The Half-Back and "Freeing Up" a Player

This thread can take the form of a discussion or debate -- it can be whatever you'd like it to be -- however, if you would take the time to incorporate this tactical philosophy into your own system then report back with feedback, I'd be positively joyous!

Any and every tactic has its pros, its cons, its balances, its imbalances, and the effects of such can be more or less pronounced based on the system your opponent plays. The midfield of a 4-4-2 is potentially overrun against a 4-5-1, but should be able to deal with one striker. Against a 4-1-5 system (suspend belief for just a sec!) the 4-4-2 should easily outnumber the midfield, but may have problems against the five-man forward line—you get the idea.

Let's say I'd like to have a two-man front line with Wingers; in today's game doing so usually comes at a cost: by conceding either (1) the centre of midfield (4-4-2), or (2) the flanks (3-5-2). I'm the type of person who likes to have his cake and eat it too, and I think I've come up with a way to combat the imbalances or limitations of a system: The Half Back.

The Half Back can be employed to essentially "free up" a player and can be used in many creative ways. I'll provide two examples to offer an insight into my mindset and philosophy.

Freeing Up an Attacking Wing Back (Click Images for Larger Version)

0z7a.jpg

I understand this system may first appear to be an asymmetrical hodgepodge, but I can assure you that a lot of thought has gone into it. By employing Gareth Barry as Half Back, this is how it looks:

40kc.jpg

Buttner very much looks like a Left-Winger, which is what I wanted, Ashley Williams pulls wide as a proxy Left Back, and Gareth Barry sits in to make a nice back four—solid in the event I lose the ball. What this does is force the opposition's (Crystal Palace in this example playing a 4-2-3-1) two CMs, Jedinak and Guedioura to sit deep on Pienaar and Barkley, freeing up acres of space for my DLP James McCarthy in this instance. If Jedinak leaves his man to close down McCarthy, Ross Barkley is wide open. In other words there is always a midfielder open.

Freeing Up a Centre Forward (Click Images for Larger Version)

4lxk.jpg

In this example, Jordan Rhodes is the "spare man." Typically the player should be between Ashley Williams and Phil Jagielka and that player should be Sylvain Distin! On first glance this looks crazy, I'm playing with two CBs and no FBs!

Seeing the system in action however, it's not as maniacal as it seems:

89dt.jpg

Gareth Barry, once again because he is the team's Half Back drops nicely between my two CBs creating what looks like a basic 3-5-2. If Barry wasn't the Half Back, he'd be pushed higher up the pitch almost level with McCarthy and I'd have a suicidal two CBs manning the fort should we lost possession of the ball. In other words, if Barry was NOT the Half Back, Jordan Rhodes wouldn't be able to play because I'd require a third CB. Playing a Half Back that is capable of playing in that role also comes with the added benefit that he acts as a Deep Lying Playmaker as the ball moves up the pitch, pushing ahead of the two CBs besides him in what I'd describe as a 2-1 triangle with him at the tip. In this particular system I'm experimenting with, this results in a real nice Diamond in midfield with the Half Back at the base.

If you're thinking of utilising a Half Back, think to yourself, "What can I free up by having him there?" This applies to the rest of the game too, don't make decisions for the sake of making decisions. Every role and instruction you give each player should be for a good reason. For instance if you're playing a back four and you have a Half Back set with no particular reason in mind, all you're doing is playing with a back-five; perhaps you're better off then with playing three CBs instead? Think it out and watch the full game.

I'd love to hear of any further creative uses of the Half Back, and if you have any questions I'm always happy to help.

Looks awesome.

Some questions:

How are the 2 tq's doing together?

Wouldn't it be better to use DW-s in the 2nd tactic to provide more defensive stability on the flanks?

kazm, this isn't something I've tried and tested over any period of time, which was the point of this thread—to get a discussion going and hopefully have some people experiment a little. All I know thus far is what I've experimented with over and over again in just one game. In other words I haven't any data to support the notion that these systems are indeed sustainable over a season. It could be a complete failure! However, in every match I've experimented in, I've won; but you should know that I've been favourite in each of those games. If you want to have a discussion over that particular formation you inquired into, I'd love to, mate.

