Help tuning my tactic defensively

I have finally managed to create a tactic which seems to create plenty of chances and my striker scores goals.

I don't think the tactic is too attacking yet I seem to be leaking goals.

Looking for a bit of guidance to help me tighten up defensively without disrupting my attacking play.

Tactic used and my preferred team

yev7.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am currently sitting 11th in the premier league which I can't accept is the correct position for a squad of this quality. A large part of my problem is conceding from set pieces therefore a bit of guidance on them would be appreciated also.

Assists for goals conceded

s9lg.jpg

As you can see alot of assists are coming from wide areas, telling me that either the fullbacks are not doing a good enough job or they are being overloaded. I want to try to correct this without changing the shape of my team as this tactic is the only one I like lol.

I have taken some screenshots from a recent match against Fulham which I felt I was the better side yet I lost 3-0.

ra74.jpg

tfk8.jpg

ri8x.jpg

iqhb.jpg

ay1d.jpg

I hope the information I have provided is useful and hopefully you will be able to help me get some more enjoyment from the game :-)

Cheers

It could be because you are hassling opponents so the fullbacks are over stretching and overreaching when closing down, which will cause them to be out of position etc. Have a look back at one of your games and view the tackles etc of your fullbacks especially the ones missed and see why he's missing them. You can click the dots on the analysis tab to view the clips back quickly. You'll know if its due to high closing down etc then.

Shorter passing and pass into space might cause some issues, you'll have to pay attention to the number of interceptions you're conceding. Watching the match closely is the only way to tell this for sure.

Be More Expressive and Hassle Opponents together will sabotage your defensive shape regularly, and a fluid approach will only confound it further.

All three of those affect a player's positioning on the pitch, which means your team will regularly be leaving spaces for the opposition to play through. It may be beneficial to cut those three out completely, and then start introducing fluidity, or more individual expressive freedoms, in turn until you get the balance between attacking and defending right for your team.

I have had a look at the tackling Cleon in the game which I lost 3-0 but the tackles in the fullback areas are all green which would suggest that they are winning the tackles.

dkm6.jpg

What about the interceptions though?

Ackter makes some great points too.

Cheers Ackter. Would dropping those 3 instructions not have a detrimental affect on my offensive play?

Initially, possibly. But in order to win, you really need to get your defensive shape right first and build from there.

As a sweeping generalisation, the average FM user approaches tactics in the same way Kevin Keegan did. Attack, attack, attack. FM14, and the latest patch in particular, has drastically improved defensive and counter attacking AI so people who look at attack alone are getting horribly punished for doing so.

Hi Steve i think you would be better swapping the 'be more expressive' instruction to 'be more disciplined', you will still create plenty of chances, also try dropping deep instruction to counter the long ball over top. this will give you a greater shape:)

What about the interceptions though?

Ackter makes some great points too.

Here are my missed interceptions alone in the game I lost 3-0. There are quite a few all over the pitch. Would you say this is a high amount of missed interceptions?

k1pw.jpg

I am going to try and remove the 3 team instructions that Ackter suggested and see if this helps.

Can you suggest anyway of not conceding as many from corners?

Hi Steve i think you would be better swapping the 'be more expressive' instruction to 'be more disciplined', you will still create plenty of chances, also try dropping deep instruction to counter the long ball over top. this will give you a greater shape:)

Cheers Gav, long balls over the top don't really seem to be an issue in my setup but they have in the past

Is your team full of short technical players (most people tend to go for the highly technical players when team building, and the best of these are often very short).

Basically, the bigger and stronger your team is overall, the better you'll be at defending (and attacking) corners.

In my catenaccio thread, nearly every goal I conceded was from corners as I had the shortest average team in the league. For the next season I set about replacing some of them with bigger, stronger, if slightly technically inferior players, and the number of conceded corner goals dropped like a shot. Basically I went from the shortest average to the 3rd tallest average (iirc) in one summer. I replaced my attacking fullback for a physical monster (nearly a foot difference in height :D) and also replaced two of my midfield with taller, stronger players.

Again, though, its about getting the right balance for you.

My average height in the squad is 5ft 11". The tallest in the league has an average of 6ft 2" which is Stoke. I do have quite a tall defence which have good marking etc however my midfield is quite slight I guess with the likes of Coutinho, Joe Allen, Moses etc.

Archived