[14.1.4] Man City - 4-2-3-1 - Build a tactic with me

The Goal:

Building a strong and effective tactic while staying as true to real life as possible.

What we have thus far:

rw7f.png

I've chosen the 4-2-3-1 because it is the most fitting given the squad at the start of the game. I could deviate from this over time though, but it is a starting point for a framework at the moment. I have made a back up tactic using the tactic Pellegrini opted for in the away game against CSKA Moscow earlier in this seasons CL. This is basically a 4-2-2-2 (with two wingers in the middle of midfield and the two strikers). In real life these two tactics blend with one another since Kun Agüero likes to drop down etc.

You already know the squad, I made one addition in Pastore from PSG.

A look at the team instructions:

jhx0.png

A quick reasoning behind these choices:

Hassle Opp and Push Higher up is because I want us to win the ball back quickly once we lose it. I'd also like us to give the opponents a hard time playing their own game.

More Direct passing is chosen because I like to get the ball quickly forward.

I play out of defence because I feel it's more controlled to build play from the back. I concede goals because of lost aerial battles lost in midfield.

The fixtures so far:

qn9i.png

The Cardiff game was an anomaly to be honest. We were 5-0 up before the 30 minute mark and conceded 3 goals from 3 chances. A very strange game. It's nice to be winning games, but I'm far from happy with the way we are going about it. Note the player ratings from the Stoke game for instance, very scrappy.

Player instructions:

I've set all players from the CMs and forward to "Shoot less". The AM® spot is set to "Hold Position", for two reasons: 1) Jesus Navas is great at rounding defenders and crossing (I have a lot of aerial strength in my forwards) and 2) it got very clogged around the opposition area with him as a IF or Winger(A). This part of the formation I'm very happy with so far.

Areas that needs improving:

Let's have a look at this SS from a game against Real Madrid:

9fcb.png

A fitting image as to where I'm at right now.

I'm not happy with the dynamic of Touré/Fernandinho. Fernandinho is the one given the task of staying behind Yaya, and ideally giving support to the wingbacks. Fernandinho's ratings are very poor so far, given his quality. Clearly something is off there.

Also the two wingbacks (complete wingbacks). I'm not sure neither Clichy or Zabaleta possesses the qualities offensively to play in this role? To be honest, I haven't tried giving them for instance FB roles or wingbacks for that matter.

Using Kun Agüero in the best way possible is also a conundrum. Right now I deploy him as the Treq behind either Negredo or Dzeko. Negredo is my first choice right now, connecting well with Navas. I can't seem to get Dzeko going.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I know managing City is hardly a challenge, but I want to make the most of this game. I just don't want to click, play and win, so to say.

For me, the first place to start would be with your holding midfielder.

What sort of job do you see him doing primarily? How do you want to play defensively and how involved do you want him to be when your team is in possession?

This then will provide the back bone to the team in terms of protecting the centre backs and also supporting full backs. I like to think about defence first and then attack second.

For me, the first place to start would be with your holding midfielder.

What sort of job do you see him doing primarily? How do you want to play defensively and how involved do you want him to be when your team is in possession?

Primarily I want him to hold back when we have the ball, i.e. stay behind Yaya to cover for counters.

Defensively I want him to hold the shape and pick out opposition players and apply pressure/hassle.

This then will provide the back bone to the team in terms of protecting the centre backs and also supporting full backs. I like to think about defence first and then attack second.

I'm absolutely on board with your thought prosess here. I just finished the WBA game at home, losing 1-3 while dominating possession and chances. They score from 3 chances. The goals come solely from them being allowed to run right through my defence. 2 of the goals came from Kompany being drawn out of position by going after a striker, said striker puts a throughball behind Nastasic and they score one-on-one with Hart.

I'm not sure playing with two attacking wing backs is the way to go. You'll definitely be vulnerable to counters.

How's Aguero doing as a trequartista? I imagine he'd make a good shadow striker.

As it seems, the goals I concede are rarely from counters, it's rather strikers running straight through the defence (by stretching out one of the two CDs and putting a nicely timed throughball behind them). However, this is from a relatively small sample size.

Aguero is doing OK. Gets a few goals and creates chances, but both him and Touré fires away from distances a lot more than normal, which again tells me that I'm doing something wrong.

I would change both your CWBs to WBs.

There will be massive space left by them always being on the attack, at least being set to WBs they will do more defending.

I would also consider using 1 CD as a stopper or as cover, if your goals are from players running through the middle then a stopper could put a 'stop' to that.

I would also consider using 1 CD as a stopper or as cover, if your goals are from players running through the middle then a stopper could put a 'stop' to that.

This is helping, I put Kompany as Stopper and it seems to have worked.

Now I need to adjust the attacking aspect.

I've been using a tactic that had City in mind and it has been working fantastically for me.

In my one though I have DLP d next to the BBM. Also the IF is on support. Nasri is more support than attack.

Also in the Aguero type role I just have an att mid. He doesn't really have the same type of movement as a treq and I didn't find the shadow striker role worked well with an advanced forward.

I use 1 wingback on attack behind the If and a Full Back attack behind the W s and Sk d aswell.

Control/Fluid

Shorter passing

Pass into Space

Play out of Defence

Hassle opponents

Stay on Feet

Offside Trap

I originally used push higher up but with the latest patch they just kept knocking through balls over the top so I dropped it. The d line is pretty high by default anyway.

Touré is a bit of a liability though. He wants to dribble, but can't, if he starts to do so in your half, you've got only your MCR covering before the opposition reaches your defensive line..

Imo this Manchester City squad is the worst team put together with so much money, why loan Barry? He could have played as DLP, without negative PPM's.

"Imo this Manchester City squad is the worst team put together with so much money, why loan Barry? He could have played as DLP, without negative PPM's."

I doubt they had PPMs for FM in mind when City loaned out Barry to be fair ;)

Agree about Toure though, need to be careful using a 4231 with 2 cms if you are using him as a BBM.

"Imo this Manchester City squad is the worst team put together with so much money, why loan Barry? He could have played as DLP, without negative PPM's."

I doubt they had PPMs for FM in mind when City loaned out Barry to be fair ;)

Agree about Toure though, need to be careful using a 4231 with 2 cms if you are using him as a BBM.

Ofcourse not, but he remains a good player, and he's English, what the hell where they thinking. ;)

Wages Steve, all down to the wages.

Back to the OP, it is more a 442 than anything else that Pellegrini plays. Personally, I don't particularly like playing that formation with pushed up wingers unless I am a heavy favourite. I'd play Aguero as a Trequartista or a DLF Attack up front, and have Silva as an AP (s) on one of the wings (Right if playing Nasri, Left if playing Navas).

Archived