Everybody loves an underdog....

Pelz

It's true, everybody does indeed love an underdog.

However, I genuinely do believe that SI have put so much emphasis on the underdog status this year, perhaps wanting to replicate some fantastic achievements of players past... After noticing an alarming pattern in my own matches, consistently winning against superior sides and losing against clubs not once but twice a season despite them being bottom of the table having only scraped draws again against sides they have no right competing against I decided to do a little experiment... the results were startling...

As manager of FC Midtjylland in the Danish Superliga I played out an entire season using the default database, finishing a respectable third. Out of curiosity I replayed the same season yet with (for the first time in FM14) a vastly superior side... I used the database editor to seriously enhance all players stats, reputation, club stature and even went as far as editing players club preference to only wanting to play for FC Midt. Using the very same tactics with far superior players I finished 8th (I also approached all player interaction, press conferences and the rest in the same fashion) and was consistently left frustrated by my players inability to find the back of the net, string two passes together (unless in a cup run against sides I have no right competing with) or even do the basics correctly.

Thinking this season might just be a fluke I then decided to replicate exactly the same but using only one substitute, Morten Koch (our amateur goalkeeper) and he ended the year as our leading goalscorer.. Left flank, right, centre back... It really didn't matter where I brought the little git on.... he would always pop up with important goals from ridiculous situations at the exact moment I felt like giving up thinking all was lost... in 24 games he scored 19 times (never once as a starter), our main striker only managing 4... What's wrong with this picture?!

Ac Milan were consistently relegated, Newcastle seemed to always win the Premier League, Nottingham Forest despite struggling in the Championship won the FA Cup beating Man Utd, Chelsea and Everton on the way... The list of improbable situations truly is endless...

... Counter attacking is overpowered, AI's ability to adapt at an instance to any tactical setup you may throw at them (and I've tried them all) is ridiculous, player interaction is simply frustrating with you replaying the exact same conversation with different responses yet always getting the same angsty outcome (what I really hate is being advised by your Ass Man to approach a subject passionately despite you being unable to do so)... The simple programming errors throughout the game are endless... Goalkeeping errors are a joke, December slumps in form for no reason whatsoever are even more so... I could go on forever... Warn against complacency and concede within seconds of the restart, praise a player and find they miraculously go on a goal drought, warn a player and they just perform worse, bid £78m for a regen worth 26k and have it rejected yet put up with consistent bids that always unsettle your players at a quarter of their onscreen value... Physicality counts far more thank skill...

The game is truly a mess...

Upload your default save game and bring it up in the bugs forum if you think its such a serious issue.

Also, if you up your reputation but keep the same tactics, opposing teams WILL change your tactics. I've had the same happen to me after I win one-two championships where I start to struggle to break down teams. Usually some minor tweaking on my end and placing mentality to 'Control' has always been enough to tilt most games back into my favor.

The AI is adaptable and tactical decisions/gambles need to be made when games suddenly swing momentum. Transfer bids need to be made after thorough scouting.

For every one of posts like yours, there are dozens of us who have had career games that span decades with little to no problems whatsoever reaching consistent glory.

Upload your default save game and bring it up in the bugs forum if you think its such a serious issue.

Also, if you up your reputation but keep the same tactics, opposing teams WILL change your tactics. I've had the same happen to me after I win one-two championships where I start to struggle to break down teams. Usually some minor tweaking on my end and placing mentality to 'Control' has always been enough to tilt most games back into my favor.

The AI is adaptable and tactical decisions/gambles need to be made when games suddenly swing momentum. Transfer bids need to be made after thorough scouting.

For every one of posts like yours, there are dozens of us who have had career games that span decades with little to no problems whatsoever reaching consistent glory.

If i had a penny for every PKM, video or any other details I've uploaded in the last couple of months I'd certainly not be sat online right now complaining to the likes of you guys ;) Pretty sure I'm the only person so far to upload a video of a goal from a direct throw in... There is absolutely no explanation for my amateur goalkeeper, used only as a sub, being leading goalscorer. Tactically I like to think I'm okay, but it genuinely does seem that with every update I'm simply adapting to counteract ME issues and not those you'd expect from genuine football... Oh i don't know, am just so disappointed... Sorry for ranting!

Ps. I also put major emphasis into scouting and my general staff set up - maybe more so than I do with my players... Determination, motivation, discipline are always key aspects I look for when hiring staff... Scouting, and you surely have to admit this, despite the quality of your staff is way off.. Pretty sure there's bug where you're advised, despite the player being more than good enough for your side, that he's recommended as a player not worthwhile...

Yup even with the top teams the best way to play is on the counter. Playing a high line attacking system is almost useless now, as space is too tight to break the opposition down and you'll be caught on break. I solved this by dropping deeper, upping temp and passing into space but its odd as hell that I have to essentially play a more defensive system against the weaker team and an attacking one against the best sides. It should be the other way around.

Frustratingly, playets also seem to lack 'personality' on this edition' and you don't reaaly feel you get what you pay for when it comes to signings as performances appear somewhat random, I.e your reserve gk being top scorer.

A winger with 15+ dribbling doesn't arrempt to go past his man

A top striker misses countless one on ones

Players with 18+ first touch can't trap a ball

Players with great corner taking swing a corner out of play every game

Etc

Archived