The two Trequartistas play well against the 4-2-3-1 system that Crystal Palace play in that there is usually a man over in the centre of midfield; namely James McCarthy in this particular example.* I'm wondering though if -- since Pienaar drops pretty deep into the space vacated by Gareth Barry -- that the Deep Lying Playmaker role could be changed to Centre Midfielder (Support) or Box-to-Box Midfielder (Support) to have more men getting forward. Trequartistas tend to drop pretty deep as a rule so maybe either Pienaar or Barkley could act as the team's pivot (or fulcrum) and James McCarthy could hit the space vacated by Pienaar or Barkley.

With regards to your suggestion that Defensive Wingers would be better, I'd agree with that. The only issue I see with that is if you have a "Flair Winger" like Kevin Mirallas -- conveniently a perfect example -- with a low Teamwork attribute; he's not going to want to follow your instructions too closely and track back. An Emanuele Giaccherini or an Aaron Lennon would probably be more suitable for the role.

*I set James McCarthy to Deep Lying Playmaker Support in order to be the pivot of the team, but I would never play him in that position typically, because he's more of a Box-to-Box Midfielder and -- while he's capable -- lacks the attributes I deem important for that position. Moreover he has the "Gets Forward Whenever Possible" PPM, which I think I'd like to avoid. Another role may work well though as discussed above.

I'm playing as Everton now and really like the look of your second tactic. Would love to see the rest of the screens for it.

For me, I think putting McCarthy onto a DLP defend role suits him. It would keep him central and for me it limited some of his forward runs to be only when there was a chance to be useful.

While the DW seems like a good idea on paper I would still leave your MR as a WM as there is appropriate coverage when he surges forward in the DLP - especially if you use a DLP defend or a BWM. I quite like what a BWM does when on support - pressure players then pass to a more creative player who in this case are in front of him which leads me to...

the AMC's. If you want one to be a pivot or fulcrum would an EG be appropriate? I don't know how the role works but it could be the piece of the puzzle to allow that movement and roaming of the treq.

Edit: Had a bit of a think; I've never used a BBM so he may work in the MC sport but how about a CM support? Would that provide the defensive coverage whilst allowing enough creativity to pick out passes?

I'm playing as Everton now and really like the look of your second tactic. Would love to see the rest of the screens for it.

For me, I think putting McCarthy onto a DLP defend role suits him. It would keep him central and for me it limited some of his forward runs to be only when there was a chance to be useful.

While the DW seems like a good idea on paper I would still leave your MR as a WM as there is appropriate coverage when he surges forward in the DLP - especially if you use a DLP defend or a BWM. I quite like what a BWM does when on support - pressure players then pass to a more creative player who in this case are in front of him which leads me to...

the AMC's. If you want one to be a pivot or fulcrum would an EG be appropriate? I don't know how the role works but it could be the piece of the puzzle to allow that movement and roaming of the treq.

Edit: Had a bit of a think; I've never used a BBM so he may work in the MC sport but how about a CM support? Would that provide the defensive coverage whilst allowing enough creativity to pick out passes?

Nick, tell me what you'd like to see, mate. Would you like me to go more into detail with the philosophies and player roles, etc.? I think I like Leon Osman in the Deep Lying Playmaker role if that's what we decide to stick with, then perhaps you're right an Enganche ahead of him (Barkley in this instance) would ensure his "zone of roaming" -- if you will -- is limited. Then Pienaar could stay on Treq. so he drops deeper and roams more than the Enganche. I like it. I'm up for doing some experimentation if you are.

Yeah, I'm a few more years into the game but I tend to agree with what you have. I've set up the following:

8pgm.png

I may go with the BPD as well. I would love a WTM as I don't have a WM to suit on the right but it isn't possible. I'll let you know what I come up with. Maybe a winger on support but add in some player instructions? Croos from deep and more direct passes? Might add hold position too. I'm also missing a treq but have a few players out on loan who can fill that spot.

What team instructions and player instructions are you operating with?

