pretty highly set PA's. I take it this does not seem to be the case and other PL clubs are probably more stacked with this standard of youth ?

If thats the case its somewhat frustrating, as these are all points I tried to make in the data issues thread last year.

Right, I've waited long enough, time to start my annual network game with my mate who is a Newcastle fan.

I've had a quick browse of the thread and I'm a little disappointed with the prognosis of the youngsters that I've seen so far in this thread. Our youth team walked to the top position in the top U-21 league last year with a lot of our players out on loan, and only didn't wrap the whole thing up because of the silly system that takes the top two ( ? ) teams from the league and has them play a knock out match for the title. We lost to Man Utd. Suffice to say, there is a genuine argument to be made that Spurs have the best crop of youth in the country, the best organized youth system, and the best training facilities to continue this on. Our results in the Next Gen were further indication of this. In my mind......

Carroll

Kane

Fryers

Fredericks

Bentelab

Veljkovic

Coulthirst

Pritchard

Onumah ( spelling ? )

Winks

and plenty others should all be highly rated and potential PL players. One or two of them should arguably be -9's or have pretty highly set PA's. I take it this does not seem to be the case and other PL clubs are probably more stacked with this standard of youth ?

If thats the case its somewhat frustrating, as these are all points I tried to make in the data issues thread last year.

Totally agree with you. I am a Spurs fan, but there's a clear, logical and objective argument (which you've made) for these players being better than they're rated. To have walked the U21 Premier League in the way they did last season while most of the first choice young players were out doing good things on loan, coupled with the excellent training facilities, suggests these boys have been underrated.

Kane and Carroll are capable of becoming PL players in game, but not good enough for the likes of Spurs. Maybe this is realistic, who knows. The fact though that Fryers, Fredericks, Bentaleb, and Veljkovic in particular have such bad stats is just plain criminal. All of them should be capable of developing in to good PL players. I wonder if we can expect those that have been involved with the first team IRL lately to get a boost to their stats in the January update.

Erikson is by far my stand out performer after 3 seasons. He contributes to so many goals it is unreal!

I play him as a Attacking Playmaker just behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Has 17 assists in 12 games for me in my 3rd season so far!

What's the corner cheat? Not looking to use it, obviously...... ;)

Totally agree with you. I am a Spurs fan, but there's a clear, logical and objective argument (which you've made) for these players being better than they're rated. To have walked the U21 Premier League in the way they did last season while most of the first choice young players were out doing good things on loan, coupled with the excellent training facilities, suggests these boys have been underrated.

Kane and Carroll are capable of becoming PL players in game, but not good enough for the likes of Spurs. Maybe this is realistic, who knows. The fact though that Fryers, Fredericks, Bentaleb, and Veljkovic in particular have such bad stats is just plain criminal. All of them should be capable of developing in to good PL players. I wonder if we can expect those that have been involved with the first team IRL lately to get a boost to their stats in the January update.

Me too mate. I don't think I am being biased with the points I have brought up either.

Look at the way Bentelab has played so far. He hasn't been earth shattering but he has looked composed, quite strong and good technically with the small appearances he has made. I mean he has been chucked right in the deep end FFS !

I raised these issues at the end of last season and was told I was doing it in the wrong thread. The points were still noted, however. Tbh, if Id read this thread before buying the game an hour or two ago, I would have refused to buy it out of principle. No surprise to me that other clubs have been given higher ratings and I think its just not good enough really. Our youth system was mince for many years but since Arneson in 2005 completely changed the youth system things have rapidly improved. The first crop he created are all 21-23 now and looking good. The younger ones should be even better.

Coulthirst is meant to be the best striker prospect to come through our club in a long time

Winks, Onumah and a few others at that age are getting ridiculously good reviews

Well, Ive just completed my first two big sessions, and lo and behold.........

I am struggling like I have never struggled before. Im about 10 league games in and have 3 wins, 4 losses and 3 draws. Losses as follows - Stoke away, Southampton away, Chelsea away and Aston Villa at home. Strangely my wins are Liverpool at home 2-1, Man City away 1-0 thanks to a Soldado penalty and West Ham away 3-2 where I came from 2-1 behind to score two goals in injury time ! Draws at home to Newcastle, Cardiff and Norwich.

