Signing players on a free transfer 18 months before their contract expires?

Somehow, I seem to have managed to sign a player on a free 18 months before his contract with his existing club (Bayern Munich) expires. He was on my shortlist, and in the Jan transfer window I got a message saying I could approach to sign him, which I did. When I saw that he didn't appear in my squad on 1st July I investigated and found he still has a full year to run on his Bayern contract. Should this be possible?

I had the same thing happen to me signing a youngster from Real Madrid, offered him a contract in Jan but come July 1st he still had a year to run on his deal and stayed at Madrid before signing for me a year later when his contract expired. I assumed an option on his contract kicked in when it shouldn't have done and moved on but I don't really know what happened.

It's the only time that's happened to me in 15 seasons.

Could be tested by adding another manager to the players team and try and trigger the clause once the pre-contract has been confirmed.

Not on FM atm, and a few months away from 1 Jan in my save, but will give it a go when I eventually get there.

Archived