style evolution (presets - help needed)

Firstly thank you for reading the thread, hopefully my issue will help others but lets help me out first.

Been playing the games since i was a kid but due to other commitments im having a bit of trouble adapting to this version hence the registration.

It is my understanding that roles should reflect the style of play you want to achieve and that some are not suitable. eg defensive system with a poacher up front. you are basically giving your opponent a player advantage. Am i wrong ?

Now onto my current setup (with above assumptions)

Formation: 4-5-1 or is it 4-1-2-2-1 . i think you get the idea

my side is predicted to finish mid table and whilst i might want them to play tika taka style its never gonna happen. Im in the championship with QPR couple of seasons in.

Whilst i would eventually love to play barcelona's style i think ill attempt to mirror stoke under pulis to begin with.

So i line up my team as follows

philosophy: fluid

strategy: defensive

GK,

Limited fullbacks

central defenders

anchorman

cm on support

cm attacking

defensive wingers

deep lying forward

no passengers in the team simple enough , so here is where the trouble begins . we need instructions to accompany the desired style so i went with this

go route one

pump the ball into box

play narrower

play deeper

stick to positions

stand off opponents

stay on feet

tight marking

be more disciplined

Now this system doesn't seem to be that bad . Got few results im 8th after 15 or so games , however possession is abysmal and i think the worse off sides than me get far too much off the ball and its causing few sloppy goals.

How does that setup look ? should i make any adjustments to it ?

Can anyone recommend any presets for the following styles:

possession play

counter attack

attack

high pressing tactics

am i missing any others general styles of play ? I consider what i have created is anti football style, hope i haven't offended any stoke fans .

I doubt my side will be ever good enough for possession but id settle on mourinho's counter attack

i'll take any help that i can get

A few quick tips:

defensive mentality = very deep d-line, narrow, slow tempo, etc. So of course this means you're going to be negating space, but only the space in front of goal. The rest of the pitch is open wide for other teams, so perhaps you're getting shafted in possession because of this. In fact, it's probably exactly that. Everything is space, and if you play defensively you're going to be giving up space where the other team can hold possession, but you DO restrict the space they want to use to score, so it's not necessarily "wrong."

I think it's just a case of having a lot of instructions that aren't needed. Playing "defensive" mentality is already very, you guessed it, defensive. So you probably don't need any of those instructions like: stand off, narrower, deeper line, etc. Maybe you would need them in a certain match, if you see the other team getting in behind easily, but in general I think it's making it harder for you to get results.

It's sort of like.. you're inviting unnecessary pressure onto your side. Also limited full backs are REALLY going to hamper your moves going forward. I would recommend using FB-S because they're solid defensively and can offer you something going forward.

Hope this helps a bit

maybe i have wrongly evaluated my squad. According to comparison screen thingy. My defence is very poor so maybe its a mistake that i want to by pass my midfield but at the same time , if i try to open up i will leak more goals.

im well prepared for the opposition to have the ball, its an anti football tactic. very simple , no flair just try to get to the goal and shoot. i thought by playing a defensive mentality, its very much focused on getting basic things right and not getting caught in silly positions. whilst still attempting to go forward at some stage

stand off and stick to positions was to get players into shape without the ball. narrower deep etc.. to prevent early crosses to take advantage of any players slow to get back

Full backs is interesting . should you really open them up in a defensive system ? Am i better off re-jigging the midfield to be more creative as im scared of wingers

But yeah im having a bit of trouble deciding what the best way forward is, thanks for the suggestions

My advice is this:

Yes the defensive mentality will still have some attack, the key is what kind? If you're not having any possession then you're going to be frustrated to hell. So I think you want to give your team SOME outlet, that's why I would drop the limited fullbacks. They'll really hurt your ability to get anything going. Dont fret about fullback - support, it works just fine. Also depends on your players, too :)

You could still get caught in silly positions in any system really, all depends on the players.

You need to have different ways to attack.. So if you're scared of wingers you'll desperately need help from the middle (and the fullbacks). Wingers can be helpful in a defensive system, so I wouldn't recommend getting rid of them but also it depends on what players you have.

For example in my new Leverkusen save, we don't really have much in terms of wingers. What we do have is 5 guys that can all play striker, and inside forward in the AML/AMR slots. So, I've got a tactic that uses 2 strikers and nobody in the AML/AMR spot (only wingbacks) ala Juventus with Conte 3-5-2. I've got a formation that DOES have AML/AMR (sort of a 4-1-2-2-1 ala Mourinho at Chelsea the first time) And finally a defensive formation that uses AML/AMR as outlets while packing the midfield in a 4-2-1-2-1 shape. So I've adjusted for the players we've got and devised 3 plans that fit them. It may well end up that they're often fit and so I can roll the 4-1-2-2-1 easily, but if not then the 3-5-2 is a great option as well.