Last game I just got decimated by Southampton 3-0 and had to explain myself to Levy. I held my hands up and took blame and my honesty seemed to placate him for now. Marooned in 12th place. Bizarrely, Man City are in 18th place and Villa and Southampton are 3rd and 4th. Dumped out of League Cup by City, and scraping through most likely in the Europa after losing 2-0 at home to Maribor !!!

Soldado is doing nothing, Lamela nothing, Eriksen nothing, Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho all poor and my defence keeps conceding silly goals. Rose in particular has back passed 3 balls straight to a striker for a goal.

I have basically been using very similar tactics to the ones laid out in the OP. My friend as Newcastle is one point better off and in 10th place.

As an experienced FMer I am completely mystified. My only thought is that there are too many new players and I am having serious gelling issues, but this does not seem to tally up with how others are getting on in their saves. I have bought very few players

IN

Balanta

Souttar ( start of next season )

Barbosa ( start of next season )

OUT

Defoe.

Only highlights have been a couple of Sigurdsson free kicks and Townsend's general form.

Near impossible to give you any advice without knowing how you play the team??? Formation, strategy, in fact all of your tactical setup should be put on the table for others to have any clue what's going wrong ;)

I am near on using the identical tactics to the OP. Its cool, I wasn't really looking for tactical advice, just more venting.

Bizarre league table.

I was 4th on first season and won UEFA League. Had too many long and simultaneous injuries.

Nonetheless, Newcastle was 2nd and won the League Cup.

tabelaliga.jpg

I don't know if I continue this or restart to try to win to be better than Newcastle :)

Why stop? 4th is a good finish for your first season. Surely it's more fun to build realistically than to only play if you win the league? I love the challenge of building the club up

Well, Ive just completed my first two big sessions, and lo and behold.........

I am struggling like I have never struggled before. Im about 10 league games in and have 3 wins, 4 losses and 3 draws. Losses as follows - Stoke away, Southampton away, Chelsea away and Aston Villa at home. Strangely my wins are Liverpool at home 2-1, Man City away 1-0 thanks to a Soldado penalty and West Ham away 3-2 where I came from 2-1 behind to score two goals in injury time ! Draws at home to Newcastle, Cardiff and Norwich.

Last game I just got decimated by Southampton 3-0 and had to explain myself to Levy. I held my hands up and took blame and my honesty seemed to placate him for now. Marooned in 12th place. Bizarrely, Man City are in 18th place and Villa and Southampton are 3rd and 4th. Dumped out of League Cup by City, and scraping through most likely in the Europa after losing 2-0 at home to Maribor !!!

Soldado is doing nothing, Lamela nothing, Eriksen nothing, Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho all poor and my defence keeps conceding silly goals. Rose in particular has back passed 3 balls straight to a striker for a goal.

I have basically been using very similar tactics to the ones laid out in the OP. My friend as Newcastle is one point better off and in 10th place.

As an experienced FMer I am completely mystified. My only thought is that there are too many new players and I am having serious gelling issues, but this does not seem to tally up with how others are getting on in their saves. I have bought very few players

IN

Balanta

Souttar ( start of next season )

Barbosa ( start of next season )

OUT

Defoe.

Only highlights have been a couple of Sigurdsson free kicks and Townsend's general form.

I really struggled in my first season and finsihed 11th - I only kept my job because of some quick talking in a post-season meeting with Levy. It'll come good, you just need to be patient. I think the amount of new players (9 if you count Townsend and Rose, who weren't at the club last season) - plus any you add yourself - has a huge effect. I've also noticed that it takes far longer for the players to adapt to new tactics now, probably more realistically, so it's only really come November/December that they settle in to your way of playing.

As for individuals: Lamela will come good, even if it's not til season two. IF on the right wing, ideally with no number 10 blocking off his runs in to the centre, and he'll get you 10-15 league goals and 10 assists. Paulinho and Soldado are hopeless, replace them when you can. Eriksen and Holtby can both be retrained to play as left wingers and are exceptional there, especially Eriksen.

I would suggest 4-3-3, with Sigurdsson bursting forward from midfield as an AP-A, and make signing a left back a priority. I know they're hardly groundbreaking recommendations but Baines, Alaba and Ben Davies are your best bets. Longer term look at Luke Shaw, Dodo (Roma) or Jonathan Silva (Estudiantes). As for forwards; Aleksandr Mitrovic (Anderlecht) and Manolo Gabbiadini (Sampdoria) would be my top recommendations, though both are young and will need time to develop. Keep an eye on Man City - they have more forwards than they can keep happy and I've picked up Negredo myself (and he was immense!) and seen others get Aguero when he's become unhappy at not playing.

