Overcoming greatly inferior opposition at home

For some reason I find that teams below 15th in the league are much harder to beat at home than stronger opposition. The problem appears to be that they just sit back, meaning that the game will play out with about three key highlights. If I commit to a more attacking mentality (moving from 'control' to 'attacking' or 'overload') I tend to concede. Often I concede early in the game just on 'control' mentality, despite having the better possession and greater chances. It's got to the point where I see an away match against mid-table opposition to be much easier match than at home against a relegation battler.

Anyone else find this? Any tips on how to deal with this?

Thanks I'll try those suggestions. My assumption was that the opposition teams are just happy to settle for a point, but I'll see if mixing things up will draw them out. Also, maybe this is my imagination, but sometimes it feels almost like the game is scripted to upset your run of results. Like I'll demolish a team in the CL, and then to even things out the game will make me lose at home to Crystal Palace or something.

That happens irl too. Bet your players are less motivated on your second match.

By the way: those defensive teams do settle for a point but will counter attack if they can. You need to use every trick in the book in order to win because they overload the defensive area. So you'll need to play around them. My suggestion is purely based on ewploiting the oppositions nerves when playing against a clear favorite (you). It might work, no guarentee here.

Thanks I'll try those suggestions. My assumption was that the opposition teams are just happy to settle for a point, but I'll see if mixing things up will draw them out. Also, maybe this is my imagination, but sometimes it feels almost like the game is scripted to upset your run of results. Like I'll demolish a team in the CL, and then to even things out the game will make me lose at home to Crystal Palace or something.

As well as slowing down the play, you can try playing wider to spread the opposition out, then maybe combine it with exploit the middle and pass into space. The idea being there will be more space between the players for you to put through balls into.

Having wide players staying wide, a defensive minded midfielder in the centre holding back a bit or a centre forward dropping off all help to recycle possession or create different angles for passes, hopefully helping to reduce the number of aimless long shots that go 10 yds over.

The false nine playing a through ball to an inside forward between the DC and FB is a particular favourite of mine. :)

Some good suggestions on here, I tend to switch to counter to draw them out a little and add the shouts play wider, pass it shorter, pass into space, lower tempo, and work the ball into box. I still control possession but tend to try to draw the opponent out and them punish them with quick balls in behind.

Wow, that's an old post of mine :) (My previous account ;))

Was just about to confirm on the advice given by madmufc. Just slow it down a bit and make the pitch as huge as possible. Make those defending ******** as tired as possible and punnish by countering. That's my tactic for those situations.

Good luck!

Archived