Learning a new language

Not quite sure if this has already been dealt with elsewhere or even if it's a bug of some sort but here goes anyway. I've been the manager of Ajax for 4 years now and I still only speak basic Dutch. I have foreign players like Honda who I bought during the first winter window, who already spoke basic Dutch, and hasn't learnt the language fully. I have other foreign players who have been with me for 3-4 years who don't even speak basic Dutch. I know that some players take longer than others but none of my players are picking up the language and I'm pretty much sure that in previous editions, as a manager you learn a language pretty quickly. To counter this, I've basically gone for a team full of Dutchmen, which wasn't really my objective but it's really frustrating having players with language issues.

Is anybody else familiar with this problem ?

Not quite sure if this has already been dealt with elsewhere or even if it's a bug of some sort but here goes anyway. I've been the manager of Ajax for 4 years now and I still only speak basic Dutch. I have foreign players like Honda who I bought during the first winter window, who already spoke basic Dutch, and hasn't learnt the language fully. I have other foreign players who have been with me for 3-4 years who don't even speak basic Dutch. I know that some players take longer than others but none of my players are picking up the language and I'm pretty much sure that in previous editions, as a manager you learn a language pretty quickly. To counter this, I've basically gone for a team full of Dutchmen, which wasn't really my objective but it's really frustrating having players with language issues.

Is anybody else familiar with this problem ?

As far as I'm aware it's to do with the adaptability stat. Whether that is hidden or not I don't remember. Should think though in Honda's case coming from Japan. The culture and language are massively different so it would normally take a little longer to adapt fully, in real life!

One thing I'd like to see on FM (as petty as it might seem) is 1. to be able to pick which languages you already speak during manager creation. If I can speak X language but I am on English I shouldn't need to pick say English and Spanish nationality just to get it. and 2. being able to take language course for you and players on the game. Again so If im managing in say England and I think "ok I'd like to move to a German team soon" take the German course and then it makes the transition easier.

I think the language barrier can be better implemented in FM, if you are moving to a new country where you don't know the language, there should be less conversation options during Press Conferences and Player Discussions/Team Talks/Board Requests, until "x" amount of time has passed and you get a better grasp of things.

I think the language barrier can be better implemented in FM, if you are moving to a new country where you don't know the language, there should be less conversation options during Press Conferences and Player Discussions/Team Talks/Board Requests, until "x" amount of time has passed and you get a better grasp of things.

Yes, this! I've always thought that! I've tried the 'im managing in france, lets play in French'and even though I can read French to a pretty sh*t level :D You still spend way to much time on Google translate haha

Yes, this! I've always thought that! I've tried the 'im managing in france, lets play in French'and even though I can read French to a pretty sh*t level :D You still spend way to much time on Google translate haha

haha, maybe there would be less tactical options also. Maybe add the option for the club to hire an interpreter?

haha, maybe there would be less tactical options also. Maybe add the option for the club to hire an interpreter?

Which im sure they do so it would make sense. Could finally put manages wages to use. Fine people will argue its not important but it adds some immersion to the game surely.

Which im sure they do so it would make sense. Could finally put manages wages to use. Fine people will argue its not important but it adds some immersion to the game surely.

The manager wouldn't use his own wages to pay for an interpreter though/

It depends on the language difficulty mostly from what I gather. Adaptability plays a role too, not sure if language influence does. Perhaps it makes it faster to learn if it's influential.

What I'd like as a new feature would be the ability to decide to learn a new language that has nothing to do with your location. Be it because you want to learn the language that a lot of your foreign players speak (eg being an Italian manager and learning Spanish & Portuguese to communicate better with your South American players) or because you aspire to manage in a country that uses that language. So being a Croatian or Russian manager by default you won't speak English, but trying to learn a new language would open doors for you. Because let's face it, the top 4 leagues don't really use translators since the managers who are signed tend to speak the language. So this should result into a language barrier for job offers. On my current save I receive tons of job offers from all corners of Europe. English, Russian, Italian, French, German, Austrian, Belgian, Ukranian, Spanish, Portuguese clubs etc. The languages I speak are German, Serbian, French, Italian and Greek, being a Swiss-Serb (combination I did because I love having many languages as I speak 4 languages myself) manager based on Cyprus for 5 years. Spanish and English clubs shouldn't be really trying to sign me...

Archived