Could you play on with a pulled hamstring?

Just had a game on my new save where Rooney got one of those green injury things - checked his profile mid-game for it to say 'potential thigh injury', I played him on and took him off in the second half, mainly because one of the widgets told me that he was unaffected by his knock, and yet post-game I'm told he's out for three weeks with a pulled hamstring. First I've heard of a player being able to play on for that long, seemingly unaffected by his knock as the game tells me, only for me to then be told he has a pulled hamstring. Is that realistic? Or do you think injuries in this game are waaay overdue a look?

Just had a game on my new save where Rooney got one of those green injury things - checked his profile mid-game for it to say 'potential thigh injury', I played him on and took him off in the second half, mainly because one of the widgets told me that he was unaffected by his knock, and yet post-game I'm told he's out for three weeks with a pulled hamstring. First I've heard of a player being able to play on for that long, seemingly unaffected by his knock as the game tells me, only for me to then be told he has a pulled hamstring. Is that realistic? Or do you think injuries in this game are waaay overdue a look?

You can play on. It's not recommended, but you can play on. I would have overruled the advice, and pulled him off once I saw potential thigh injury. So yeah that scenario is realistic.

Yeah, it might not even have been that bad to begin with, but you'd make it worse by playing on. When you're warm you would feel a lot less pain.

A torn hamstring on the other hand you cannot play on with.

You reckon you could play on with a pulled hamstring eh?

Players have played on, It depends on how bad. Rooney did it with a hamstring last season, and groin injury this season. Its not recommended which is usually why most get pulled off by their managers. Which is what you had the choice to do, but didn't.

Joe Miller once played most of a game with a fractured leg, didnt find out until after the game. Its not always clear cut. Years ago players would have definitely played on with pulled hamstrings, its not a new injury, its just clubs are far more protective of players now a days.

Joe Miller once played most of a game with a fractured leg, didnt find out until after the game. Its not always clear cut. Years ago players would have definitely played on with pulled hamstrings, its not a new injury, its just clubs are far more protective of players now a days.

The famous City keeper who played with a broken neck too!

I think tweak and pull may be the difference here. Whenever you see a player pull a hamstring they immediately signal to the bench. Is it possible to tweak a hamstring and play on?

This just happened with one of my players. I used to play regularly and there is absolutely no way you can carry on with a pulled hamstring. You can struggle on for a few minutes but it drastically affects your movement and you end up making it worse and tearing it completely. Continuing a game with a pulled hamstring for more than a few minutes is impossible. There's so many silly, unrealistic faults with this game!

As above i think there would be no chance of playing with a pulled hamstring. Maybe they could if it was just a strain.

The whole point is how bad the injury is at time. Players have played on with minor injuries, only for it to be much worse after the 90.

It's not cut and dried. It also doesnt mean injuries dont need remodelled (they do) But in this one scenario, which is all we have to work with, no its not particuarly unrealistic. It's also not sensible either. Manager should have taken him off when he saw it was a suspected thigh injury. To counter, I've seen players in this come off immediately with pulled hamstrings. Severity is modelled in game

The famous City keeper who played with a broken neck too!

I think tweak and pull may be the difference here. Whenever you see a player pull a hamstring they immediately signal to the bench. Is it possible to tweak a hamstring and play on?

Pretty sure now Celtic captain Scott Brown, back in his days with Hibs played on with a broken leg. Thought it was just a bruise until he had x rays the next day.

It depends on the severity of the injury, and the circumstances. Adrenaline can mask pain, and the drive of a professional athlete can overcome a lot - which is why what seems minor in the moment can appear/feel devastating the following day. For a serious hamstring injury, most people would have problems standing, let alone playing football.

Unaffected?

Yes. I'm a baseball player and last season I tore ligaments in my knee. I finished the game unaffected, went to the hospital after and was on crutches for 4 weeks after.

When you're already playing and adrenaline is pumping you can play through a lot of things that you couldn't start a game with.

pulled muscles are alot difference to a "strain". Trust me, ive suffered from tears, pulls and strains, and the only one you could play on with is a strain. If you pull it, you know, its a "tugging" at your leg every step you take.. you could play on but wouldnt be able to walk or kick with any comfort or power. Tears are goodnight. Strains are niggles ,you feel a little jab and it feels somewhat like a corked leg.

I have had my share of strained and pulled hamstring injuries (and more for that matter).

You don't play unaffected with a pulled hamstring. A severely strained hamstring really depends on the player but it's hard to go unaffected there as well.

A simple strained hamstring you can play full 90 minutes with, although it isn't recommended. I did that a couple of times and i'm still struggling today.

It doesn't even come close to "seems to be unaffected". It will show, and it won't take long before it does even if you try to play on.

I've never suffered a hamstring injury, but my guess is that there's no way in hell you could play on unaffected. I wouldn't think the player would be able to do much either...wouldn't be able to run or move properly, so the team would be really playing with 10 men even with him on the pitch. Plus if he did play on the chances of the injury getting worse would increase.

I used to play rugby, and a few years ago I played two 7's matches with a hamstring strain. I would say that at first the adrenaline was pumping and while I was conscious of a slight pain it wasn't actually too bad. But then after cooling down between the semi and the final it started to hurt a lot more. By the end of the second match (about 45 mins after I reckon I strained it) I could barely stand and did actually fall over -- by that point the game was lost and so I just left the field and went to the St Johns people...

I used to play rugby, and a few years ago I played two 7's matches with a hamstring strain. I would say that at first the adrenaline was pumping and while I was conscious of a slight pain it wasn't actually too bad. But then after cooling down between the semi and the final it started to hurt a lot more.
Exactly this. I've played matches on 3 consecutive days with pulled hamstrings in both feet. Don't ask me how I managed that! :D Its mostly the adrenaline rush. But then after each game I could barely stand. But then my performance was certainly affected. I couldn't run at top speed or stretch.

Did find this at orthopedics.about.com:

Pulled Hamstring

A pulled hamstring, also called a hamstring strain, is a tear of the hamstring muscle fibers. Hamstring tears are usually graded similar to other types of muscle strains:

• Grade I Hamstring Strain: Mild discomfort, often no disability. Tearing of the muscle fibers is microscopic, essentially stretching the muscle too far. Usually minimal limitations in activity.
  • Grade II Hamstring Strain: Moderate discomfort, can limit an athlete's ability to perform activities such as running and jumping. May have moderate swelling and bruising.
  • Grade III Hamstring Strain: Severe injury that can cause pain with walking. Muscle fibers significantly or completely torn, potentially requiring surgical intervention. Often patients complain of muscle spasm, swelling, and significant bruising.

Muscle strains and tears most commonly occur because of what is called an eccentric contraction. When an eccentric contraction of the muscle occurs, the muscle is trying to contract while another force (the ground, another player, etc.) is forcing the muscle in the opposite direction. This creates tremendous force on the muscle, and if the force is strong enough, it will tear the muscle fibers.

Highly doubt FM goes that deep though :D

Archived