I was doing something similar at Liverpool with Lucas Leiva as a halfback with a back 3 behind him. The central CD directly behind Lucas was on cover duty, this made the formation an "odd" 4-4-2 when Lucas dropped back in there, effectively making a stopper cover combo between himself and the CD on cover.

I was doing something similar at Liverpool with Lucas Leiva as a halfback with a back 3 behind him. The central CD directly behind Lucas was on cover duty, this made the formation an "odd" 4-4-2 when Lucas dropped back in there, effectively making a stopper cover combo between himself and the CD on cover.
i like this. with the two outer central defenders on stopper duties this could work very well. however, i'd put gerrard in as half back and push lucas higher up as a ball winning midfielder or as a central midfielder on support. ideally you want your half back to be a creative force as well. when he's on the ball he needs to be able to pick out players who are free higher up the pitch. lucas has "plays short simple passes", so have henderson and allen. they won't pick out your advanced forward or your advanced playmaker who have made runs into space

i like this. with the two outer central defenders on stopper duties this could work very well. however, i'd put gerrard in as half back and push lucas higher up as a ball winning midfielder or as a central midfielder on support. ideally you want your half back to be a creative force as well. when he's on the ball he needs to be able to pick out players who are free higher up the pitch. lucas has "plays short simple passes", so have henderson and allen. they won't pick out your advanced forward or your advanced playmaker who have made runs into space

True, but, there is a style of play that these ppm's suit :)

Yeah, I'm a few more years into the game but I tend to agree with what you have. I've set up the following:

8pgm.png

I may go with the BPD as well. I would love a WTM as I don't have a WM to suit on the right but it isn't possible. I'll let you know what I come up with. Maybe a winger on support but add in some player instructions? Croos from deep and more direct passes? Might add hold position too. I'm also missing a treq but have a few players out on loan who can fill that spot.

What team instructions and player instructions are you operating with?

Nick, were you already playing this system before I started this thread, mate? With Everton too? Great minds really do think alike! I mean, this system is identical -- at least in shape -- to the one I set up...

Nick, were you already playing this system before I started this thread, mate? With Everton too? Great minds really do think alike! I mean, this system is identical -- at least in shape -- to the one I set up...

No, I was already playing with Everton but see a lot of benefits of what you are doing to what I want to do in my 2018 Everton side. I guessed the mentality and fluidity. Currently I have rigid and standard.

Great thread darthrodent. I have just started a save with Inter and want to play 2 AMC behind one Striker, but also was worrying about a lack of attacking width. I think I will be able to get an extra attacking fullback into the mix using the first method you posted about.

Great thread darthrodent. I have just started a save with Inter and want to play 2 AMC behind one Striker, but also was worrying about a lack of attacking width. I think I will be able to get an extra attacking fullback into the mix using the first method you posted about.

Brilliant, mate. Please post your progress and any observations you make. That's PRECISELY the type of thinking I'm trying to promote here: "Freeing Up" a position. I'm about to start a new game myself with a dodgy-looking 4-4-2 hybrid thingy! If it has potential I'll post about it. If it fails miserable I'll just pretend that I "don't have much time to play these days."

Brilliant, mate. Please post your progress and any observations you make. That's PRECISELY the type of thinking I'm trying to promote here: "Freeing Up" a position. I'm about to start a new game myself with a dodgy-looking 4-4-2 hybrid thingy! If it has potential I'll post about it. If it fails miserable I'll just pretend that I "don't have much time to play these days."

Haha yeah, well if you don't hear from me, just assume the same thing happened.

But in all seriousness. I think it should be a solid framework to build from as you naturally start from the back, so should hopefully be reasonably defensively sound, which is the way I prefer to approach from.

Will get back with how I am going, first need to finish work for the day!!

It will be interesting to see if this thread yields some more comprehensive analysis about the Half Back, than that which made me conclude "I don't like it".

I like the Half Back and his movement, but not the impact he has on the DCs.

Their initial split was fine, but I can remember feeling that they stay too wide, for too long, and that it was especially unhelpful when the Half Back steeped back into the DM and MC lines.

It will be interesting to see if this thread yields some more comprehensive analysis about the Half Back, than that which made me conclude "I don't like it".

