Attribute Masking

Attribute Masking Enabled?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Attribute Masking Enabled?

So in pursuit of realism, I've decided to enable Attribute Masking for the first time.

I'm just wondering how many of you have done the same and what your experiences of it were? Did it enhance your experience or was it just a massive pain in the ass that slowed everything down?

Always had it on. As has been mentioned would like the "fog of war" to be harder to remove 1-2 Scout Reports and I know everything, maybe more vague statements from the scouts, maybe them come back suggesting a range for the attributes, or maybe their scouted attributes are only a "guess" depending on how good they are, making bringing players on trial more important, not sure, but something to make it harder to see through. :)

Attribute masking makes the game way too easy because you just look at the scout reports, read he is a potential world class player and know everything. The other way around is much more challenging. I just look at the attributes and not at the scout reports. So i dont know anything about PA and how good the player may become in the future.

Can someone please explain attribute masking in more detail? I've always been a bit confused by the concept. Do you eventually learn attributes, assuming you scout? Do you know the attributes of your team right away? It's been awhile since I've tried it.

Basically you won't know the attributes of all but the top level players, you will be able to see some attributes of mid level players, and absolutely none of the lesser known players. You will be able to see all the attribute of your own players. Scouting will uncover attributes of other team's players.

I dislike it and see it as unrealistic, but primarily because if I were a manager, I would collect a vast array of video to watch players I might be interested in, as well as opponents etc (sort of like Bielsa!). Actually, I'm not a manager and I already view a huge amount of play worldwide... But I digress.

Indeed, I'd have a staff dedicated to aiding in that collection. So to me, knowing the attributes without overtly scouting is just me accessing my video collection.

It does take some discipline, though. If I'm searching for a player, I don't ever sort the lists by attributes as that would be "cheating" - only by playing statistics. Then it's fair and reasonable to say "this player has been in great form, so I would have watched some of his matches to get an idea of how good he is". I even only check out 1-3 players before hitting continue each time, so that I only see a realistic amount of players in a realistic amount of time. I'm sad like that...

But then, if he has key attributes I'm looking for, I'll scout him for a second opinion, which again, seems reasonable and fair. I never sign without scouting, even if I'm 100% sure based on attributes, as again, it feels realistic and accurate. Well, unless you're Harry Redknapp.

On the other hand, some people aren't as obsessive as me, and for those people, it's more realistic to have masking. So I like the feature overall, but I prefer it turned off for myself.

Never turned it on since FM12, it causes me to miss out on alot of great South American/East European regens because my scouts can't give me a report of the player before other clubs snap the guy up. Often ended up having to pay some 10 times the original transfer fee to bring the guy to my club after several seasons. It gets worse when I play as lower league clubs, when all the staff you hire are **** at scouting and you have only a vague idea of how good a player is. Rather than waste my time I rather just player search my way through free agents to find the player I want.

what is this? where can i set on/off ?

Thanks for the replies guys. It st up when you start a new game and can't be turned off.

I'm enjoying using it at the moment. It makes finding players harder but a bit more interesting and I suppose can stop you making rash decisions as you have to read what the scout says.

Always have it on. As already said I like that 'fog of war' and makes me use my scouts more.

Also in games when you are limited to scouting certain regions it means you either take a punt on a player you can't scout or you hope he'll arrive on trial.

Always use attribute masking, but when any scout in the world, even ones with 1/1 skill, can instantly reveal 100% of any players attributes in one day, whether or not the player plays in a game, and to 100% accuracy - it becomes fairly limited in value. Still, better than having it off altogether.

Leave it on I say. Although it's a shame that scouts instantly clear it up for you. Sometimes wish Football statistics were advanced enough to do "stats only" scouting, where you only could see their stats. Works great for OOTP, but baseball is a game entirely of statistics. Isn't such thing as Sabermetrics for football yet.

Always on.

My favourite part is when I sign a scout from an area that I am restricted from searching. Sometimes his initial report includes high recommendation players whose stats aren't completely visible. I can't scout them further, but sometimes I take the risk, I love it. Had good and awful signings this way, definitely adds to my fun.

Personally I think there should be an even greater level to this aspect of the game, and that scouting should become at least some way realistic by returning inaccurate or speculative stats for players which are only known as certain after a prolonged period of scouting.

Always off because in its current implementation it's just an extra step between seeing all of a player's attributes and having to click Get Scout Report and then see all of a player's attributes. The scouts do all of the initial scouting anyway if they're set up right. I always scout a player anyway for a report as it's the best indication of CA/PA.

Always off because in its current implementation it's just an extra step between seeing all of a player's attributes and having to click Get Scout Report and then see all of a player's attributes. The scouts do all of the initial scouting anyway if they're set up right. I always scout a player anyway for a report as it's the best indication of CA/PA.

But with lower league teams it makes it more challenging when you can't scout all continents. Also more challenging to find good regens instead of a simple player search. Would make it too easy getting all the good regen imo..

Archived