Looking for some tips for RVP (4-2-4)

Hello. I feel I need to say, I never had fm 13, I loved 12 FAR too much to give it up. So 14 came, I tried the beta and decided I'd take a gamble :). Now, I play as Man Utd, I'm playing a '4-2-4' that's set out.....4 at the back with both FB's on S until we're winning comfortably. Then, a DM D or a HB D, my CM plays as an AP on attack. I use two wide players, both support, 1 is an IF. Two frontmen are AF and P. That's where I seem to see a few problems. I've won all 11 league games and find my side unbeaten in everything else. BUT, I can't get the best out of RVP at the moment. Unless he plays alone or it takes 3 average/poor games for him to find the net and improve. Before people start on 'its your tactics' theme, we fashion chances in the 30s. Not saying all are CCC but RVP as a poacher you'd expect him to hit the net. I've tried many roles for him, as I have rooney just trying to get goals for him but it just seems he can't get his form going. Well, goalscoring form anyway. Anyone got a roles for them to play together what will see my side take their chances?

A few games back, at home to Ajax in the UCL we won 3-0. They never had a shot on goal and 41% possession. We had 38 shots, 17 on target and 7 CCC. RVP missed 2. But there's other games where nowt happens for him and Chicha is looking more like my first choice. Which saddens me. My familiarity is very nearly full for my tactic and it is successful because in all honesty, we win away lol. Our performance doesn't decline, the homeside obviously fashion chances but we dominate and win. So far this season the player that looks best is carrick, kagawa is also doing well and rooney has been playing well. Its just RVP that seems to have problems.

The problems here are standout:

• You have an Advanced Forward and Poacher, to be frank the worst pairing you could possibly have, a player who tends to finish moves and another who only finishes moves. Have a support duty and an attack duty.
  • Both FB's & both Wide men on support means there is no meaningful movement. Enhanced in the middle where the AP(A) gets forward sometimes, and no-one is dropping deep or coming inside to help.
  • I have no idea what your philosophy or team instructions are, or your player instructions and we need to know these to help a bit more.

Basically our mentality is attacking and fluid. I get them to; pass into space, exploit flanks, look for the overlap, push higher up, stick to positions, hassle opponents, be more expressive and higher tempo.

I'll try Roo as a DLF in support for 5 games, see how we go. There don't appear to be any kind of tactful problems, I'd address it myself. Just RVP is failing and Chicha does well - and I don't get that because he's a beast!

Wayne Rooney & Robin Van Persie both have "Comes Deep to Get Ball" ppm, so playing him as a poacher doesn't seem to fit. Also I don't think he's quick enough off the mark (acceleration) to be a poacher whereas Hernandez is.

He'd be better as the AF or as a CF support/attack so he can drop deep and drift wide and use his creative abilities. You could play both as CF's, one with support and the other attack duties.

Wayne Rooney & Robin Van Persie both have "Comes Deep to Get Ball" ppm, so playing him as a poacher doesn't seem to fit. Also I don't think he's quick enough off the mark (acceleration) to be a poacher whereas Hernandez is.

He'd be better as the AF or as a CF support/attack so he can drop deep and drift wide and use his creative abilities. You could play both as CF's, one with support and the other attack duties.

You are right in one respect, but he has chances and don't seem to score. I'll try some different ways after we destroy BATE again, this time away lol. I'm resting RVP though

You're playing 4-2-4?

Have you watched United at all this season? Then you know exactly why you should pick a different formation. ;)

Joking aside...

Rooney is rubbish, sell him. No, really. He just doesn't fit into the squad anywhere, and he's nowhere near as good as Kagawa or van Persie, tbh. Kagawa is more dangerous as an attacking midfielder and I'd rather have the extra man in midfield and play van Persie up top alone than have "I don't even know what position I play" Wayne ambling around like a moron getting nothing done.

Hm, segued into RL there for a moment. Still, the point holds; Rooney destroys the balance of the squad and the teamsheet.

If you insist on keeping Rooney, play him as a DLF(S) so he can "support" his far more talented strike partner and, in theory, provide a link between your understaffed midfield and underbrained attack. ;)

(Sidenote: may be a little annoyed about the match earlier...)

Archived