anyone tried a lone target man up front?

im curious as to whether anyone has tried or had some success with only 1 target man up front?

at the moment im playing with 2 up front 1 of them being a target man on support. he is 6f 8in with strong jumping and strength stats. I have a AF playing off him. to score from his flick ons. now it appears to work some what with my TM winning on average 28 of his 30 headers. he gets a few assists but very rarely scores. after seeing his stats I changed him to attack and he went on to score 2 goals in the very next match. his got m thinking? is it possible to have him sit uptop and supply him with constant crosses from wingers and full backs?

im thinking of playing a 451 with dm and two wingers to bomb down and supply crosses from the byline. now im not sure if this is possible? my question is can it be done or is a TM suited to a two man attack?

It would be enormously one dimensional and as you'll typically play sides using two central defenders, they can just double up on the Target Man and reduce his impact.

If you are using a Target Man alone, I think he has to be on Support and holding up play for onrushing midfield Roles.

It would be enormously one dimensional and as you'll typically play sides using two central defenders, they can just double up on the Target Man and reduce his impact.

If you are using a Target Man alone, I think he has to be on Support and holding up play for onrushing midfield Roles.

cheers for the reply. what if his height and jumping stats were greater than the opposing defenders?

cheers for the reply. what if his height and jumping stats were greater than the opposing defenders?

If it came down to just a couple of attributes, everyone would play Route One to some hulking 6' 8" monsters.

The player needs the awareness and intelligence to make runs and find pockets of space.

Even if he is a few inches taller than the defenders, he still has two of them to deal with.

Furthermore, you'd need to consider what Plan B is, for when the supply to the Target Man gets stopped.

Playing a target man up top occasionally can be very effective as a Plan C. I've used Zlatan in exactly this role on numerous occasions when facing teams who like to sit deep and have good enough players to make the spaces in the middle of the attacking third be incredibly restricted.

But it only worked for me because I have fast, dangerous inside forwards, I'm fairly sure. Most of the penetration actually came from players drifting to try to stop Zlatan and ignoring Brandt or Shaarawy (well, before Tony Pulis' Arsenal broke his leg) - which let them cut dangerous crosses into the near post area for Ibra to slam home. So not really anything to do with his height, directly.

If it came down to just a couple of attributes, everyone would play Route One to some hulking 6' 8" monsters.

The player needs the awareness and intelligence to make runs and find pockets of space.

Even if he is a few inches taller than the defenders, he still has two of them to deal with.

Furthermore, you'd need to consider what Plan B is, for when the supply to the Target Man gets stopped.

your right, it was rubbish!

Target Man - Support is probably the role I use most often in lone striker formations (granted I don't use a lone striker very often, I prefer a 3-5-2). 've never had a problem getting a lone Target Man working though, he just needs people running into the box to get flick ons etc.

I basically took Foggia from Serie C2 to Serie A using most a sole Target Man. I have tried both the TM:A and the TM:S and agree that as a lone STC, a TM:S can be used as a pivot for your attackers to catch up.

You can use a TM:A if you have your AML/AMR as inside forwards. You have to mess around with what works, what are you going to put your CM's as? What is your base mentality? Since the formation is fairly defensive, are you going to push up your defensive line?

If he has the height and the jump, you can pump crosses early and float them to be pretty successful, but the real question is, do you have people who can supply good to him? How is your wing play in the front and the back?

Target man up front and if he is slow like Ibra do float crosses near post. You will not be dissapointed, if the target man is quick then drill crosses if slow float. I have Ibra in my 4th season for Milan and he scored 16 goals in 25 matches for me.

He scored goals 10 from headers, 4 goals from penalties and 2 from either foot. Target Man Support is brilliant. Or I use a Advanced Forward attack.

im curious as to whether anyone has tried or had some success with only 1 target man up front?

at the moment im playing with 2 up front 1 of them being a target man on support. he is 6f 8in with strong jumping and strength stats. I have a AF playing off him. to score from his flick ons. now it appears to work some what with my TM winning on average 28 of his 30 headers. he gets a few assists but very rarely scores. after seeing his stats I changed him to attack and he went on to score 2 goals in the very next match. his got m thinking? is it possible to have him sit uptop and supply him with constant crosses from wingers and full backs?

im thinking of playing a 451 with dm and two wingers to bomb down and supply crosses from the byline. now im not sure if this is possible? my question is can it be done or is a TM suited to a two man attack?

I manage Derby County and play with Conor Sammon as a TM (support).

He is the team's first goalscorer with 16 goals and 3rd in assists.

Basically he is battering ram for the Rams struggle to get to the Premiership.:D

7 games to go, we re top of the league, 3 points clear.

Needless to say i want Sammon's children.

Archived