I really struggled in my first season and finsihed 11th - I only kept my job because of some quick talking in a post-season meeting with Levy. It'll come good, you just need to be patient. I think the amount of new players (9 if you count Townsend and Rose, who weren't at the club last season) - plus any you add yourself - has a huge effect. I've also noticed that it takes far longer for the players to adapt to new tactics now, probably more realistically, so it's only really come November/December that they settle in to your way of playing.

As for individuals: Lamela will come good, even if it's not til season two. IF on the right wing, ideally with no number 10 blocking off his runs in to the centre, and he'll get you 10-15 league goals and 10 assists. Paulinho and Soldado are hopeless, replace them when you can. Eriksen and Holtby can both be retrained to play as left wingers and are exceptional there, especially Eriksen.

I would suggest 4-3-3, with Sigurdsson bursting forward from midfield as an AP-A, and make signing a left back a priority. I know they're hardly groundbreaking recommendations but Baines, Alaba and Ben Davies are your best bets. Longer term look at Luke Shaw, Dodo (Roma) or Jonathan Silva (Estudiantes). As for forwards; Aleksandr Mitrovic (Anderlecht) and Manolo Gabbiadini (Sampdoria) would be my top recommendations, though both are young and will need time to develop. Keep an eye on Man City - they have more forwards than they can keep happy and I've picked up Negredo myself (and he was immense!) and seen others get Aguero when he's become unhappy at not playing.

I seem to have fixed the problem in this latest session.

I have same formation as your 4-2-3-1 in the op, same instructions with the additions of play narrower ( to allow my wing backs more space to overlap into and also seems to have solidified me defensively ), pass into space ( to try and quicken up the attacks a little and be more incisive ) and more expressive ( to try cause a little bit of havoc with players switching about )

Sigurdsson is playing in the AM role, Eriksen/Holtby as the AP and Lamela/Townsend as the IF

All these positions seem to be firing a lot more now

I have removed the pass out of defence instruction and this seems to have completely cut out Rose's errors.

Wins against Everton A, WBA H, Arsenal A and Fulham H on the bounce have catapulted me back up to sixth and only 4 points off fourth. I came very close to getting the chop. Six players individually came up to me about underachieving, I had the 'sack looming over' me on my mates screen.

I can't see any reason for Soldado and Paulinho to be useless, surely time is what will do it for them as they are both very good players. Paulinho looks great for sharing box to box duties with Dembele and has played all right for me.

If I was to recommend anything to someone starting a game it would be to work Paulinho, Soldado, and some of the newer guys in slowly in the league. Play Ade, Townsend/Lennon, Holtby, Dembele and Sandro in the league as they all know it, have experience in it and can speak English.

Capoue/Eriksen and Lamela to a degree seem to be able to get going quicker.

I have finally come back to FM after the christmas period, so have started a new save with Spurs to tackle the 14.2 patch! Only in pre-season, have made a tactic i'm happy with, wins against Bayern, Toulouse & Marseille!

Players out:

Friedel

Adebayor

Players in:

Coentrao

Balanta

I do need to sign a new left winger, any suggestions for roughly 7.5m? Or possibly even a loan move.

With that budget no buts that's me! I signed Greizmann first season and he is still going strong, I would suggest making the most out of Holtby/Siggy/Townsend and play them there

Yeah pre-season finished well and currently have 4 wins on the bounce in the league. Mixing Townsend and Chadli will do me through until at least January I think.

Vitinho! Or maybe Bruma?

Vitinho could be a good shout, i'll consider it in January!

On a side note, i'm struggling to win away games, I storm at home since the squad is just so attack minded. Anybody have any tips for away games?

My first attempt on Spurs, playing a 4-2-3-1 system but one cm and one anchor man.

bought: Pastore,Montoya,Conrteao and Balanta. no english in the team :)

sold: lennon,abedayor, gomes and friedel.

Team looks good but have all my central defenders out with injury in pre season.

I will buy british players from now on. as they become available.