I like the Half Back and his movement, but not the impact he has on the DCs.

Their initial split was fine, but I can remember feeling that they stay too wide, for too long, and that it was especially unhelpful when the Half Back steeped back into the DM and MC lines.

I think this was changed in one of the updates because now I don't think that the DC's split enough!!

The thing about the halfback is he really needs exceptional mental stats - especially Anticipation, Teamwork, and Positioning. I've used one with 2 DC's for a relegation threatened team, and at times he would perform brilliantly, especially in retaining possession and, as the OP said, freeing up space. The problem is mine is pretty limited in the air, and my DC's don't have the technical abilities to be trusted to play out wide as pseudo-fullbacks. Nevertheless, it did make my defense very solid, although much like most non-scoring-non-assisting midfielders, he would seldom get very high ratings.

This may be a stupid question, but what does a half-back actually do, compared to the other options available at DMC?

From viewing the screening it appears that he drops back into the d-line in possesion, right? What else?

He is not dropping back on a consistent basis actually. I have played quite a bit with the HB and he does offer a deep passing options when your team is in possession and move up as you go forward. So he can be at CB heigh more or less when you are building up play, then when the ball goes forward he moves ahead of them, reforming the classical defensive triangle. He is acting as he regular DMC when defending. CB tends to widen a little bit as well but nothing really that wide actually. I'll try to post screens later.

EDIT

I am playing asymetric 433

jKcBLwl.png

1. HB (Machin) at kick-off. Inbetween 2 CBs

6XBnHSr.png

2. HB coming short to help moving the ball forward

txMylza.png

3. HB staying inbetween 2CBs once ball is released

7t2tPyp.png

4. HB is now ahead of CB once the ball is further up the pitch

CSNcyar.png

4HBFiiL.png

5. Regular HB positioning.

So, he is doing what intended. Dropping back when in possession, defending as a regular DMC when not.

I wonder if a PPM such as 'Gets Forward When Possible' or 'Arrives Late in the Box' would be a decent choice for an aggressive Half Back? I quite like how he becomes an extra man in midfield at times...

This is my next project to do on FM14, I got it to work pretty well in FM13 (with Etienne Capoue) as part of a 3-1-4-2 system but haven't had the time to spend on adapting the role to FM14 yet, mainly 'cause when I have been playing I've been trying to get Rooney to play the way I want him to in partnership with either Kagawa or Hernandez.

After that I think I'm going to try experimenting with getting a HB / Libero to play basically the same role, just with different starting positions.

He is not dropping back on a consistent basis actually. I have played quite a bit with the HB and he does offer a deep passing options when your team is in possession and move up as you go forward. So he can be at CB heigh more or less when you are building up play, then when the ball goes forward he moves ahead of them, reforming the classical defensive triangle. He is acting as he regular DMC when defending. CB tends to widen a little bit as well but nothing really that wide actually. I'll try to post screens later.

So, he is doing what intended. Dropping back when in possession, defending as a regular DMC when not.

Interesting post.. Are you playing with Wing-backs or MR/L?? In defense, it was my understanding that the Half-back would drop into the defensive line, allowing the 2 CB's to help close down the opposition wingers?

Thanks a lot for this, NakS :thup:

Not being from the UK, I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the historic half-back role (it is fairly old terminology at least, right? Weren't they the upper corners of the M in the W-M-tactic?). Apart from his movement, what else distinguishes a HB from a regular DMC?

Never even considered using a HB, but this thread makes me wonder whether I should :) thus I'm begging for more info :)

Here is how I am playing at the moment. Above screenshots are taken with this very set-up (or the opposite here, IF-A on the right side and WB-A on the left.

c3pAl0Q.png

Actually, my aim is two folds. First, since my WB-A will get forward sooner, I want my DMC to help my CB bringing the ball forward. Moreover, my WB-S could move higher up the pitch if he feels the IF-A is leaving space wide. So I want the HB to drop in between the CBs when in possession (screen 2-3 in post #22) to offer an another passing outlet in the center in case both (or at least one) of my WB are already in attacking position. In screen 2 and 3, against 2 forwards formation (442 or 352 or 424) your CBs could be closed down soon and may be lacking forward passing options even with a naturel DMC. The HB is helping them and allow me to use the "play out of defence" shout (shorter passing) and using very offensive WB.

