How to make my central defender join an attack?

So I have Inigo Martinez in my team who has crazy long shot (19) and good passing. In the game against Real Madrid I noticed that their defender Chiriches has often joined attacks staying really far forward from another centre back and even scored a screamer. However I struggle to find any player instructions to make my defender play like that ("get further forward" is greyed out). Regarding PPMs, Chiriches only has "Runs with ball often" and "Marks opponents tightly". It's not so rare to see a centre back behave like that in the modern football, but how do I replicate it in FM?

Probably should just retrain him as a midfielder the disadvantages of making your centre back go out of position probably outweigh him taking a few long shots a game even if he is really good at them. When you say its common these days for centre backs to go forward I can't think of too many really that get in scoring positions from open play other than staying forward from set pieces.

Whilst he is a defender, is it possible they were playing him in another position that game?

he can play DM and SW, but he definitely wasn't a DM this time, and i doubt there was any sense in using him as SW in 2-man defence

Probably should just retrain him as a midfielder the disadvantages of making your centre back go out of position probably outweigh him taking a few long shots a game even if he is really good at them. When you say its common these days for centre backs to go forward I can't think of too many really that get in scoring positions from open play other than staying forward from set pieces.

not the worst idea, he can play DM after some training, but i already have enough talented DMFs in my team. i won't use it all the time, just a fun and unusual for fm thing to try. brazilian centre-backs love (or used to) to try it: David Luiz, Lucio, Thiago Silva

• 6 months later...

Archived