Creating a 4-1-2-1-2: Advice Welcomed

Hi, guys! I recently decided to drop the 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 formations that I used to play with up until recently and adopt a more different approach with more emphasis on wing backs. Basically, what I want to create is a possession based, short passing gaming game with a quicker tempo. I am currently managing Burghausen in the German Second league. This is my first season after the promotion from 3rd Division and the board expects me to avoid relegation. I am so far sitting confortably in the middle of the table halfway through the season, but I would like to adopt a new style of play, since I am not that happy with the one I've adopted. Here is what I want to try (sorry for using MS Paint, I don't have FM on this PC):

gpa1.jpg

For Clarification:

The Blue Circle - Defend Duty

The Orange Circle - Support Duty

The Red Circle - Attack Duty

CD (central defenders), A (anchor man), WB (wing back), CM (central midfielder), E (enganche), DLF (deep lying forward), AF (advanced forward)

Note: I am using the left CD with a stopper duty and the right one with a cover duty. My reasoning behind this is that I would like the CDL to secure the WB position when the WB has been neutralized down the flank. The CDR with a cover duty should reduce the danger of trough balls, since I feel this is a serious threat in the new update of FM.

Mentality: Fluid

Strategy: Control

Team Instructions: Play Out of Defense, Shorter Passing, Work Ball into Box, Be More Expressive, Look For Overlap & Hassle Opponents (depending on opposition)

My Squad: Fairly Professional

Squad Strengths: My players have an average passing attribute of 12-13 which is the 5th (as I recall :D) highest in the League. The squad has the highest decisions and anticipation attributes in the League. I have the players with the highest acceleration in the league. The creativity attribute of the squad on average is about 12-13, but I have an excellent player for the engache role with all his attributes that are required for this role being 15+, so I still would like to play more expressively. Therefore, I am looking to build the attack around him with aditional attacking options from deep, on the flanks and in the final third.

Squad Weaknesses: My players are the weakest physically and have the lowest stamina in the league. Despite the CDs and A being tall and having an average jumping reach of 15, the other players are fairly poor in the height department.

The Goal of My tactics: As I stated before, I would like to play a possession game with a control strategy. I am looking to supply attacking players with enough passes. I would like all players to act as a unit and to recreate a more 'triangular' passing style. My intention to use a DLF is motivated by my wish to further strenghten the link between midfield an attack, as well as providing more goal scoring opportunities for my AF.

My concern: My biggest concern with my tactics is that my defense will probably be too vulnerable, particularly because of the space that opens between my wingbacks and central defenders. I would need to make the best use of my defensive trio in order to tackle this problem.

I am opened to suggestions. What do you recommend I do in order to improve the tactics I want to adopt? What problem areas do you think I my face and what remedial action do you suggest I undertake? All contribution is welcomed and valued :) :)

it could probably work but i'd change your anchorman into a half back to be sure he drops between the two central defenders when not in possession to form a more conventional 3-at-the-back. when in possession he should push on to form a central midfield trio. in this formation i see little benefit in using an anchorman instead of a half back, unless you have a defensive midfielder that is really poor in passing the ball. if that's the case i'd still pick him as half back but maybe instruct him to keep it simple and lay off the ball to the wing backs or the central midfielder on support.

i have read on here that defensive wingers offer a lot more offensively than wing backs while offering as much defensively. i don't know if it's true as i tend to play with complete wing backs on attacking duties in the full back positions (complete wing backs push on incredibly high and almost form a 4-player attacking with the 2 forwards when in possession). i would assume putting your wing backs in the wing back position and in the complete wing back role would offer the same if not more offensively as my complete wing backs in the full back positions.

I'm using this formation with Ipswich. Only played a couple games but I've had some mixed results.

Here's how I usually set up:

Philosophy: Rigid

Strategy: Control (or Counter for tough road games)

Roles/duties:

GK: GK/D

DR: WB/A

DC: CD/D

DC: CD/D

DL: WB/A

DM: DM/D

MCR: BWM/S

MCL: BBM/S

AMC: Treq

STR: DLF/S

STL: AF/A

Team instructions: Work Ball Into Box, Exploit The Middle, Stay On Feet, Push Higher Up, Play Wider, Hassle Opponents, Shorter Passing.

This works great offensively, and I'm just shredding defenses with through balls through the middle like it's FM12 all over again. The hard part is staying ahead. I don't have the most technical team so it's hard to play keep ball, but if I do things like sitting deep, standing off or playing more direct I never see the ball at all.

Any advice on what team instructions I might use to make this more solid defensively?

Archived