The 2CBs could spread a bit wide as well to cover on the flank but it may needs some fine tuning in the ME, I think they could be wider if the HB is staying deep. In screen 4, it could have been the HB has a central cover (as a libero) and the CB wide and higher up the pitch to guard the space behind WB.

When the ball is further up the picth, the HB is ahead of CBs forming the defensive triangle as you would expect with a normal DMC. Apart from this shuttling movement, nothing really stands out in term of defensive behavior. You could modify your HB with "play more risky pass" and "more direct" so that he is a kind of very deep DLP-D, a bit like Guardiola number 4 role with long ball.

On a side note with thge "play out of defense" or "shorter passing" or "attacking strategy", I feel it is very important to use a pair of HB + DLP-S because the DLP-s will then drop into the DMC space vacated by the HB and form a nice passing diamond to get round a full press. If you are using a role that is higher up the pitch, the back 3 (2CB + HB) may not always connect with the midfield.

HB+DLP is exactly what I'm using at the moment in my symmetric 433. But I use both WBs on attacking. I love seeing how my team builds from the back often with six players.

I plan to experiment with using 2 DLPs (one on support, one on defend) with a HB behind them. I use Balanced fluidity so the contrast would be even more pronounced.

Regarding the CBs, in theory they could step more forward while the HB drops if they are set as Stoppers. Maybe it's worth trying, even though it's very risky.

This thread can take the form of a discussion or debate -- it can be whatever you'd like it to be -- however, if you would take the time to incorporate this tactical philosophy into your own system then report back with feedback, I'd be positively joyous!

Any and every tactic has its pros, its cons, its balances, its imbalances, and the effects of such can be more or less pronounced based on the system your opponent plays. The midfield of a 4-4-2 is potentially overrun against a 4-5-1, but should be able to deal with one striker. Against a 4-1-5 system (suspend belief for just a sec!) the 4-4-2 should easily outnumber the midfield, but may have problems against the five-man forward line—you get the idea.

Let's say I'd like to have a two-man front line with Wingers; in today's game doing so usually comes at a cost: by conceding either (1) the centre of midfield (4-4-2), or (2) the flanks (3-5-2). I'm the type of person who likes to have his cake and eat it too, and I think I've come up with a way to combat the imbalances or limitations of a system: The Half Back.

The Half Back can be employed to essentially "free up" a player and can be used in many creative ways. I'll provide two examples to offer an insight into my mindset and philosophy.

Freeing Up an Attacking Wing Back (Click Images for Larger Version)

0z7a.jpg

I understand this system may first appear to be an asymmetrical hodgepodge, but I can assure you that a lot of thought has gone into it. By employing Gareth Barry as Half Back, this is how it looks:

40kc.jpg

Buttner very much looks like a Left-Winger, which is what I wanted, Ashley Williams pulls wide as a proxy Left Back, and Gareth Barry sits in to make a nice back four—solid in the event I lose the ball. What this does is force the opposition's (Crystal Palace in this example playing a 4-2-3-1) two CMs, Jedinak and Guedioura to sit deep on Pienaar and Barkley, freeing up acres of space for my DLP James McCarthy in this instance. If Jedinak leaves his man to close down McCarthy, Ross Barkley is wide open. In other words there is always a midfielder open.

Freeing Up a Centre Forward (Click Images for Larger Version)

4lxk.jpg

In this example, Jordan Rhodes is the "spare man." Typically the player should be between Ashley Williams and Phil Jagielka and that player should be Sylvain Distin! On first glance this looks crazy, I'm playing with two CBs and no FBs!