Yes,

I first attemted of off load him for his vaue which was 9M in Euros. no one bid.

next day I offered him for 7.5m Euros and marseille came with an offer for 4.1M in cash. I knew it was little but better then nothing so I accepted. but he had 120k a week on wages so was happy about it. but he asked me to pay 43k a week till his contract runs out in 2016 i believe. was shocked but I needed the money for other transfers to come so accepted it. basically I got 4m euros + saved 80k a week till 2016.

Into 6th season now, with under ten matches to go. Just been way too lazy to update anything here, sorry guys. :) Won every competion (Community Shield, Super Cup, Carling Cup, FA Cup and the Champions League), except the EPL, where I finished 2nd behind United, after three consecutive Premiership titles. So almost a faultless 5th season and I wasn't too bothered with finishing second in the EPL. This season could well be a replicate of last season, as it's a really tight race for the EPL title, with United having a slight edge with less than ten matches to go. Last match of the season is at Old Trafford and it could come down to that, should be interesting. :) More update about the latter part of season five and about the ongoing season later..

I almost always play the same way home and away, with my 4-1-1-3-1 tactic with Balanced and Control, that I think I've posted to this thread. The only thing that sometimes changes is the instructions on how high the tempo is and how direct the passing style is. But that's more down to the opposition and how quick players they have. I mostly play a very deep d-line, higher tempo and direct passing, but if the opposition has slow players I change into shorter passing and slower tempo right from the start.

How are you playing away? Fluid? Control? Formation? I tend to change from 4-2-3-1 or 2-3-2-1-2 at home to 4-1-2-2-1 away with Balanced and Counter away,seems to do the trick

Have turned to a Counter - balanced 4-1-2-2-1 with a slower tempo. Away form has increased slightly but nowehere near on a par with my home performance where I have dropped just two points by November.

Will keep tweaking the away tactic, I've been watching the games and seem to improve each time.

Right. I've not touched FM14 since the beta and even then I barely looked at it. So, I have a couple questions:

1) Is FM14 any good? I mean, really? Any bugs or glaring issues? Aside from Spurs youth being criminally underated. Again. We had a change of researcher this year, I thought it might have improved.

2) Has anyone had success using Sherwood's RL gung-ho tactics? I've used one striker tactics forever on FM and feel a 2 up top system might make things interesting.

Thanks

Right. I've not touched FM14 since the beta and even then I barely looked at it. So, I have a couple questions:

1) Is FM14 any good? I mean, really? Any bugs or glaring issues? Aside from Spurs youth being criminally underated. Again. We had a change of researcher this year, I thought it might have improved.

2) Has anyone had success using Sherwood's RL gung-ho tactics? I've used one striker tactics forever on FM and feel a 2 up top system might make things interesting.

Thanks

Yes it's good, I'm personally finding it more difficult than previous years, which is refreshing. I'm finding you need to make more of an effort during games than previous versions.

In terms of the two up top - I personally wouldn't try it. The quality in midfield is generally very good, lot's of good attacking midfielders + Lamela for the wing.

That said; I would be interested to see how you get on. I just can't see you properly utilising Lamela and Eriksen if you use two strikers, far too crowded up top - but I would love to be proved wrong!

Yes it's good, I'm personally finding it more difficult than previous years, which is refreshing. I'm finding you need to make more of an effort during games than previous versions.

In terms of the two up top - I personally wouldn't try it. The quality in midfield is generally very good, lot's of good attacking midfielders + Lamela for the wing.

That said; I would be interested to see how you get on. I just can't see you properly utilising Lamela and Eriksen if you use two strikers, far too crowded up top - but I would love to be proved wrong!

I don't mind challenging, but geez, FM13 already felt like I had a 2nd full time job. Still I'll get stuck in.

I'm definitely going to go 2 up top. Without looking at the players or new roles this is how I'm thinking it could go:

GK: Lloris as Sweeper keeper - obviously

DR: Walker Fullback/attack

DC: Kaboul CB/defend

DC: Vertonghen CD/defend

DL: Rose or ANother FB/support

MC: Sandro CM/defend

MC: Eriksen adv playmaker/support

AMR: Lamela inside fwd/???

AML: Townsend/Lennon or maybe Siggy converted to AML Role not sure about

ST: Ade Deep Lying Forward/support

ST: Soldado Adv fwd

First problems I see with this are 1) I love Dembele and would need to find a way to use him, perhaps convert Eriksen to AML? 2) What to do with Paulinho, although reading the thread he seems underrated so meh.