If you really want to play like Stoke did, then there are four things to think about:

1. You don't want the ball.

2. Your main source of goals ought to be set plays.

3. The secondary source of goals ought to be long shots.

That's pretty much all Pulis did at Stoke - the rest was sticking ten men behind the ball and holding out.

But I don't think that's going to work if you want to get promotion.

Edit: The fourth thing to think about is that I can't count.

Firstly thank you for reading the thread, hopefully my issue will help others but lets help me out first.

Been playing the games since i was a kid but due to other commitments im having a bit of trouble adapting to this version hence the registration.

It is my understanding that roles should reflect the style of play you want to achieve and that some are not suitable. eg defensive system with a poacher up front. you are basically giving your opponent a player advantage. Am i wrong ?

Now onto my current setup (with above assumptions)

Formation: 4-5-1 or is it 4-1-2-2-1 . i think you get the idea

my side is predicted to finish mid table and whilst i might want them to play tika taka style its never gonna happen. Im in the championship with QPR couple of seasons in.

Whilst i would eventually love to play barcelona's style i think ill attempt to mirror stoke under pulis to begin with.

So i line up my team as follows

philosophy: fluid

strategy: defensive

GK,

Limited fullbacks

central defenders

anchorman

cm on support

cm attacking

defensive wingers

deep lying forward

no passengers in the team simple enough , so here is where the trouble begins . we need instructions to accompany the desired style so i went with this

go route one

pump the ball into box

play narrower

play deeper

stick to positions

stand off opponents

stay on feet

tight marking

be more disciplined

Now this system doesn't seem to be that bad . Got few results im 8th after 15 or so games , however possession is abysmal and i think the worse off sides than me get far too much off the ball and its causing few sloppy goals.

How does that setup look ? should i make any adjustments to it ?

Can anyone recommend any presets for the following styles:

possession play

counter attack

attack

high pressing tactics

am i missing any others general styles of play ? I consider what i have created is anti football style, hope i haven't offended any stoke fans .

I doubt my side will be ever good enough for possession but id settle on mourinho's counter attack

i'll take any help that i can get

Pulis normally plays with a 4-4-2, correct me if i'm wrong. And i believe that his team does press the opposition to some degree, they don't park the bus completely. And lastly, you gotta concentrate on set-pieces, they get most of their goals from there :D

Ok maybe i was wrong to call it a pulis approach but i see my current play as park the bus / anti football whatever you want to call it.

Despite average 38% possession my team is still in the mix for play offs. Had a run of bad results but i think this was due to my crappy team talks lack of morale.

But the real question is how do i evolve my style properly. Im used to playing with big teams with large budgets where i could transfer couple of players and try to recreate barca .

So the above is my base setup. If i somehow promote my team will be completely out of depth, i will have two options. Play the style that got me there or jump ship to a new club. If i stay in the division , teams will be showing me more respect so i have to open up slightly.

I cant make many transfers so i need to be clever. Thinking direct counter attacking tactic might do the trick. Open up my wings slightly by playing fullbacks and wingers (fullbacks support and wingers attacking)

changing instructions to:

more direct passing

pass into space

exploit the flanks

much higher tempo

this would really depend on drafting in 2 wingers to do the job.

Are those instructions sufficient or do i need anything else? Am i approaching the game correctly.

These touch line instructions confuse me , so i would like to develop presets for different styles of play so that i can adjust as i get better players in

Kalous-less,

Something to consider: teams that "park the bus" don't do it for every second of every game. But what they do is apply that idea effectively when they need to. For example, Chelsea parked the bus against Barcelona in the CL in 2012 but they didn't always park it. They played pretty defensive (compared to Mourinho now) but they had a specific plan for a specific game rather than saying: we need to always park it.

Chelsea is probably not the best example but you get the idea.

If you're used to playing with big teams then it's going to be a rough transition I'm sure, but I think the idea is going to be to grind out results. This means: watching games in FULL, not in comprehensive or whatever else. Watch them in full because you'll probably need to be a very active manager.

I believe you'd also want to adapt your team strategy accordingly. Defensive is a good place to start. But perhaps you play against a team that's just as weak? Then try "standard" and go from there. Try to just view it as if you were actually managing in real life, what would you do? (if you don't know about that then perhaps go out and read "inverting the pyramid", or buy one of the mainstream soccer coaching/tactics books)

But of course to play FM and enjoy it one does not need to read up on how to coach soccer. But it may help you if you want to get seriously into it all..

Also perhaps try 1 winger on attack and 1 full back on support / 1 full back on attack and 1 winger on support. Keeping it assymetric will give your team better balance and overlaps. I never use two wingers on attack anymore. Always 1 and 1 attack + support. Same with my fullbacks, barring any circumstances where I need them both on support (or perhaps defend if desperate to hold on at 90')

Hope this helps a bit

Archived