Seeing the system in action however, it's not as maniacal as it seems:

89dt.jpg

Gareth Barry, once again because he is the team's Half Back drops nicely between my two CBs creating what looks like a basic 3-5-2. If Barry wasn't the Half Back, he'd be pushed higher up the pitch almost level with McCarthy and I'd have a suicidal two CBs manning the fort should we lost possession of the ball. In other words, if Barry was NOT the Half Back, Jordan Rhodes wouldn't be able to play because I'd require a third CB. Playing a Half Back that is capable of playing in that role also comes with the added benefit that he acts as a Deep Lying Playmaker as the ball moves up the pitch, pushing ahead of the two CBs besides him in what I'd describe as a 2-1 triangle with him at the tip. In this particular system I'm experimenting with, this results in a real nice Diamond in midfield with the Half Back at the base.

If you're thinking of utilising a Half Back, think to yourself, "What can I free up by having him there?" This applies to the rest of the game too, don't make decisions for the sake of making decisions. Every role and instruction you give each player should be for a good reason. For instance if you're playing a back four and you have a Half Back set with no particular reason in mind, all you're doing is playing with a back-five; perhaps you're better off then with playing three CBs instead? Think it out and watch the full game.

I'd love to hear of any further creative uses of the Half Back, and if you have any questions I'm always happy to help.

i'm using everton aswell, struggling a little. What other team or player instructions are you using in the first tactic?

I'm looking to put a CF support in instead of an AF attack. What effect do you think this will have?

You should see less through balls which may lead to one on ones.

In return you may have a better link between the strata.

The AFa role of the sole striker was exactly what struck my eye the most when I saw this tactic. Does it work well, NakS? What are you doing to ensure that he is not isolated?

I actually think A CF-S + Treq-A + IF-A could get in each other way sometimes, crowding the center of the pitch.

I am using a AF-A for severall reasons. I have built a classical "playmaker - runner" by using a Treq-A at AMC and an AF-A at ST and an IF-A wide I am in position to exploit space behind defense when some is available. I have "play into space" and "more tempo" to exploit attacking transition phases

When no space behind the opponent defensive line is available and I am dominating possession, I want my ST to be into the box because he has the ability to win some aerial challenge (he is rather complete on the physical side) and because it push the defense back and create space for my Trequartista to work into. Then, I am more relying of late run from WB-A and B2B-S to create depth in my attack. The IF-A is kind of high up the pitch, sometimes in the box and is close to the AF-A but he is also starting deeper and can run with at defense with the ball (see screen #4, My Treq should be behind the AF-A in that pocket of space actually).

Moreover, my AMC is mostly creative so I don't want to rely only on the IF-A to score goals. I would have switched to an CF-S if I had a more creative striker and a more finishing AMC actually.

I guess I had better update what I am doing now:

qiqr.png

So I have juggled things around a bit but for great success. The AMR/L are both newgens as is the WBL. The WTM is pictured below:

a8zf.png

It is currently 2019. I've played 10 games with this setup for a 7-2-1 record with 25 goals for and 8 against.

I'll come back again later and update this further

I guess I had better update what I am doing now:

qiqr.png

So I have juggled things around a bit but for great success. The AMR/L are both newgens as is the WBL. The WTM is pictured below:

a8zf.png

It is currently 2019. I've played 10 games with this setup for a 7-2-1 record with 25 goals for and 8 against.

I'll come back again later and update this further

I can come back and put a bit more detail into this.

With this setup my WBR is released to become another attacker. The DCx and the HB cover his defensive duties while he surges forward to assist and score. Montoya has 4 goals and 2 assists in the last 10 with Clyne providing 1 assist in his 1 game. The WTM has also provided 1 assist and 5 goals in this time. Keenan has had 3 goals and 1 assist with Fierro hitting 7 goals. There is great time and space provided for players to get forward while also providing solid defensive coverage.

No, there is no players instructions at all except GK distribution to "defender collect". All roles and duties are default. On a game by game basis I am analyzing their wingers/conceded goals to choose on which side I am attacking with my IF-A.

Since informations is asked for, I'll provide more details. I have taken charge of the team (Boston River, D2 Uruguay) at last position (group of 14) after a bad series of only one win in 7 games.

