4-2-3-1 Possession an no goals or goals and no possession...help!

HI,

I play a 4-2-3-1 detailed below which seems to work well when I am watching the game but the results are not always there and I my instructions seem to cause the problem...but maybe you can tell me otherwise. Here is how I set up:

WBL - A

CB - D

CB - D

FBR - Auto

BBM - S

DLP - D

IFL - S

T - A (sometimes I play this as an AP)

WR -A

CF -A

I play standard mentality and fluid.

Now I don't change the above too much but the instructions change the way games play out. If I play retain possession, drill crosses and pass into space I get a ton of possession and plenty of chances but they don't seem to be the greatest chances - low % on target. If I don't play the retain possession but leave the rest as is, I tent to not get the possession (often dominated) but get the better chances. The difference when watching a game is that retain possession, as it says on the tin, does not look for the killer pass when it could.

Can anyone help identify some things which could improve my tactic? The team seems to pay well as a unit but I think there is something I am doing wrong - maybe the instructions or maybe the positions setup.

Any help is appreciated.

You haven't got very possession minded roles. I would suggest changing the full back to wing back and take him off of auto. Maybe a support role. The trequista to an advanced playmaker. Maybe look towards a ball winning midfielder on support of a centre midfielder on support. And changing yourself to either balanced or rigid. Control would also be your best bet for a possession based tactic.

Archived