An Unorthodox Approach to the 14.2 ME - Testers Wanted

Hello fellow FMer's, like most of you I have become fed up with the 14.2 ME and searched for ways to minimize the impact of the ME's flaws and I think I may have found it. Ive been playing with Wolves since the game was released and guided them to the BPL with two straight promotions. From there I gradually worked my way up the table to finish 8th in 2016/2017 but then the dreaded 14.2 update was released and found myself just above the relegation zone for 2017/2018. For the 2018/2019 season i utilized the same tactic but realized it wasn't going to get to me to where I wanted to be. I had tried many of the successful tactics for the 14.2 ME and nothing had immediate or long term success. Thats when I said "SCREW IT, im gonna sit down and analyze all these tactics and whats wrong with them". Thats when I came up with some conclusions:

Problems with Most Tactics

- utilize a very high tempo, often leading to CB errors or errors in the midfield because of the ME's first touch system

- cause a lot of bunching up inside of your own box

- do not defend crosses well enough

- do not create enough CCC's or shots

The Tactic -

lNcykgE.png?2

Team Instructions -

- Hassle Opponents

- Push Higher Up

- Retain Possession

- Shorter Passing

- Play out of Defence

- Drill Crosses

- Lower Tempo

- Get Stuck In

Player Instructions

Only for CM AND DLP

- close down more

- tackle harder

At this point, most of you are probably looking at the formation and thinking WTF? But I assure you its not all that crazy.

Why I Chose This Formation

- Solid coverage at the back

- Midfield won't get overrun and allows for shorter passing success

- 2 wingers and 2 strikers press higher up keeping the opposing team in their own end and forcing CB or CM errors

- Wingers will track all the way back to help in defense

- I prefer playing with two strikers to vary the way in which I can attack (on the ground or in the air)

The Results (current season)

hzqLK0Y.png?1

Match Analysis - From Most Recent Match

gos6x77.png?1?1897

LbuejT3.png?1

BQfE2Ld.png?1

jnjbKik.png?1

QYUrK1N.png?1?4063

Known Weaknesses

- difficulty vs 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1

- defenders can be outpaced if ball is played over the top

- all the usual 14.2 ME weaknesses such as stupid own goals or stupid passes by GK

- Goals from corners placed at back post have been minimized but are still more frequent than Id like

Training

Pre-Season training is one month of tactics and teamwork, then another month of fitness along with many friendly matches

I use Balanced - Very High and Def. Set Pieces for Pre-Match Training

THE TACTIC DOWNLOAD

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/21870105/file.html

Please give this tactic a whirl, preferably from the beginning of a season and give me your feedback. If you have any questions or want more insight into some of the results i have achieved, do not hesitate to ask.

try using middle defender on cover and a sweeper keeper to cut out being outpaced with ball over top

I took your advice and it greatly reduced goal scoring opportunities from being beaten over the top.

Final Results After One Season

This tactic really turned my fortunes around and allowed me to qualify for the Champions League while tying Chelsea for most Goals For during the season. Andre Schurrle finished second in scoring with 21 goals and his strike partner David Mercier (a regen) finished the season with 13. This is the first time with the 14.2 ME that my strikers have scored consistently. Despite this, I am not too pleased with my goals against record and I must say the amount of own goals and goals allowed from corners to the far post in the 14.2 ME is rather disheartening

nIesG2O.png

Previous Season's Results

RHNSWdd.png

Archived