I'll be sure to let you all know how that pans out.

Things I would say, personally:

Lamela is awesome at IF (A) - So play Ade in the support role as the right striker. I just think having two attacking player son the right hand side would be difficult to get the best out of either.

Next, try Siggy as the AML, seems to outperform Townsend, Lennon & Chadli for me. I use him as a Winger (S) at AML.

Eriksen at MC with that mentality and role should work. Don't convert him to AML, I think it'd be wasteful. I use him at AMC (S) but MC will work.

Definitely grab another DL. I can never seem to persuade Santon to come, always goes to Bayern. But Coentrao is a good option and you can get him for roughly 5.5m - 6m, you'll be surprised how cheaply Madrid will sell for.

If you want Walker attacking, try him in the new role 'Complete Wingback'.

Your problem about Dembele is a pickle, he's one of the first names on my team sheet.

Keep us posted with how you lineup & results!

EDIT: I wouldn't say Paulinho is overrated. He certainly has his uses, mainly as a sub/rotation...but he can be decent.

I favour him to Adebayor. But I think most of us sold Ade for wages reasons.

I sold Defoe, replaced him with Werner, and kept Ade for a season. Hope to flog him for value in the summer and slot Kane in. Bit of a risk, but Soldado and Siggy and Werner already score most of my goals.

I favour him to Adebayor. But I think most of us sold Ade for wages reasons.

I don't care about wage costs. It's Levy's money, not mine.

I sold Defoe, replaced him with Werner, and kept Ade for a season. Hope to flog him for value in the summer and slot Kane in. Bit of a risk, but Soldado and Siggy and Werner already score most of my goals.

Who is this Werner? How much will he cost me. I'm looking at Mario Mandzukic, he's listed by Bayern.

Also looking at Filipe or Kolarov for LB and Marchetti as back up keeper.

Who is this Werner? How much will he cost me. I'm looking at Mario Mandzukic, he's listed by Bayern.

Timo Werner a 17 y/o who can be found at Stuttgart. I don't remember what I got him for, but the price was fine for a kid who can start playing in the EPL right away. He will take some games to bed in, but most players do. After that he can be a terror, especially on the left wing with either Ade or Soldado up front. He can shred a minnow in cup matches up front too.

I don't care about wage costs. It's Levy's money, not mine.

Haha. I think the wages issue with Adbayor is he gets paid much more than he's worth and when the wage budget is tight keeping him on basically prevents you signing two better players.

Werner never quite made it in my save, but I know others really rate him. I'd look at Mitrovic for striker, Lucas Digne and Ben Davies for left back (though I tend to buy young players to develop so if you want world beaters from day one you'll have to look elsewhere.

Haha. I think the wages issue with Adbayor is he gets paid much more than he's worth and when the wage budget is tight keeping him on basically prevents you signing two better players.

Werner never quite made it in my save, but I know others really rate him. I'd look at Mitrovic for striker, Lucas Digne and Ben Davies for left back (though I tend to buy young players to develop so if you want world beaters from day one you'll have to look elsewhere.

I'm going to stick with Ade, see how he gets on.

Baldini couldn't do a deal for Mandzukic so unless a great opportunity presents itself I'll stick with Soldado, Ade, Defoe and Kane as my four strikers.

Filipe signed for £13m as left back. Kolarov was cheaper but Filipe seems better all round. My only major concern now is a back up keeper as Gomes and Brad aren't good enough. That said, if Lloris stays fit the back up won't play a single game anyway.

I have too many midfielders and wide players for my system.

Centrally its: Sandro, Dembele, Eriksen, Paulinho, Capoue, Holtby. I love Holtby IRL so want to use him but can see him getting lost in the mix. Utd are sniffing round Sandro, he's great but if I can get big money I might take it.

Wide I've got: Lamela, Siggy, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli. I'm loathe to part with any of them. I may retrain Chadli to play upfront as he could be a DLF.

I felt Gomes and Friedel were fine for the first season but let them both go when their contracts were up (£50k+ per week wages is too much on a back-up keeper).

Lloris has only missed about 5 league games in 4 years for me so I've never spent too much time worrying about the back-up. I generally try to bring a youngster with promise in to be third choice and then pick up the best available on a free each summer to be the main back up.

Archived