Suggestion: manager mode (no coaching involved)

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. Haven't seen a specific Suggestions board or anything similar. Been playing CM/FM for 20 years now, but haven't posted here for prolly a decade!

In short: I'm interested in management and finances in football. Not interested in training or tactics. I want to be Franco Baldini, not Andre Villas-Boas.

The way I've been playing FM for the last couple of years: signing/selling players/staff, 1-day holidays before every game, then 4-month holidays after the transfer window shuts down. The two variations are a) designing & imposing a specific tactic and starting 11, b) leaving everything to the assistant.

Questions I'm asking myself:

1) Surely I'm not the only one. Or am I?

2) Has this been discussed/proposed/implemented on the internets before? Links please!

3) Why not design a Manager Mode in the future versions of FM, so that I don't have to lie to my chairman and manually go on holidays?

4) Or maybe I've been living under a rock and such a mode already exists? Or at least a more elegant way to implement it yourself?

5) Could this way of playing FM find its place in the Challenges section?

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. Haven't seen a specific Suggestions board or anything similar. Been playing CM/FM for 20 years now, but haven't posted here for prolly a decade!

In short: I'm interested in management and finances in football. Not interested in training or tactics. I want to be Franco Baldini, not Andre Villas-Boas.

The way I've been playing FM for the last couple of years: signing/selling players/staff, 1-day holidays before every game, then 4-month holidays after the transfer window shuts down. The two variations are a) designing & imposing a specific tactic and starting 11, b) leaving everything to the assistant.

Questions I'm asking myself:

1) Surely I'm not the only one. Or am I?

2) Has this been discussed/proposed/implemented on the internets before? Links please!

3) Why not design a Manager Mode in the future versions of FM, so that I don't have to lie to my chairman and manually go on holidays?

4) Or maybe I've been living under a rock and such a mode already exists? Or at least a more elegant way to implement it yourself?

5) Could this way of playing FM find its place in the Challenges section?

Strange this is posted. I was thinking to add my piece to the future wishlists thread of being able to be only the GM (General Manager) when managing in the MLS. As with US style sport set ups they have the GM (business end, signing/selling/finances ect) and below him is the Manager (tactics/training ect)

Indeed Gareth, my affliction could very well be caused by a parallel NBA addiction.

However, note that in football the GM job isn't limited to MLS either. Only in the UK many coaches are GM's too. (Andre Villas-Boas being a famous exception, since he explicitly asked to be excluded from GM activities.) But on the continent such a combo rather rare.

That being said, the GM task might be split between a number of people (e.g. Nerlinger/Sammer with Hoeness for Bayern) and GM's are not covered in the media quite as often unless they're constantly tortured between a know-it-all coach and a know-it-all president/owner (Jorge Valdano for Real).

Also, added this to future wishlists, thanks for the idea: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/306914-What-s-that-A-new-Wishlist-Thread-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-FM-versions.?p=9290283&viewfull=1#post9290283

I would love to see this as well, mainly because I am pretty crap at tactics and I always seem to upset one player in team talks, even if the other ten are happy (I actually had a player ask to leave the club because of my team talks). I would love to have an interview process where I pose the questions and demands, and have other interactions like the manager asking for a better MC or another coach, for example. I think that this would be a very fun addition to the game.

(I actually had a player ask to leave the club because of my team talks).

I was once fired because I was totally disgusted with a performance and went on a mad rage fining every player on the team 2 weeks wages for it! I thought it was justified!! and well surely I was saying the club money too

For me personally.... I probably wouldn't enjoy this for too long and would end up bored with not enough to do.

Au contraire, there is always some expensive primadonna to nurse after you paid zillions to sign him but the coach won't even let him play!

But yeah, I can understand it's a bit boring unless you're really into passing through entire generations of regens :)

FMC is pretty close to this

Like I said in the challenge thread: unlike FMC, this one is all about accepting that a lot of MAJOR tasks are completely out of your control, because effectively you're not the coach anymore. For example, there's no way for you to have any control over the starting 11, the formation, the tactic, the rotation etc. That in itself is a great challenge already, because leaving anything to chance is so difficult to us FM addicts :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/306914-What-s-that-A-new-Wishlist-Thread-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-FM-versions.

But frankly, it's not a direction SI will go for anytime soon I imagine. What is suggested here is some sort of Director of Football game .. which has been suggested every year for many years, but is completely against what the game is striving for... the most realistic MANAGER game, which the tactics, first team affairs etc are a vital part of (if not arguably the most important).

Either way, there's a suggestion thread above.

Archived