Transfer List by Request

Playing as Watford, Troy Deeney, my star striker, has handed in a transfer request because he wants to play for a bigger club in a higher division. I promised him we'd gain promotion not this year but the next. He didn't buy it, so I acquiesced to his request. Now, though, we're on a roll, his morale is superb, and he just scored two goals in a big win. I wonder if there have ever been instances where players have changed their minds about wanting to leave, or if there is a way to try to persuade him to change his mind. Any thoughts?

Yes players do change their minds and come off the transfer list if they feel the situation has changed.

In the long run though players who want to play for a bigger club will eventually have to be let go as its unlucky you'll be able to keep up with their ambition.

EDIT

Unlucky? Thats supposed to be unlikely :o

In my experience you should not promise them anything. Instead, you should say I will be the one who decides whether you stay or go. Usually they will say they see it from your perspective and "I'll get on with my football".

Amongst the options given that one seems the most harsh and nasty, but when players play up you need to be like that. It's almost a trick question scenario.

I agree, also by allowing the transfer request you are leaving it up to the player to decide when or if he comes of the transfer list. If you deny him the request he will be unhappy but they usually come around given time. The only thing you gain from agreeing to a transfer request is that you don't have to pay out the remaining loyalty bonus. I've had Benteke ask for transfer twice a year for three seasons. Usually he is unhappy for a few months (but still plays well) and then he forgets about it. Reaching the end of season four and he's still in my team and just signed a new contract ;)

What's amusing is when you transfer-list them for value or even less, and they get no interest..."See there, boy, no one else WANTS you - get back to practice and shut your little yiphole." It's rare when I transfer-list someone that they end up in a better situation, and I've had player exercise their Bosman and end up retiring when no one picks them up. I'm running a sports-entertainment business here, you don't like the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Archived