Opponent shot efficiency

Hi all,

Since I started my current FM-career with Sparta Prague, I've noticed that the shot efficiency of my opponents always is unbelievably high. For example my latest match:

Sparta Prague 1 - 1 Dinamo Bucharest

Shots: 12 - 1

This wasn't an incident: it happens to me all the time.

Naturally, I've been considering why this happens so often but I can't quite figure it out.

I'm playing a 4-3-2-1 (DM) system. My left and right backs are set as wing backs with an automatic role (team mentality is set at control) and my central defenders are simply set as central defenders with a defensive role. I haven't set any player instructions for them.

I've noticed that I concede most goals through counter attacks and corners.

Anyone have any advice on what to do with this situation?

Help is much appreciated.

It's almost certainly caused by the defensive tactical shape of your tactics. Every tactic I've looked at that has complained about this happening has always left massive holes when attacking, allowing an easy counter attack opportunity for the opposition. If your players fail to stop that counter attack, then the opposition will have a very good chance of scoring.

Best way to combat it is with a more rigid and patient side, with a formation that leaves no gaps.

If you want the perfect example of this happening in real life, watch the Newcastle/Swansea match from a few weeks ago. Newcastle were solid in the first half, no real chances being given to Swansea. Swansea then get a lucky goal before half time. In the second half, Newcastle's defensive shape is thrown out the window and everyone is running about all over the place - leaving massive gaps that Swansea were able to waltz through and score more goals.

The tactical forum has many threads based around this concept.

Archived