0Nx9K6J.png

Moral was very low, tactics was 442 at that moment and was expected top half finish. I used a quite similar set-up (not the same teams instructions exactly) and managed to turn out things to finish 3rd with a couple of squad addition/release in winter break. I didn't reach automatic promotion spots (top 2) but playoffs qualification was here. The team was very solid during this elimination phase. On the whole, we only lost 4 times + 1 playoff game after the Rocha FC game.

dWSADyr.png

J3v8OxG.png

In Uruguayan D1, team is expected to finish last on 16 teams. Finished 4th in opening stage and currently 3rd in closing stage (3rd overall). A few players were back from loan, I tried to bring in some new blood when possible on my 1k transfer budget.

Q9Iqicx.png

Here are comparison screens

e6Hqk0O.png

J1OEDKg.png

kmj4onK.png

I have a quite well positioned and powerful defense but my midfield has low stamina. Nonetheless, I choose the combination of counter+hassle+play higher up because to compress space in the middle of the pitch and asking for high closing down in my midfield diamond. Moreover, I do want my diamond to press heavily on the flank, especially the B2B side. My tackling+teamwork is not bad at all, so I may win the ball back rather quickly in midfield. I did wanted a cautious game with counter attack on (pace + finishing of my forward + creativity in midfield) so that I can exploit my team advantages and I added pass into space. Finally, I wanted to "play out of defense" because in my tactical set-up I have a HB and I want to go through him and the DLP-S.

Here are some team stats.

thCmGuo.png

I do have a 46% ratio of shots on target / shot with is "ok" and 17% ratio of goals/shots with is a bit low in my opinion. Targets stats are 50% - 25%. Overall passing ratio is 76% which is not that high but I am not looking for a perfect possession game anyway. Tackling ratio is pretty good at 83% and heading ratio at 62% is a bit worrying, but again it's an average.

Next post is tactical analysis. :)

Last game against River Plate (URU)

Evnpega.png

PEu8gH9.png

bXoPwIR.png

dcwFssh.png

We dominated possession on the whole and especially in midfield although our passing ratio is quite low. It was a very contested game, both team created quality chances I had some trouble dealing with 3 central strikers. For this game I used "sit narrower" on my WBs and my right WB was set to defend when we had the lead. I dropped back my right WB into FB position as well when I saw they were using 3 forwards to add more defensive stability. I did choose though to keep my attacking WB-A higher up the pitch as they where only using FBs.

Below is the heatmap of my team where you can clearly see my shape at work

hTbQtCk.png

The HB (Rodolfo #2) is very deep inbetween the CB, as a result I could move forward with my WBL (WB-A #21). The DLP-S ( #25) drops deeps to collect ball from my back three. The B2B is in between and the Treq-A is just behind the AF-A. The IF-A is adding looks like a bit isolated on the heatmpa but he did score one and make some interesting passes.

Below are individual heatmaps of HB-D (#2), DLP-S (#21) and B2B-S (#14)

Nl9vab0.png

NQTQEVc.png

y9O1oZR.png

You can clearly see how my midfield trio is behaving my the HB guarding the defense and helping bringing the ball forward. The DLP-S is running the play and does not moves forward and the B2B-S is shuttling up and down centrally on the counter but more laterally (not much though) when we are keeping the ball.

Below are individual heatmaps of my WB-A + front three

lpTRdbG.png

vwxMkJb.png

RFYHBRb.png

UA3C4DM.png

The WB-A is playing really high on his left wing, the AF-A is not isolated at all, he does sometimes drops quite deep (no PPM involved) to link up play (scored 2) and my Treq-A is mostly moving on the right side. The IF-A is almost playing level with the Treq-A and does go into the box as well (score 1).

Enjoying this :thup:

I've been experimenting with a half back recently. After a woeful run of about 15 games without a win, I shifted to a 4-1-3-2 formation, with a Half Back and 3 Central Midfielders. What I did notice almost instantly is that the half back gives the stability to allow you to be far more adventurous with fullbacks. Although keeping them in the FB position, I set them both as Wingbacks (A), and they get forward to almost level with the strikers.

Despite picking up a couple of wins though I got the boot a few weeks later, so have started again tonight with the same system. I've kept the three in midfield, and I'm happy with a DLP in the centre of the three, as he drops a little deeper to link, but not sure about the others - tinkering still required. Preseason has gone very well, but the proof of the pudding will be when the league starts!

Archived