Potential Update on Player Development

Two gripes I have with football manager are the way young players develop and the fact that loaning a player to a smaller league still doesn’t seem too affective. Firstly, I would like to introduce my idea of fluctuating potentials, this is where a players potential ability can change due to a number of factors up until the age of 20 (could easily be 18 or 21) the same factors that are in the game currently can be used such as first team exposure, tutoring and personality. My next idea is called “League Culture” which is basically giving identities to divisions and making certain attributes more important and more likely to develop, if you want your young player to be a little bit tougher you could send him on loan to league 2 for 3 months to develop stats such as Strength, Bravery and Aggression. He could then be loaned to Italy to become more cultured and pick up stats such as passing, creativity and technique. Premier League (Speed, Stamina and First Touch).

Example

Young CM at Chelsea – 16 Years Old CA 90 PA 140

Age 16 – Tutored by Lampard Personality change.

Chelsea Reserves - Apps 30 Goals 13 Assists 18 Avg Rating 8.20

CA 95 PA 145

Age 17 – Loaned to AFC Wimbledon (League 2)

AFC Wimbledon – Apps 42 Goals 10 Assists 15 Avg Rating 8.0

CA 110 PA 155 (Physically and Mentally Stronger)

Age 18 – Loaned to Perugia (Serie B)

Perugia – Apps 35 Goals 8 Assists 12 Avg Rating 7.7

CA 120 PA 160 (Become more cultured)

Age 19 – Loaned to Watford (Championship)

Watford – Apps 12 Goals 0 Assists 5

CA 123 PA 153 (Not proved at higher level)

Age 20 - PA would remain at 153

Not sure if these are possible in future version but would certainly give a degree of uncertainty as too which players will become future stars.

While I like the idea of the "league culture", think that would be great if it could be worked out n implemented properly, I have to say I am against the idea of dynamic potential. A player will only every reach one certain level, and I feel this is reflected in the game as it is now. The way the game works now, imo, is fine. Just because a player has a pa of 190 doesn't mean to say he will reach that level, and it is dependent on a whole host of things.

Playing devil's advocate a wee bit I suppose in using that and saying.. The game already HAS dynamic potential implemented, as not every player will reach the value that they have been assigned.

I certainly don't think potential should change. At the end of the day a player has a maximum potential, reaching that potential is the challenge. I do like the idea of being able to give instructions to the managers of the clubs you're loaning your players too. That's certainly one way which could make loaning youngsters out a bit more likely for me. At the moment i rarely loan out one of my youngesters unless they're already of good quality and can go to a decent team in europe (currently have 2 youngsters at celtic, 1 at valencia and 1 at Porto). Right now i see no benefit at all in sending a player to league 1 and in most cases the championship simply because they're not getting trained where i want them to get trained. This certainly an area of the game that can be improved

Archived